No announcement yet.

2018 BYU Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You had a guy named Zadock Dinkelman decommit? Dodged a bullet with that one.

Comment

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like Dink might end up at UTSA. That says quite a bit about how his star has fallen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Look at Dinkelmans Hudl video. For a big kid, he has the worst delivery and mechanics I have ever seen. He throws this funky, short arm motion. Similar to the Matt Berry shot-put. It is really ugly and he has no arm strength at all. Every ball he threw his receivers were open by 10 yards and he underthrew them making them wait for the ball. He can go to UTSA, I am fine with that.

BYU missed on Cammon Cooper from Lehi and Zach Wilson from Corner Canyon. Cooper is gone for sure but they are trying to make a late run at Zach Wilson who is a Boise commit. With McKee most likely not coming, we are desperate for a qb in this class. I thought we might make a late run at Kenyon Oblad but he committed to UNLV yesterday.

I also expect BYU to pull that lurpy Herriman Qbs offer. Blake Freeland, he is terrible. He completed 42% of his passes, threw more ints than tds, and on the season he only threw for 80 yards a game. Ty sucked at evaluating QB talent.
        *Banned*

Comment

I know it’s way to early to say it, but I’m beginning to think Ty just sucks as a coach, period. He’d be better off in the ADs office doing appearances and fundraising. I hope he doesn’t take the QB coach job

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I know it’s way to early to say it, but I’m beginning to think Ty just sucks as a coach, period. He’d be better off in the ADs office doing appearances and fundraising. I hope he doesn’t take the QB coach job

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              BYU missed on Cammon Cooper from Lehi and Zach Wilson from Corner Canyon. Cooper is gone for sure but they are trying to make a late run at Zach Wilson who is a Boise commit. With McKee most likely not coming, we are desperate for a qb in this class. I thought we might make a late run at Kenyon Oblad but he committed to UNLV yesterday.
              Do you think Cooper would've come to BYU had we offered? Playing QB in a Mike Leech system has to be most high school QBs dreams.

I'm not sure I agree with you that we're desperate for a QB to sign this class as an underclassman - unless you feel like our QB cupboard is in the shitter. Hoge will be a Junior. Critchlow will be a Soph next year. Wilstead will be a Freshman. Jaren Hall will be home from his mission and likely redshirt. It'd definitely be nice to sign a guy this year, but I don't feel like it's critical.

I'm a believer that in an ideal world, you're signing a QB every class. But with BYU and missions, that can be a bit tricky. Hall coming home from his mission is basically that QB for me. It may not be a bad idea to try and find a JC guy next season either way. And I'd say we definitely need a QB in next class no matter what. Maybe two if one is a mission-first kid.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Look at Dinkelmans Hudl video. For a big kid, he has the worst delivery and mechanics I have ever seen. He throws this funky, short arm motion. Similar to the Matt Berry shot-put. It is really ugly and he has no arm strength at all. Every ball he threw his receivers were open by 10 yards and he underthrew them making them wait for the ball. He can go to UTSA, I am fine with that.

I also expect BYU to pull that lurpy Herriman Qbs offer. Blake Freeland, he is terrible. He completed 42% of his passes, threw more ints than tds, and on the season he only threw for 80 yards a game. Ty sucked at evaluating QB talent.
                We played both Lehi and Corner Canyon this year and both QB’s were well beyond anyone else I saw this year in Utah. I was surprised neither seemed to have interest from BYU.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                  Do you think Cooper would've come to BYU had we offered? Playing QB in a Mike Leech system has to be most high school QBs dreams.

I'm not sure I agree with you that we're desperate for a QB to sign this class as an underclassman - unless you feel like our QB cupboard is in the shitter. Hoge will be a Junior. Critchlow will be a Soph next year. Wilstead will be a Freshman. Jaren Hall will be home from his mission and likely redshirt. It'd definitely be nice to sign a guy this year, but I don't feel like it's critical.

I'm a believer that in an ideal world, you're signing a QB every class. But with BYU and missions, that can be a bit tricky. Hall coming home from his mission is basically that QB for me. It may not be a bad idea to try and find a JC guy next season either way. And I'd say we definitely need a QB in next class no matter what. Maybe two if one is a mission-first kid.
                  From what I have heard, Kody Wilstead has not looked good at all.

To be honest I saw flashes from Ginger Joe, but I don't think Critchlow or Hoge are the answer moving forward.

A JC qb like a Jason Beck, Brendan Gaskins or even better a Christian Stewart would be a nice addition to this team. If BYU does go after Paul Peterson, I could see them offering Shane Johnson from Snow College. He threw for 2200 yards and ran for 600 last season, he also accounted for 29 total tds (passing and rushing) and only 5 ints. He is 6'2 220 so decent size.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Now you get it!
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      From what I have heard, Kody Wilstead has not looked good at all.

To be honest I saw flashes from Ginger Joe, but I don't think Critchlow or Hoge are the answer moving forward.

A JC qb like a Jason Beck, Brendan Gaskins or even better a Christian Stewart would be a nice addition to this team. If BYU does go after Paul Peterson, I could see them offering Shane Johnson from Snow College. He threw for 2200 yards and ran for 600 last season, he also accounted for 29 total tds (passing and rushing) and only 5 ints. He is 6'2 220 so decent size.
                      The practice I watched (which was spring, for what it's worth) Wilstead's delivery looked long and slow. But he's also a freshman. Maybe in two years he can be more ready to contribute.

If you had to have a one-year stop gap, I think Hoge could be that guy (I'm assuming Mangum is either done-zo or gone-zo). The biggest concern I have with him is his ability to stay healthy. Critchlow honestly did some good things at QB this year. Few true Freshman QBs have shown as much as he did, so I'm not totally out on him. I do think with more reps and focused coaching, he can get to the point of being the QB of an 8-10 win BYU team.

I am higher on Jaren Hall. I did like his film (quite a bit, actually). But I do think he'll need two years before he's ready to play. Maybe three.

Truthfully, depending on Mangum and Hoge's health, a JC QB option may not be a terrible idea anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                        Lol. It's WAY LATE!
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Stacy Conner, a former UNLV QB commit out of DFW area switches commitment to BYU.

His hudl highlights are so-so, but I can see why the coaches would like his upside.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            Stacy Conner, a former UNLV QB commit out of DFW area switches commitment to BYU.

His hudl highlights are so-so, but I can see why the coaches would like his upside.
                            Doesn’t he know TFD isnt our OC anymore? I thought that slammed the door shut on BYU recruiting Texas

Comment

• Apparently, Micah Simon (and ZD’s decommit) are responsible.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• my understanding was that Freeland was coming as a TE. even if Detmer sucks at evaluating QB talent, i can't believe he would such THAT bad. Freeland can't play at all.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X