X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car history

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Legit upgrade from the 3 series.
    It’s a 4 banger so I waited until the 2.0 came out since I couldn’t stand not having some pickup when going from my 3 series. It’s very likely I bought the first 2.0 touring in Houston.

It doesn’t sound as good as a v6 but at plenty quick and fun to drive. Plus, as JL pointed out, perfect car for a middle aged Accountant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Any thoughts on how to best go about a transaction for a vehicle with a private seller out of state? (Digression: My car was recently totaled when I was hit by a lady who spun out next to me on the freeway on ramp. She lost control, over corrected, and came across three lanes, crashing into my driver side. Fortunately I was not injured. Of course, she carried the minimum coverage, so her policy was insufficient to cover the damage. My own insurance initially wanted to repair the car, but after the repair estimate eventually came out to over 21k, they deemed it a total loss.)

One of the things I loved about my car was the interior. It's a custom-order, two-tone charcoal/tan (more like an orangey cognac) is not very common in this car. In looking for a replacement car over the last week or so, i've found a couple cars with all the same features, minus the interior. The next closest one is ok, but is just too heavy on the tan (for example, the door panels, center console, and dash on my prior car are all charcoal--only the seat faces and the stitching are tan. In the newer models, the all those parts are tan, and it just makes the interior feel less, i dunno, classy. Again, I digress.

I found a car with all the features I want and the same interior in Southern California. It is owned by a private seller. I've communicated back and forth with him via text and he has answered my questions and provided pics as requested. If I were to fly down there to purchase the car, how would I go about finding a trustworthy mechanic to look the car over before I buy? Or is that a relic of a bygone era? While the care has low miles, it is old enough that it will be out of factory warranty. I've only purchased one car from a private seller since the day after I got back off my mission, and that was a minivan owned by a grandma which was clearly in great shape and had low, low miles. It had plenty of warranty at the time, so I didn't feel the need to have a mechanic look it over.

I presume pre-negotiating the price before I fly down would be ideal (I'd actually be ok paying asking price, but there is likely some wiggle room there based on NADA/KBB/Edmunds comps). So my next step would be to broach that. But once we've negotiated a price, is there a way to get a mechanic to go look at the car before I fly down there? Or do I fly down and take it somewhere to have it inspected?
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Any thoughts on how to best go about a transaction for a vehicle with a private seller out of state? (Digression: My car was recently totaled when I was hit by a lady who spun out next to me on the freeway on ramp. She lost control, over corrected, and came across three lanes, crashing into my driver side. Fortunately I was not injured. Of course, she carried the minimum coverage, so her policy was insufficient to cover the damage. My own insurance initially wanted to repair the car, but after the repair estimate eventually came out to over 21k, they deemed it a total loss.)

One of the things I loved about my car was the interior. It's a custom-order, two-tone charcoal/tan (more like an orangey cognac) is not very common in this car. In looking for a replacement car over the last week or so, i've found a couple cars with all the same features, minus the interior. The next closest one is ok, but is just too heavy on the tan (for example, the door panels, center console, and dash on my prior car are all charcoal--only the seat faces and the stitching are tan. In the newer models, the all those parts are tan, and it just makes the interior feel less, i dunno, classy. Again, I digress.

I found a car with all the features I want and the same interior in Southern California. It is owned by a private seller. I've communicated back and forth with him via text and he has answered my questions and provided pics as requested. If I were to fly down there to purchase the car, how would I go about finding a trustworthy mechanic to look the car over before I buy? Or is that a relic of a bygone era? While the care has low miles, it is old enough that it will be out of factory warranty. I've only purchased one car from a private seller since the day after I got back off my mission, and that was a minivan owned by a grandma which was clearly in great shape and had low, low miles. It had plenty of warranty at the time, so I didn't feel the need to have a mechanic look it over.

