Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Shave?

FOR YOUR FACE ONLY, PERVS

Ox's thread got me wondering about what everyone's preferred shaving habits are. I grow a pretty mean neckbeard, but traditional disposable razors destroy skin. Those multi-blade contraptions (the Gillette Mach series) combined with the atomic goop gel are an unholy mixture, and the rare occasions where my middle tier Braun electric razor works are always followed by nasty razor burn. This is all without mention of the absurd cost of replacement blades for both disposable razors and electric razors.

A friend recently got me in to traditional wet shaving with a double edged safety razor, and it is glorious. He recommended a good starter kit for me, which includes a Merkur safety razor, a boar brush, and sandalwood shaving cream.

After washing my face 2-3 times with water as hot as I can stand, I shave with the grain 2-3 times. Perfect shave, no irritation, and you don't smell like Chernobyl when it's done. Plus, it's pretty BA to shave the same way Don Draper does.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1308593534&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31kN4gGSscL.@@AMEPARAM@@31kN4gGSscL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Shaving-10098-Professional-Bristle/dp/B002V40IS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308593517&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Omega Shaving Brush # 10098 Professional Boar Bristle: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21RBLqz3xfL.@@AMEPARAM@@21RBLqz3xfL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Street-Sandalwood-Shaving-Cream/dp/B0007MW2ZW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1308593566&sr=1-4"]Amazon.com: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WUaTlmjHL.@@AMEPARAM@@51WUaTlmjHL[/ame]
    Last edited by old_gregg; 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

No shaving cream at all? How often do you change the blade?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Gillette Venus with soap and water in the shower.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Something tells me Babs is going to be very disappointed with the direction this thread takes. Just a guess.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

All non-electrics I have ever tried bother my skin. I use a top of the line Braun and really like it a lot.

Comment

The orange and blue Gillette that requires batteries. Turbo something or other. For shaving cream I use whatever Sam's Club sells in a three pack. Works well and no razor burn.

For my nostrils I use this little gadget that goes right up into my nose and removes the unsightly nose hair. It cleans up quite well, too. You can just run it under the faucet.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              No shaving cream at all? How often do you change the blade?
              depends on shave frequency. i probably shave once every 1.5 days and change it every month. replacement blades are less than $.50 apiece.

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Something tells me Babs is going to be very disappointed with the direction this thread takes. Just a guess.
              edited accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                The orange and blue Gillette that requires batteries. Turbo something or other. For shaving cream I use whatever Sam's Club sells in a three pack. Works well and no razor burn.

For my nostrils I use this little gadget that goes right up into my nose and removes the unsightly nose hair. It cleans up quite well, too. You can just run it under the faucet.
                Oooh. That one sounds fun!
                What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I would probably be more likely to shave with a straight razor if I could find a handcrafted shaving stand to neatly hold all my stuff.

Also, there is a lot of good info on numerous CUFfers' shaving habits here.
                  Last edited by Donuthole; 06-20-2011, 11:22 AM.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    I would probably be more likely to shave with a straight razor if I could find a handcrafted shaving stand to neatly hold all my stuff.

Also, there is a lot of good info on numerous CUFfers' shaving habits here.
                    tim's thread can suck it!

Comment

[YOUTUBE]ixM10qw_wTQ[/YOUTUBE]
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I've shaved twice this year.

Once with a Gillette Mach 3. I even upshaved to make my top lip baby's butt smooth so my wife wouldn't complain of friction burns.

Once in Costa Rica. I went to a peluquería and told the guy that I wanted my face "tan lisa como el dorso del lóbulo de mi oreja." He used a (disposable) straight razor and some weak shaving cream. I had a million cuts and razor burn from hell when he was done. I waited two days and then touched it up with a Bic disposable in Miami. My Mrs. approved.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I shave in the shower with whatever mach the gillette is at right now. Just regular soap, no mirror. Can't remember the last time I had a cut, but on occasion I will miss a patch under my chin (always the same one too). During the school year I only shave twice a week and during the summer, it's once a week at most.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                            tim's thread can suck it!
                            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              [YOUTUBE]ixM10qw_wTQ[/YOUTUBE]
                              that guy got about the worst shave I've ever seen. He shaved and still had a 5:00 shadow! Don't do what he does.

If you're shaving with a blade, you should always try and shave after you shower, before you dry your face.
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                              X