No announcement yet.

Strava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty fascinating article. Especially for you Californians.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/who-i...strava-legend/
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

I didn't realize LA was so serious about cycling, but, yes, that was quite the interesting piece.
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

I just got notified that I lost my KOM slot for a half-mile segment on a ride from last September.

First, I was shocked that I had a KOM position for anything. Second, I was shocked that it had stood for several months. Third, at #8 on the KOM ranking, I see a kid from my ward who races competitively - I know he's a lot faster than I am.

In retrospect, if I was going to have a KOM, this makes sense - very short, very flat. It is on a somewhat busy street, though, so that kind of surprises me - there are 183 users ranked on the segment. I'm still wondering if there was some glitch in the program that put me on top.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          I just got notified that I lost my KOM slot for a half-mile segment on a ride from last September.

First, I was shocked that I had a KOM position for anything. Second, I was shocked that it had stood for several months. Third, at #8 on the KOM ranking, I see a kid from my ward who races competitively - I know he's a lot faster than I am.

In retrospect, if I was going to have a KOM, this makes sense - very short, very flat. It is on a somewhat busy street, though, so that kind of surprises me - there are 183 users ranked on the segment. I'm still wondering if there was some glitch in the program that put me on top.
          You left your GPS on while you put the bike in your car and drove home?

Comment

Finally got around to reading this article. A very good read.

Strava is huge in Southern California. At least the places that I've ridden. There are several climbs that I've done around Ventura and especially around San Diego where I've put in a decent effort on a climb only to find myself ranked something like 13,000th overall.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Finally got around to reading this article. A very good read.

Strava is huge in Southern California. At least the places that I've ridden. There are several climbs that I've done around Ventura and especially around San Diego where I've put in a decent effort on a climb only to find myself ranked something like 13,000th overall.
              I used to get depressed seeing how far down the list I ranked on the various segments. I derived some comfort by going Premium so that I was able to see how I compared within my age group, but even that showed me to be mediocre. Now, I simply compare my time with my previous efforts, and remind myself that Strava participants are hardly a cross-section of the general populace.

Comment

Last night on our group ride the first 1/3 of the ride was dedicated to taking back a KOM from an out-of-towner on a climb. During our rides we will be rolling along and someone will yell segment and off we go. There are probably about five segments I would call high profile segments that riders are aware who currently sits at the top and how fast. The wind will blow about 95% of the time out of the south here, when a north wind happens guys are out attacking southbound segments because of the north wind. We found out one guy got a KOM by drafting behind a truck, his reputation now is similar to a golfer that would kick his ball out of a hazard. Like PAC, I've started comparing my efforts to others in my age group because I kept falling farther and farther down the list. On the plus side I just tell new riders to get on Strava and look at the routes the locals do, they know the best and least crowded roads. I enjoy looking at what others have done and where they ride but if you're not careful it can feel like you're in a race every ride.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  You left your GPS on while you put the bike in your car and drove home?
                  Just looked back at the full ride that day. You are exactly right.

Now I'm really impressed with the guy who took the KOM. Also, I'm surprised that's the only segment that got me KOM.
                  Last edited by Pelado; 05-04-2016, 03:10 PM.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Just looked back at the full ride that day. You are exactly right.

Now I'm really impressed with the guy who took the KOM. Also, I'm surprised that's the only segment that got me KOM.
                    I guessed it because the only KOM I've ever recorded in my life was when I did the same thing. You can edit the segment and crop off the back of the ride so that nobody accuses you of being a KOM poser. My glorious KOM lasted a whopping 2 hours until a buddy pointed out that I was doing 40 mph uphill.

Comment

I guessed it because the only KOM I've ever recorded in my life was when I did the same thing. You can edit the segment and crop off the back of the ride so that nobody accuses you of being a KOM poser. My glorious KOM lasted a whopping 2 hours until a buddy pointed out that I was doing 40 mph uphill.
                      Strava also provides for a protest from third parties if a KOM is obviously phony, and after a review they may bounce the poser. Occasionally, I'll see segments where riders maintained speeds of >45 mph over a long stretch, but I didn't have the energy to file a protest.

Comment

Thanks. I just cropped that ride as well as one other that I found with a similar issue. I feel clean again.
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

This is a satisfying update.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/gaim...s-strava-koms/
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

That was a good read. I was intrigued by his assertion that Horner was doing things that weren't exactly "upright." Did I miss Horner cheating? What was he talking about?
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              That was a good read. I was intrigued by his assertion that Horner was doing things that weren't exactly "upright." Did I miss Horner cheating? What was he talking about?
                              To answer my own question:

https://kennettron.wordpress.com/201...orners-return/
                              https://www.outsideonline.com/191919...ssport-problem

I had forgotten about Horner's miraculous (ahem) vuelta victory at the age of 41. Sigh.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Gaimon seems like a good guy, I like that he is out getting these KOM's.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                I started reading Tyler Hamilton's book last week and it's fascinating to see what they did. I wonder how long until SKY gets taken down.

Comment

Working...
                                X