No announcement yet.

Indexing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheesh. What on earth is wrong with some inmates converting paper data into digital, searchable data? Especially when they enjoy doing it?

You guys try way too hard sometimes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I'm still not a fan of indexing. I guess it stems from my disinterest in genealogy.
      My wife's side is much more interesting to me than my own (sorry, ancestors). The Chinese kept really good records of the men (not so much of the wives and daughters), so whenever we do her family names at the temple, we have people born in the 7th and 8th centuries. I started learning about Chinese history and what life was like for people then because doing their work made me curious. I still don't do the actual genealogy, but I'm more interested in it now.
      Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Sheesh. What on earth is wrong with some inmates converting paper data into digital, searchable data? Especially when they enjoy doing it?

Super bizarre comment.

Did somebody say there was something wrong with prisoners indexing?
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Super bizarre comment.

Apparently JL takes indexing very seriously.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Super bizarre comment.

All this in response to an article about prisoners doing indexing:

The church is even emasculating prisoners these days.
            Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I'm still not a fan of indexing. I guess it stems from my disinterest in genealogy.
            Same. But I think it stems from my disinterest in doing boring stuff.
            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Yeah, same here. But I guess I would be a fan if I was in prison and had nothing better to do.
            You are all too badass for indexing. We get that. But if the inmates genuinely enjoy it and it provides a useful service that benefits virtually anyone in the world interested in genealogy, then why not? Sounds like a great program.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Apparently JL takes indexing very seriously.
              Never tried it.

Comment

You are all too badass for indexing. We get that. But if the inmates genuinely enjoy it and it provides a useful service that benefits virtually anyone in the world interested in genealogy, then why not? Sounds like a great program.
                I thought my comment about the church emasculating prisoners was obviously TIC. I'm one of the defenders of the faith on here, JL! Sheesh.

The other comments you quoted were referencing indexing in general and Ted's post even defended the practice specific to prisoners.

I agree that it sounds like a good program.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Like I said, it most likely beats making license plates. I wonder how much it pays.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The church use to have an indexing app for mobile devices. It sucked so they pulled it.

What they need to do is create a mobile app that makes a game out of indexing with a leaderboard:

"Look... JL knock off 20,000 names from the obituaries during the ward council meeting. The Dude is in the zone!"
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      Like I said, it most likely beats making license plates. I wonder how much it pays.
                      I'd think it'd be volunteer work. When I was in the Big House, I remember inmates making less than $1/hour with most jobs. On the work crews, though, it seemed they could make up to a little more than minimum wage. The entrepreneur in me thinks there's a labor force here that should be exploited.

Comment

I don't even know what indexing is, but not because of coolness.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                          My parents served as missionaries at the Utah State Prison, working in the family history center there. Many of the inmates really enjoy the work.
                          My parents did as well. The young couple I used to home teach were also called and every month our visits were simply discussing the unique aspects of their visits.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            I don't even know what indexing is, but not because of coolness.

Of course, in about ten years robots will most likely be able do this better than us humans. Our ancestors have been waiting a lot time but another ten years most likely won't hurt them.

Edit: I wonder when the church will get robots to do the temple work as well.
                            Last edited by Uncle Ted; 01-20-2015, 09:05 AM.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So that's what it is, then? Data entry?

It already seemed boring. Knowing it is data entry makes it seem even more boring.

But I agree it is probably more exciting than twiddling your thumbs in a prison cell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                The entrepreneur in me thinks there's a labor force here that should be exploited.
                                The warden at Shawshank had the same idea.
                                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X