No announcement yet.

Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is hysterical. BGRTHNUMEGO has taken over DDD's account.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      This is hysterical. BGRTHNUMEGO has taken over DDD's account.
      How so? I haven't used any stats to show that Deron Williams is better than Chris Paul.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Offensive efficiency, defensive efficiency, MOV. It's like I went away and came back to a whole new DDD er...BGRTHNUMEGO. It's like -- gasp -- an actual basketball discussion.
        Last edited by MarkGrace; 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM.

Comment

The Lakers are unwatchable at times. As a fan, it's difficult to sit there and watch them not give a crap for 40 minutes, and then decide it's time to win. I was hopeful when the season started that they were on a "Quest" to destroy teams, and go for the throat when the build that 12-15 point lead. Now, just a couple weeks later, they look like the same old Lakers who know they can turn on the offense in the closing minutes, and pull games out. As others have already said on this thread, the defense they played to start the year has already deteriorated. They have so much on offense, it likely won't matter until the finals where they will again be exposed if things don't change.

Comment

Offensive efficiency, defensive efficiency, MOV. It's like I went away and came back to a whole new DDD er...BGRTHNUMEGO.
            Nah, I have always been fine with a few rankings here and there....who has the best overall offense, the best overall defense.

The schtick I find to be ridiculous is when we start looking at minutae for individual players. I find that to be boring. Williams, Paul.....the endless debate comparing their PER...who cares....neither made it to the Finals last year and neither will make it this year.

I have tried to be realistic about the Lakers. I was surprised they made it to the Finals last year because I thought their best chance was making it to the WCF and then losing to the Spurs. They obviously hit their stride in May and they made into the Finals. This year, I completely expect them to make it to the Finals. Based off the first 15 or so games, I would have said that they would be able to clamp down on Boston. But like I noted above, their poor habits have resurfaced. Now I am not convinced they can even keep Rondo out of the paint.

It seems to be easier for teams to play great offense all season than to commit to great defense. I would have assumed that running all game would tax you more physically, but by many accounts, playing lock down defense is more draining, which is why teams have a hard time being consistent. Boston has found that consistency. The Lakers haven't.

But I do think that barring injuries, this entire season is a huge waste of time. It will be LA and Boston again in the Finals.

sigpic

Comment

The schtick I find to be ridiculous is when we start looking at minutae for individual players. I find that to be boring. Williams, Paul.....the endless debate comparing their PER...who cares....neither made it to the Finals last year and neither will make it this year.
              The funnest part. You are clearly a fun hater. You must also be a freedom hater.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                No wonder you are a Dodger fan you are the perfect fit for their screw stats style of management. Sure the NBA isn't nearly as exciting as MLB for individual stats, but the advanced statistics are great. It will be great once basketball prospectus gets going at full speed, but it will always be inferior to baseball prospectus.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Basketball stats will always be inferior to baseball because of the inability to isolate performance. They are advancing and getting more interesting every year, but they'll never be able to tell us much about a player as baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    No wonder you are a Dodger fan you are the perfect fit for their screw stats style of management. Sure the NBA isn't nearly as exciting as MLB for individual stats, but the advanced statistics are great. It will be great once basketball prospectus gets going at full speed, but it will always be inferior to baseball prospectus.
                    I can only think of one good use for baseball stats.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I can only think of one good use for baseball stats.
                      If you one good use is improving your overall quality of life, I agree with you.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                        If you one good use is improving your overall quality of life, I agree with you.
                        As a matter of fact, it does impact my quality of life.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Basketball stats will always be inferior to baseball because of the inability to isolate performance. They are advancing and getting more interesting every year, but they'll never be able to tell us much about a player as baseball.
                          Did you see basketball prospectus player projections for the year. It was a very interesting project and will be even more interesting to see how accurate it is after the first season. You are right though how much more difficult it is to create basketball statistics. It is more on par with trying to establish good statistics to measure defensive contributions in baseball.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...?articleid=423
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

For those BYU fans that are suffering from shock and jealousy, take heart....at least you missed Utah's loss to the Lakers tonight.

The Celtics have quietly lost some games. Now the Lakers and Celtics are all tied up in the loss column.

Official upset alert: the Cavaliers were only a quarter away from beating the Celtics and going to the NBA finals last summer. They also have only 5 losses so far this season.

sigpic

Comment

For those BYU fans that are suffering from shock and jealousy, take heart....at least you missed Utah's loss to the Lakers tonight.
                              I only count Jazz road losses if they are wearing the baby blues. To me tonight never happened.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

The Celtics have quietly lost some games. Now the Lakers and Celtics are all tied up in the loss column.

Official upset alert: the Cavaliers were only a quarter away from beating the Celtics and going to the NBA finals last summer. They also have only 5 losses so far this season.
                                I kept an eye on the score while watching the Utes destory Bama. One of the bright spots for me.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X