Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Ghost
    I swam in a 1-mile open water event at Foster Lake in Oregon last Saturday (results). The water temperature was 67 degrees at the shore (but our boat gauge was reading 66 near the swim route). No Category II swimwear (wet suits) was allowed; it was a brisk swim in just the jammers.

I was seeded 61st, but finished 41st overall... passing 20 persons (my heat consisted of 12 swimmers that started 1:20 behind the highest seeded wave of swimmers). But still, I swam it in 25:47 (1:28/100yd pace), which was disappointing as I was shooting to swim it under 23:20... or a 1:20/100yd pace. The event was held mid-day and, as a result, the lake boat traffic churned up quite a bit of chop. It was brutal at times. I don't think anyone really swam as fast as they would have liked.

Good luck with your swim... post your results!

cheers.
    I will. It is the first leg of a triathon, so I will try not to use it all up on the swim.

Comment

Swam a 21:54 for a 1500 m swim to start the June lake triathlon. Not too bad for only getting in the water about 7-10 times this year. The rest of the race was very hard, but I only finished a few minutes slower than last year, so not too bad.

Comment

saw this training tool: http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/el...swimsense.html
        it is like a garmin for swimming.

Comment

I am sure this is a really dumb question, but I feel capable of asking it. Is becoming a better swimmer more than just practice?

The last month when we have been home I have been trying to swim 6-8 laps a day, I am not seeing any progress and am at the point of being ready to quit. When I run or bike I notice nice gains and feel more comfortable with each run/ride, with swimming I always feel like I am just thrashing in the water.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I am sure this is a really dumb question, but I feel capable of asking it. Is becoming a better swimmer more than just practice?
            Yes, it is all about technique. You need some instruction on technique if you really want to become a good swimmer. You will figure some of it out by just getting out there and trashing, as you say, but is all about the efficiency in your effort.

When I work on my stroke I will count the number of strokes it is taking for me to do a lap. The fewer the better. Next time count how many you are taking and then watch someone that looks like they know what they are doing and count how many you do. They are probably doing around a 1/3 less.

Comment

So I swam yesterday for the first time in my life. I'm using the verb "swam" to indicate me trying to swim continuously for distance as I've spent a lot of time in a pool but have never really just swam to swim. It started out rough, which I guess I expected, and got a little bit better. I think I ended up doing 800m total but took some long breaks inbetween each 50m (15 sec to 1 minute breaks).

All I have to say is Holy Crap swimming is different than anything else I've done for endurance. I was freaked out the first couple laps because I'm so used to breathing naturally. It was tough to hold my breath, exhale under water then take a quick breath. There were times when I almost panicked, but I told myself to slow down my strokes, glide more and not to worry about speed/cadence at this time. By the end of the swim I had a decent rhythm with my stroke/breathing but I was so gassed it was tough to keep it up.

I think I'm going to try and swim at least twice a week and hopefully I'll be at hte point I can do 500m continuously, which is what I need for the tri later next month.

I can't tell you how intimidating it is to have a strong swimmer in the lane next to you, but at least I didn't totally suck for my first time.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I think I'm going to try and swim at least twice a week and hopefully I'll be at hte point I can do 500m continuously, which is what I need for the tri later next month.
                Big breakthrough tonight. On my 5th time ever swimming I completed 1/2 mile with no stops and it was all freestyle. I'd done 500m previously but I took an extended break after 300m and also spent about 1/3 of it side stroking or back stroking. Anyway, tonight's goal was 500m with no stopping and I accomplished that but felt good enough to go another 300m. So in total I did 800m all freestyle with no stops all in 22 minutes. That's not a time to be proud of, but it's something I can now work on.

Thanks to those that gave tips, especially ERcougar and PDiddy. I used pretty much all of it and ultimatley I think the key was getting into a good rhythm and also repetition. Previously I found myself thinking so much about my stroke and breathing and form that I just fell apart. Tonight it clicked in a good way.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Big breakthrough tonight. On my 5th time ever swimming I completed 1/2 mile with no stops and it was all freestyle. I'd done 500m previously but I took an extended break after 300m and also spent about 1/3 of it side stroking or back stroking. Anyway, tonight's goal was 500m with no stopping and I accomplished that but felt good enough to go another 300m. So in total I did 800m all freestyle with no stops all in 22 minutes. That's not a time to be proud of, but it's something I can now work on.

Thanks to those that gave tips, especially ERcougar and PDiddy. I used pretty much all of it and ultimatley I think the key was getting into a good rhythm and also repetition. Previously I found myself thinking so much about my stroke and breathing and form that I just fell apart. Tonight it clicked in a good way.
                  Shit, man, those times are phenomenal with my physique. Congrats! That's a good start. However, give yourself two days to recuperate or your rotator cuffs will start to hurt.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I suck at swimming. I've never been a swimmer but wanted to work that into the workout and it's going nowhere. I keep expecting it to click better, but it hasn't and it seems to get progressively worse with each lap as I try to integrate the many suggestions from this thread and elsewhere. The first lap goes well but then it's downhill after making my flailing turn -- that does, however, give me hope that an open water swim would prove successful with the absence of the 180.
                    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                      I suck at swimming. I've never been a swimmer but wanted to work that into the workout and it's going nowhere. I keep expecting it to click better, but it hasn't and it seems to get progressively worse with each lap as I try to integrate the many suggestions from this thread and elsewhere. The first lap goes well but then it's downhill after making my flailing turn -- that does, however, give me hope that an open water swim would prove successful with the absence of the 180.
                      Just a non-swimmer thinking out loud, but if the swimmer's turn is giving you a hard time, why not just swim to the wall and push off the other way?
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                        I suck at it as well, but I can now do 900m without stopping, which for me is an accomplishment. First advice is to not try and do a complex turn. Right now I just touch the wall, pop my head out of the water, take one breath while turning and then push off for the next lap. Keep it simple and don't worry about turning because, like you said, you don't really turn on a wall in an open water swim.

My biggest issue was just the rhythm of breathing, stroking and gliding. Right now I stroke with both arms and take a breath while doing that. Then I glide a bit (1-2 seconds) and then repeat. It keeps my heart rate down to not be constantly stroking and enables me to take a decent breath.

At some point I plan on going to a trainer to get faster, but for now I'm happy just being able to swim for 25 minutes non stop.

Comment

I always keep my jammers, goggles and towel in my gym bag but our new gym is always crowded when I am there. I hate sharing lanes. I'd like to get back into swimming though.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I always keep my jammers, goggles and towel in my gym bag but our new gym is always crowded when I am there. I hate sharing lanes. I'd like to get back into swimming though.
                            Sounds like an excuse, get your ass in the pool.
                            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              Sounds like an excuse, get your ass in the pool.
                              My ass has been lifting for 90 minutes and then on the stair machine for 30.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                My ass has been lifting for 90 minutes and then on the stair machine for 30.
                                I wish I had 2 hours/day to work out.
                                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                                X