No announcement yet.

The Official Jimmerphilia Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimmer's 32 in the 1st half more than any other MWC player in a game this season.
    Sick.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      Sick.
      Another sick stat. Our starting 5 combined for 102 points. 2nd most this season in the NCAA.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Jimmer makes Cousy cut.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14898
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Another sick stat. Our starting 5 combined for 102 points. 2nd most this season in the NCAA.
          102 combined points.

So much for the argument that BYU is a one-man show.

Jackson Emery is a good teammate and deserves some sort of hook-up from Jimmer when Jimmer makes it to the Association.

In any other era, Jackson would be a star at BYU. He just picked up the all-time steals record from Danny Ainge. And he is mostly an afterthought on the team because he plays alongside Jimmer. Meanwhile, he will quietly go about his game next week, making 3s and stealing the ball.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Take away JWat's 7 assists last night, and Fredette had more assists (6) than the rest of the Utes combined (4).

Comment

Deadspin.com on Jimmer:

BYU's Jimmer Fredette hung 47 on Utah last night, three of which came on the shot you see here. If you didn't love watching him already, now you will.

Fredette has become what Stephen Curry was a few years back, what Chris Jackson was a few more years back, what Pete Maravich and Rick Mount were many years back: a basketball folk hero. I'm plagiarizing myself here, but whenever a phenomenon like this arrives on the scene it's more than worth repeating. There are guys like LeBron and Jordan and Wilt who find new vectors and blow the game wide open. And there are guys like Fredette and Curry and Jackson who solve the game as it is, who don't invent new angles so much as master the ones already there, and with a touch of that old carnival-midway spirit. You worship the former. You fall in love with the latter.

Look at what Fredette did last night: 47 points on just 28 shots (6-for-9 from three and 9-for-9 from the line). He scored with that shrug of a jumper of his — he pulls the shot from his ear, like a coin trick — and he scored with those clever little flips around the basket. Maybe he's not yet NBA material, but anyone who calls him unathletic has an impossibly pinched definition of the word. He knows how to create space for himself, and he finishes at the rim extraordinarily well for a guard. If that isn't "athleticism," then I'm Billy Paultz.

I've always been a sucker for players like Fredette, guys who are doing massé and jumps and draw shots while everyone else is shooting straight pool. Cults rise up around them. People get weird. They come by the thousands to see Rick Mount play a high school game in 1965. They run away from home to visit Chris Jackson at LSU. "He makes me so happy," explained the 8-year-old girl. They draw cartoons about Jimmer Fredette. They make movies and write songs, and sometimes — like T.J. Fredette, Jimmer's brother — they do both at once. You've probably seen this. It's terrible. I've watched the the damn thing three times today.

Next year, in all likelihood, Jimmer will be just another player on someone's bench, a guy with a great coin trick and no chance to perform it. Enjoy him now. He'll make you happy.
              *Banned*

Comment

Cool guys don't look at explosions. They blow stuff up and they walk away. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVMMGI2JcI&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube - Jimmer Fredette Half Court Shot[/nomedia]!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVMMGI2JcI&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE]
                Last edited by creekster; 01-12-2011, 12:04 PM.
                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

http://twitter.com/#!/CougarStats/st...77638436192256
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Crimson (SLC)
                    Jimmer from BYU may be an okay college player ...
                    Look in the dictionary under zoot. LOL.
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Deadspin.com on Jimmer:
                      Nice piece. Watching him last night, especially the halftime 3, I thought of the Jimmer/Maravich comparision. They're different in many ways (including heart rate), but similar in that they can score from anywhere on the court. In the late '60s, Maravich was lighting it up (this was pre-NBA) from all over, and the opponent put two guys on him, no matter where he was. As the half (or game, I can't remember) ended, he was at the half court line and nailed a hook shot at the buzzer.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                        Look in the dictionary under zoot. LOL.
                        LOL. He didn't even concede he was "okay". He wrote "may be." That dude's tough to convince. When the Utes come to the MC I hope Jimmer holds him accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          Ute fans downplaying Jimmer. Chad Ford telling them they are wrong.
                          This is dumb in my opinion. I lived through the golden age of Utah basketball listening to some BYU fans first saying that KVH/Miller/Doleac/Mottola/Jensen/Johnson/Jacobson/Bogut were not all that good and then in the off season saying how irreplaceable there were. I always thought it was small and I think that trying to run down Jimmer either as a college player or trying to run down his future is silly. We will know what kind of pro he is when he gets there.

Jimmer is a once in a generation type player (Ainge is the only point of comparison) and you guys should enjoy the hell out of him while you have him. His era almost certainly will represent the zenith of your program. Not suggesting at all that BYU drops off to mediocrity or anything, just that I think you are experiencing things as good as they get for a program like BYU. I hope that he gives you guys some memories in March like some of the ones Andre and the gang gave us. These things just happen so rarely for fans.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Nice piece. Watching him last night, especially the halftime 3, I thought of the Jimmer/Maravich comparision. They're different in many ways (including heart rate), but similar in that they can score from anywhere on the court. In the late '60s, Maravich was lighting it up (this was pre-NBA) from all over, and the opponent put two guys on him, no matter where he was. As the half (or game, I can't remember) ended, he was at the half court line and nailed a hook shot at the buzzer.
                            There are three players I wish I could see play in their prime

1. Wilt
                            2. Maravich
                            3. Oscar Robertson
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              This is dumb in my opinion. I lived through the golden age of Utah basketball listening to some BYU fans first saying that KVH/Miller/Doleac/Mottola/Jensen/Johnson/Jacobson/Bogut were not all that good and then in the off season saying how irreplaceable there were. I always thought it was small and I think that trying to run down Jimmer either as a college player or trying to run down his future is silly. We will know what kind of pro he is when he gets there.

Jimmer is a once in a generation type player (Ainge is the only point of comparison) and you guys should enjoy the hell out of him while you have him. His era almost certainly will represent the zenith of your program. Not suggesting at all that BYU drops off to mediocrity or anything, just that I think you are experiencing things as good as they get for a program like BYU. I hope that he gives you guys some memories in March like some of the ones Andre and the gang gave us. These things just happen so rarely for fans.
                              This post is not thread appropriate. Please remove and repost in the game thread. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                                This is dumb in my opinion. I lived through the golden age of Utah basketball listening to some BYU fans first saying that KVH/Miller/Doleac/Mottola/Jensen/Johnson/Jacobson/Bogut were not all that good
                                I dont recall this, but Im not denying it. This was pre-message board era, so many of these comments would have been made in person and, I guess, with a straight face.

Out of curiosity, were these claims made before or after those guys played their way to the NCAA title game?
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X