The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Isn't baldness an indication about a lack of testosterone?
    Gosh, I hope so.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Wonder.

Loved it. Fantastic movie.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Wonder.

Loved it. Fantastic movie.
        They should show this film to every Jr High at the first of the school year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          Hostiles. I am in love with this movie, for me it's the best western since Lonesome Dove, coincidentally about two other veterans of the Civil and Indian wars IIRC. Christian Bales buries himself so deeply in his character that all through his first scene I wasn't positive that it was him. The critics say that the first scene is memorably horrific, and I agree, but the first scene with Bales (nearing retirement and talking with his best friend and fellow 20-year veteran of the Indian Wars) was great acting, lighting, directing, and cinematography.

I was previously acquainted with Rosamund Pike's work in Gone Girl and her littering up the screen in my favorite Jack Reacher flick, and her performance here is better than anything she has done before. I'm betting that she says less than 200 words the entire movie, and has to emote with her eyes and her body. Wes Studi is also great, like he always is when they let his characters go beyond the typical tobacco store indian characterization.

The movie shows the Bales character truly grappling with his soul and transcending his history in a manner that makes DiCaprio and the Bear look disneyish. The script doesn't fall prey to trite plot templates. When Rosamund Pike's character turns to comfort Bales in a tent in a storm, there is no physical attraction there- just an offer to share one personal set of miseries with another.

This part is delicate: at one point in the movie all three women are raped. A monstrous thing, but precious little time can be expended on dwelling on the atrocity. There is so much danger and the women have experienced so many other brutalities it is almost as if they tell each other to walk it off; the company needs to keep moving and they are still alive.

Spoiler for Spoiler+:
          In the plot theme "Boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back," sometime the losing girl part of the plot is so thin you think, watching, "Brother, when will they get back together?" In this movie, I was completely fooled. But at the end of the movie, when he hops onto the train just as it pulls out of the station, the audience erupts into applause.
          I saw this last night. Pretty much had the opposite reaction to KL. Bale's transformation from guy willing to disobey a direct order to transport the Chief because he hates these Indians so much to guy willing to kill and be killed to make sure the Chief can stay buried in his ancestral lands felt rushed and inauthentic. Same with Pike. Her family was brutally slaughtered by Native Americans, but when one of them loans her a dress (I realize she is from a different tribe than the killers), she not only comes back from a full mental break, she does a full 180 on the natives. Even good so far as to adopt the orphaned boy.

I also felt like Bale's character was a little too much supreme hard ass/blubbering emotional wreck. Them sprinkle in some I don't give a shit stoicism just for fun.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The Greatest Showman is entertaining as hell. I don’t care what the critics say!

Interesting that the reaction to the movie (audiences love it, critics hate it) recapitulates the story in the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              The Greatest Showman is entertaining as hell. I don’t care what the critics say!

Interesting that the reaction to the movie (audiences love it, critics hate it) recapitulates the story in the movie.
              I haven't seen it, but my sister-in-law has my children hooked on the soundtrack.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                I haven't seen it, but my sister-in-law has my children hooked on the soundtrack.
                I haven't seen it yet. My wife has seen it 6 times and my kids play it nonstop on Amazon Echo

Comment

• Annihilation was pretty awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    I've seen in 3 times, and am hooked on the soundtrack as well. It really is great.

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Logan Lucky - So good. Love the whole thing although it was a little long. Definitely recommend. Quirky enough to be awesome but doesn't try too hard.

Lady Bird - Deserving of all the praise it's being given. I actually liked it more than Logan Lucky. The relationship between the girl and her mom almost paralleled the relationship between MJ and our oldest daughter. The ending was perfect and I loved when the mom drove away from teh airport and cried. Plus, I loved when she went in a bought all that stuff from the convenience store

Darkest Hour - Saw it in the theater. Almost fell asleep. Too slow for me and the climax of the movie not even being fictional kind of sucked. Good performances all around and I'm glad England did what it did, but Americans were the real heroes of WWII...as any American and French person will tell you. Felt like I needed to go back and watch Saving Private Ryan afterwards

Dunkirk - Saw it again (this time with subtitles). It's a masterpiece. Better the second time.

Thor Ragnarok - Ugh. Why do I watch these superhero movies. Couple of laughs but this movie was really msising Natalie Portman.

Black Panther - Same tired crap from Marvel, although this turd was at least a bit more polished. Didn't fall asleep but didn't love it. Michael B Jordan sucks at acting but he's ripped I’ll add that gollum was crazy good in this as was the lead actor.
                      Last edited by Moliere; 03-01-2018, 04:41 AM.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        Annihilation was pretty awesome.
                        I cant decide how I feel about this movie.

Some internet blogger has determined that the movie is all about cancer. I have a different interpretation, but can see the cancer parallels even though some of it is reaching. The movie certainly is beautiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Thor Ragnarok - Ugh. Why do I watch these superhero movies. Couple of laughs but this movie was really msising Natalie Portman.

Black Panther - Same tired crap from Marvel, although this turd was at least a bit more polished. Didn't fall asleep but didn't love it. Michael B Jordan sucks at acting but he's ripped I’ll add that gollum was crazy good in this as was the lead actor.
                          We are all asking the same thing.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Darkest Hour - Saw it in the theater. Almost fell asleep. Too slow for me and the climax of the movie not even being fictional kind of sucked. Good performances all around and I'm glad England did what it did, but Americans were the real heroes of WWII...as any American and French person will tell you. Felt like I needed to go back and watch Saving Private Ryan afterwards
                            Factual?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              We are all asking the same thing.
                              I would like to pre-subscribe to his no-doubt scintillating upcoming review of Avengers III: Infinity War!
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I would like to pre-subscribe to his no-doubt scintillating upcoming review of Avengers III: Infinity War!
                                Spoiler: it sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X