No announcement yet.

The building a new home thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy shit, many of you have a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      There has been some great advice here so I am only going to add one thing. Don't forget the invisible stuff. The engineering if you will. When we built our home, our upgrades were much more weighted towards insulation, 2x6 vs. 2x4 construction, efficient HVAC system, the foundation, etc. Only then did we do things like hardwood floors, etc.
      Amen. The 2x6 vs 2x4 thing seems so trivial, but in a place like Utah with extreme high and low temps, 2x6 with proper insulation makes a HUGE difference. Also, it is so much quieter.

Comment

Quick bump.

So we've got a house plan and builder, financing and lot (being surveyed and recorded as we speak).

This thread was pretty useful to us. Basically, we're going with a sweet kitchen and great room, large amount of storage in 3 car garage, with radiant heating throughout the house.

Any further ideas before our plans are final?
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

I love the idea of the radiant heat. I would like to see a floor plan of the home. I still have the prints from a few of my favorite homes that we built and I peruse them. Sometimes to remininsce of the good ol' days of working with Surfah and others to dream of what I would like to build someday for my wife (if I am ever fortunate to do so). Thanks for sharing your experience.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Are you going radiant heating for the driveway? I don't know where you live so it may be a non issue. I wish we had it at our pad.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Are you going radiant heating for the driveway? I don't know where you live so it may be a non issue. I wish we had it at our pad.
              New Mexico. Probably not enough snow to justify the expense.
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                New Mexico. Probably not enough snow to justify the expense.
                Agreed. Just a thought. Depending on how things go this winter, I am considering ripping out the driveway and having it installed here. It is costly, though, so then again I might just invest in that cool blue snow shovel I saw at costco this weekend. $20.

Also, did you go with central vac? We have it and while I like it overall, there are issues. It isn't a perfect solution, then again nothing is, I suppose.

Have fun with the new house. Sounds exciting.

sigpic

Comment

Also, did you go with central vac? We have it and while I like it overall, there are issues. It isn't a perfect solution, then again nothing is, I suppose.

No central vac. My wife wasn't interested and I don't care either way.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Agreed. Just a thought. Depending on how things go this winter, I am considering ripping out the driveway and having it installed here. It is costly, though, so then again I might just invest in that cool blue snow shovel I saw at costco this weekend. $20.

I saw the same cool blue (clear polycarbonate plastic) shovel and tried to convince Gidget we needed it.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      I saw the same cool blue (clear polycarbonate plastic) shovel and tried to convince Gidget we needed it.
                      That is the one! Even the handle was rad.

It will be mine. In fact, I'm going today to buy it. Nothing like buying something that will immediately be put away and not used for awhile.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                        Quick bump.

So we've got a house plan and builder, financing and lot (being surveyed and recorded as we speak).

This thread was pretty useful to us. Basically, we're going with a sweet kitchen and great room, large amount of storage in 3 car garage, with radiant heating throughout the house.

Any further ideas before our plans are final?
                        I'm telling you master bath urinal.

Other than that good luck with building. Due to some family issues I think ldc and I will probably be moving from our current house in the next 6 months or so, ldc really wanted to build but I don't think it will work in our current situation. I think we will just look for a home to buy. I am excited to hear updates of your progress.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Nothing like buying something that will immediately be put away and not used for awhile.
                          We hope.
                          Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            I'm telling you master bath urinal.

Other than that good luck with building. Due to some family issues I think ldc and I will probably be moving from our current house in the next 6 months or so, ldc really wanted to build but I don't think it will work in our current situation. I think we will just look for a home to buy. I am excited to hear updates of your progress.
                            You never posted a pic, I'm curious how it is situated with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                              You never posted a pic, I'm curious how it is situated with everything else.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Where do you buy your urinal cakes?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X