No announcement yet.

FBI Arrests Assistant Coaches at Arizona, Auburn, OK State and USC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bama fired a basketball administrator today.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
      Bama fired a basketball administrator today.
      Turns out Kobie Baker's last job before Alabama was with the NCAA as an Assistant Director of Enforcement for Basketball Development.

Comment

the University of Oregon's name has been mentioned. So we're getting closer.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...l_assista.html
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Call me crazy but I'm having a tough time working up much moral outrage over this.

Let's see -- a few hard working assistant coaches make a little cash and some of the best basketball players in the country get paid by shoe companies a few years early. The horror! Throw everybody in jail!

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Call me crazy but I'm having a tough time working up much moral outrage over this.

Let's see -- a few hard working assistant coaches make a little cash and some of the best basketball players in the country get paid by shoe companies a few years early. The horror! Throw everybody in jail!
            You don't have a problem with schools paying 18 year old kids $100k to come to play for them?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              You don't have a problem with schools paying 18 year old kids $100k to come to play for them?
              Schools should be able to pay kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                To generate millions? Seems like a good investment by the schools to me.

It's a dumb system the way the NCAA exploits the top men's basketball and football players. They should all be payed.

This is kind of a victimless crime except for the schools who played by the rules being at a disadvantage.

Comment

To generate millions? Seems like a good investment by the schools to me.

It's a dumb system the way the NCAA exploits the top men's basketball and football players. They should all be payed.

This is kind of a victimless crime except for the schools who played by the rules being at a disadvantage.
                  I guess if your baseline position is that players should be paid, you wouldn't be outraged when they get paid.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is kind of what I was getting at with my earlier post. These payment schemes are certainly NCAA violations. But are they (or should they be) against the law?

One potential issue is the tax reporting. How many of the recipient players/families/coaches included the payments as taxable income?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm not quite on board with you, but I am a little surprised that the FBI is allocating resources for this type of investigation. I could be way off base, but what I've read makes me question whether this should be a crime. An NCAA violation? Sure. But no one should be incarcerated over this.

Edit: Just saw P-lad's post. Sorry for the hack.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Schools should be able to pay kids

No, kids should be able to skip college and get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          No, kids should be able to skip college and get paid.
                          Why not both?

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Why not both?

I personally don't think that colleges should be in the buisness of paying for athletic talent; but I have no moral qualms with doing so, more pragmatic ones.

But I definitely think there should not be an age limit to enter the NBA/NFL/professional women's volleyball league.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                              I personally don't think that colleges should be in the buisness of paying for athletic talent; but I have no moral qualms with doing so, more pragmatic ones.

But I definitely think there should not be an age limit to enter the NBA/NFL/professional women's volleyball league.
                              It depends on if you seek egalitarian solutions or elitist. Do we want the same small group of colleges to distance themselves more, or do we want a broader scope of competition.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

The case against Chuck Person is a good example. He needed money and got hooked up with a "financial planner (i.e. fraudster)" that paid him to connect him with a player. Person then tells the player that this is the guy that you need to take care of your money and the kid says "I trust you 100%." Person then lies to the kid's mother that this guy is a guy that managed his and Charles Barkley's money when he was in the NBA. Person does not inquire as to whether the adviser has qualifications, abilities or can deliver any of the promised benefits ( he has been involved in schemes defrauding people for years, and he is an FBI informant).

That is the fraudulent element. If it were just NCAA stuff no biggie. These coaches are alleged to have used their positions to manipulate players and families to take actions with only their own bottom lines at heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X