I presume pre-negotiating the price before I fly down would be ideal (I'd actually be ok paying asking price, but there is likely some wiggle room there based on NADA/KBB/Edmunds comps). So my next step would be to broach that. But once we've negotiated a price, is there a way to get a mechanic to go look at the car before I fly down there? Or do I fly down and take it somewhere to have it inspected?
        I just bought a (much cheaper) car for my son from a private seller. It was local, but likewise i wanted to have a private mechanic look at it. I used yelp to see the highest rated mechanic close to the seller, and gave them a call. I agreed with the seller to pay for the cost of inspection, if they would drop the car off. 2 hours and $175 later, I felt like I was getting a good deal and bought the car. The other thing I liked, this mechanic had some kind of HIPPA-like policy where he would only tell me what he found, thus i could use the info for negotiating.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          i will never buy a black car again. so much maintenance.
          The one positive, if this purchase works out, is that I'll be switching from a dark charcoal (essentially black) exterior to a metallic grey exterior. Huge upgrade as far as maintenance is concerned. Also, i would be upgrading from the 3.0 Supercharged V6 to the 5.0 Supercharged V8 (yay for fun, boo for gas mileage).
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            I just bought a (much cheaper) car for my son from a private seller. It was local, but likewise i wanted to have a private mechanic look at it. I used yelp to see the highest rated mechanic close to the seller, and gave them a call. I agreed with the seller to pay for the cost of inspection, if they would drop the car off. 2 hours and $175 later, I felt like I was getting a good deal and bought the car. The other thing I liked, this mechanic had some kind of HIPPA-like policy where he would only tell me what he found, thus i could use the info for negotiating.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Moliere coming here to brag about his new FWD Honda Accord 2.0(!) Touring is an incredible self-own.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                Moliere coming here to brag about his new FWD Honda Accord 2.0(!) Touring is an incredible self-own.
                I love my car. Got the windows tinted last week. It’s faster than a v6 Camry.

Just buy a new car, DH.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I'm pretty happy with my '17 Civic. 2 door, turbo. It would haul if I ever wanted it to, and I'm getting over 50 mpg on the freeway.

Comment

• Bo trying to one-up Molieddie.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Bo trying to one-up Molieddie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        I'm pretty happy with my '17 Civic. 2 door, turbo. It would haul if I ever wanted it to, and I'm getting over 50 mpg on the freeway.
                        Haul what? Like a rowboat? An aluminum skiff?
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Any thoughts on how to best go about a transaction for a vehicle with a private seller out of state? (Digression: My car was recently totaled when I was hit by a lady who spun out next to me on the freeway on ramp. She lost control, over corrected, and came across three lanes, crashing into my driver side. Fortunately I was not injured. Of course, she carried the minimum coverage, so her policy was insufficient to cover the damage. My own insurance initially wanted to repair the car, but after the repair estimate eventually came out to over 21k, they deemed it a total loss.)

i’ve done this with my last two cars. call around beforehand and spend $150 on a mechanic at a local dealership (bonus if you can find a dealership that sells the make of potential car). usually dealerships are smart and will help you negotiate. harder to convey a willingness to walk away, but i got a rental both times and continued negotiating (despite agreeing on a price before showing up). people are dumb and will give you more off if tou have cash and went to the expense of traveling.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

i’ve done this with my last two cars. call around beforehand and spend $150 on a mechanic at a local dealership (bonus if you can find a dealership that sells the make of potential car). usually dealerships are smart and will help you negotiate. harder to convey a willingness to walk away, but i got a rental both times and continued negotiating (despite agreeing on a price before showing up). people are dumb and will give you more off if tou have cash and went to the expense of traveling.
                            I just found a car with the same interior and same specs in Costa Mesa for about $3k less than what this private seller is listing in Pasadena. There is definitely some room to negotiate, and that just gave me some sweet leverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Just buy a new car, DH.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

People are dumb and will give you more off if you have cash and went to the expense of traveling.
                                As a recent seller (of a motorcycle), I figure if the guy came two hours in his truck to "possibly" buy from me, he's not going home empty because I wouldn't come down another couple of hundred bucks. If someone flew in I'm definitely not going to be talked down more.

But after watching a bunch of episodes of Wheeler Dealers, I may try negotiating like Mike Brewer the next time I'm buying a used vehicle. He names a lower price, explains why, then holds out his hand to try to get the seller to shake on it in agreement. Of course they only show actual purchases, not any where he failed to get a car and had to look for another one.

Comment

Working...
                                X