Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
    The easy answer is I buy a bigger hard drive. I have over 3 terabytes of photos at this point.
    Pretty soon you're gonna have a Roymoores worth of photos.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Pretty soon you're gonna have a Roymoores worth of photos.
      Great. I can't unread that.

Comment

Great. I can't unread that.
        My wife said we should get a kids-level camera for them to make pictures and videos with for Christmas. I'd love to know your recommendation. Maybe Nikon 3000-level?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

My wife said we should get a kids-level camera for them to make pictures and videos with for Christmas. I'd love to know your recommendation. Maybe Nikon 3000-level?
          DSLR? Point-and-shoot? Budget?

Comment

DSLR? Point-and-shoot? Budget?
            DSLR, under $1000.

Comment

DSLR, under $1000.
              Probably just look for a good package at Costco, etc. Stick with whatever brand you use so you can exchange lenses. I know Canon has regular package deal with printers, flashes, or other accessories that are usually very price competitive. I assume Nikon does the same. We have bought around the $500 kit for 3 our kids as they turned 16. It stuck with the last one as a hobby, and even making some money doing senior pictures (she borrows my lenses).

The D3400 Triple Lens Parent's kit looks like a nice package. A 35mm 1.8 would be a nice lens to have once they move beyond the basics. The telephoto is useful, but the image quality of the basic telephotos are usually suspect.

Every single entry level DSLR that Nikon or Canon makes are fantastic cameras when it comes to basic landscape photography or non-moving subjects. The technology has simply evolved to the point where reviewers are having to make much ado about nothing to differentiate them.

The next step up (D5600) is the sweet spot for me if you expect your kid to continue as a hobby. You get a tilt touch screen, better auto-focusing options, and more frames per second. It's a more versatile body. Can shoot sports or wildlife more readily and the tilt screen is great for video, or getting the "above the crowd" shot. I wish I had one (The Canon 7D mkII doesn't have the tilt or touch screen).

Comment

DSLR, under $1000.
                I shoot with a Cannon EOS 6D. I bought it used about four years ago for $750.00. That is a great price, but I picked it up from a disillusioned former photography student who came to the realization that a diploma in Photography wasn't what they were looking for.
                Last edited by tooblue; 11-17-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                  I shoot with a Cannon EOS 6D. I bought it used about four years ago for $750.00. That is a great price, but I picked it up from a disillusioned former photography student who came to the realization that a diploma in Photography wasn't what they were looking for.
                  Did that include the 24-105? If so, that's a fantastic deal.

Wuap owns and shoots Nikon already, so he probably would want to stay in the family--I think he also has DX lenses, so going to a full frame camera is probably not the best option. Used is always an interesting option, while good glass holds value well, bodies don't at all. I could point at numerous used Canon sites (I follow Canon gear pretty closely), but I don't follow Nikon at all. Two years ago, for my youngest daughter, I was able to pick up a new T5i, 18-55, 70-300, and a PRO-100 printer for around $500. I kept the printer, but people do try to sell them. It's a fairly common package so there are a ton of the printers for sale on ebay/craigslist.

I shoot the 7DII for it's speed and focusing capability (it really is a sports and wildlife body), if I shot a lot more portrait and landscape, I would move to full frame. If I could afford the 5D IV + lenses, I would be there now.

Comment

Did that include the 24-105? If so, that's a fantastic deal.

Wuap owns and shoots Nikon already, so he probably would want to stay in the family--I think he also has DX lenses, so going to a full frame camera is probably not the best option. Used is always an interesting option, while good glass holds value well, bodies don't at all. I could point at numerous used Canon sites (I follow Canon gear pretty closely), but I don't follow Nikon at all. Two years ago, for my youngest daughter, I was able to pick up a new T5i, 18-55, 70-300, and a PRO-100 printer for around $500. I kept the printer, but people do try to sell them. It's a fairly common package so there are a ton of the printers for sale on ebay/craigslist.

I shoot the 7DII for it's speed and focusing capability (it really is a sports and wildlife body), if I shot a lot more portrait and landscape, I would move to full frame. If I could afford the 5D IV + lenses, I would be there now.
                    Yes, it included the 24-105. I felt like I was taking advantage of the student and tried to pay more, but they just wanted to recoup whatever they could as fast as they could. It was barely used. Where I teach I have access to any Cannon I want. I have shot with the 7D and didn't like it, especially the auto zoom—it just wasn't responsive like I was used to. All the 5D's are in high demand. We have a couple of massive lenses. Maybe I'll post some shots of my son playing football from years ago taken with the big telephoto lens you commonly see on football sidelines—if I can find them.
                    Last edited by tooblue; 11-17-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I have shot with the 7D and didn't like it, especially the auto zoom—it just wasn't responsive like I was used to.
                      What's the auto zoom? The 7D mark II has the focusing system of the original 1DX, it's very responsive and precise even in low light.

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                      We have a couple of massive lenses. Maybe I'll post some shots of my son playing football from years ago taken with the big telephoto lens you commonly see on football sidelines—if I can find them.
                      The Canon big glass is out of reach for me unfortunately, I would love to have one of the 400mm options and the 600mm mark II. Some day.

Comment

What's the auto zoom? The 7D mark II has the focusing system of the original 1DX, it's very responsive and precise even in low light.

The Canon big glass is out of reach for me unfortunately, I would love to have one of the 400mm options and the 600mm mark II. Some day.
                        I just struggled with the 7D. Great game shot. I'm looking for my shots right now, but before I post anything understand at the time all I had was a rebel to attach the big glass to. The lens needed it's own post to rest it on ... wait for it, think my search just found them ...
                        Last edited by tooblue; 11-17-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I just struggled with the 7D.
                          The original 7D and the 7D mark II are completely different animals. The 7D II with the 70-200 2.8 USM mark II with both the 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters is arguably the most versatile sports and large wildlife combination you can get for less than $5K.

Comment

• I don't think I've shared many sport/activity shots:

Comment

• These are from 2014. My son was in grade 10. Age wise, if we lived in the states, he would've been in grade 9. I processed them too quickly with a little too much sharpening, but here they are:

Last edited by tooblue; 11-17-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• the Papermakers? Terrible mascot.

Comment

Working...
                                X