Songwriters don't have to be good musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Guess who has two thumbs and just received the "Award of Merit" for Children's songs in this year's Church Music Submission competition?
    congrats!!

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Guess who has two thumbs and just received the "Award of Merit" for Children's songs in this year's Church Music Submission competition?
      That's awesome. What does it mean tho.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Shockingly, I was not actually among those honored with the Award of Merit. Here are the winners, according to the email I received:

CHILDREN’S SONGS

Award of Merit

One Bright Star
        Tom Edward Clark, Kaysville, UT

Read the Book of Mormon and Pray
        Teresa Barlow, Kaysville, UT

The Shepherd and the Lamb
        Sally DeFord, Colorado Springs, CO
        Toni Marie Thomas, Poway, CO

Special Recognition

The Armor of God
        Jennette Jay Booth, Taylorsville, UT
        Rebekah Anne Pitts, Taylorsville, UT

Book of Mormon Prophets
        Jenny W. Francis, Alberta, Canada

Choosing
        Penelope Moody Allen, Centerville, UT
        Michael Moody, Bountiful, UT

Come unto Me
        Rachel Mohlman, Kennewick, WA
        Anna Marie Molgard, Colbert, WA

I’ll Try My Best
        Andrew Moore, Gloucester, United Kingdom

What Would Jesus Do?
        Wayne Burton, Alberta, Canada
        Heather Burton*

When I Come to Him
        Matthew Joseph Neeley, La Verne, CA
        As for what that means, here's the language from the LDS Music Submission Guidelines website:

Awards of Distinction ($200), Awards of Merit ($100), and special recognitions may be given in each category. A grand prize ($300) may also be awarded. Award money for a single submission will be divided equally among collaborators (if applicable).

Submitters who are granted awards in turn grant the Church a nonexclusive, perpetual license for unlimited use. Submitters always retain the copyright for their work.

Awarded submissions may be used on the Church music website, in Church magazines, or for other purposes. Submissions are subject to editorial changes.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Cool beans, Pelado!

Comment

After reading your thread, you inspired me to take a stab at writing a Primary song. $200 sounds like a good deal.

I'm not completely finished with it yet, but the theme and title is "Don't tell the Bishop Everything." The chorus is... "Jesus already knows, what no one needs to know, so don't tell the Bishop everything."

Like I said... it's a work in progress.
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 08-02-2018, 02:38 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                After reading your thread, you inspired me to take a stab at writing a Primary song. $200 sounds like a good deal.

I'm not completely finished with it yet, but the theme and title is "Don't tell the Bishop Everything." The chorus is... "Jesus already knows, what no one needs to know, so don't tell the Bishop everything."

Comment

Believe me, there are some things the bishop doesn't want to know.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Believe me, there are some things the bishop doesn't want to know.
                    Am I supposed to confess sins committed in a different dimension?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Whoever said clack can't be legit haha funny is an idiot.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Am I supposed to confess sins committed in a different dimension?
                        I just assume that I've done all my confessing in another dimension, and I should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          I just assume that I've done all my confessing in another dimension, and I should be good to go.
                          Sounds like the makings of another Primary song:

Repent, repent...in an alternate dimension.
                          Sins you commit here you don't have to mention...
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Sounds like the makings of another Primary song:

Repent, repent...in an alternate dimension.
                            Sins you commit here you don't have to mention...
                            Maybe you could have one of those references with the hymn the way they do it in the hymnal (Clack 6:23).

Comment

Working...
                            X