No announcement yet.

Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes, the details in the court filing are really bad. If true, I hope she gets paid a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
      In these cases, courts have used creative means to extend the statutes of limitations. A fair and reasonable interpretation would not consider the cases to remain alive, but "bad facts make bad law."
      She was older than 20 when the alleged events happened. Imagine trying to defend something that happened 34 years ago.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Yikes, the details in the court filing are really bad. If true, I hope she gets paid a lot of money.

link?

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          link?
          https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...DS-Church.html

I only skimmed it this morning on my way to work.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Great post, Eddie. Thank you.

BTW, my wife is taking a religion class at BYU on the Restoration. Instructor is Anthony Sweat. He does a fantastic job - I am very impressed how thorough he is regarding multiple accounts of the first vision, seer stones, polygamy, etc. Recently they had an apostle from the RLDS church come and speak to the class. In the follow up to that lecture, they discussed the fake JSIII blessing document that Mark Hoffman created. She and I were discussing that and had the following convo:

Me: "Did you know that some people lost faith over those fake documents?"
            Her: "Why?"
            Me: "They thought a prophet of god should not have been duped."
            Her: "Really? They think he is a mindreader?"
            Me: "Something like that I guess. Some of these same folks are upset that the Bishop guy was called to be the MTC leader, given that callings are supposed to be guided by inspiration."
            Her: "Wow. What about this guy's agency? Do they think he was predestined to do those things?"

I just shrugged my shoulders and left it at that.

"that the Bishop guy was allowed to remain MTC leader"
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              "that the Bishop guy was allowed to remain MTC leader"
              Why do bad things happen to good people.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Abused woman officially files suit against the LDS church.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/04/...ter-president/

Her name is McKenna Denson.
                That's a really sad document to read. He confessed everything to Elder Wells, and still got called to be MTC President. "Joseph, old boy, could you run the MTC for us?"

Also, it's Cali, Colombia, not Columbia.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

That's a really sad document to read. He confessed everything to Elder Wells, and still got called to be MTC President. "Joseph, old boy, could you run the MTC for us?"

There are many things the Church did wrong in this saga, but I don't know if this is one of them. He was very vague about what he confessed to Wells. And I'm guessing he was vague with Wells. He has a pattern of half truths and half confessions.

Comment

Yep. My issue isn’t that I think he was predestined to commit sexual assault. It’s that he had done it before or had confessed to church leaders about serious sexual issues and they still put him into a calling that required daily interaction with vulnerable young adults.

Even f he hadn’t previously confessed before the calling, I still think church leaders should have some inkling through the spirit of discernment that he shouldn’t have been called to that calling. Notice I’m not saying hutch leaders should be fortune tellers or see the future, but should have some indication of past sins or issues.

Comment

Even f he hadn’t previously confessed before the calling, I still think church leaders should have some inkling through the spirit of discernment that he shouldn’t have been called to that calling. Notice I’m not saying hutch leaders should be fortune tellers or see the future, but should have some indication of past sins or issues.

Seriously? I thought you called yourself a Mormon Deist.
                      Last edited by jay santos; 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Why do bad things happen to good people.
                        Deontological libertarian theodicy?

Or pantheism?

Or "The history of modern epistemology from Descartes, Hume, and Kant, to Popper and Lorenz, has--it seems to me--made clear that the fact of any reality at all independent of our consciousness can be accepted only as an act of trust."
                        Hans Kung, Eternal Life. ​Doubleday: New York, 1984. (page 227).

Comment

Yep. My issue isn’t that I think he was predestined to commit sexual assault. It’s that he had done it before or had confessed to church leaders about serious sexual issues and they still put him into a calling that required daily interaction with vulnerable young adults.

Sent from my iPhone using a setting I can't figure out how to turn off
                          Let's suppose for the sake of argument that we stipulate that prophets, seers, and revelators indeed have this special superpower as part of their everyday abilities. Do you also expect that this power would be used perfectly? I.e., nothing ever slips by - everything is properly detected? Do you think it is possible that someone may have had bad feelings about it, but brushed them aside? Would God ever allow them to make a mistake?
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Deontological libertarian theodicy?

Or pantheism?

Or "The history of modern epistemology from Descartes, Hume, and Kant, to Popper and Lorenz, has--it seems to me--made clear that the fact of any reality at all independent of our consciousness can be accepted only as an act of trust."
                            Hans Kung, Eternal Life. ​Doubleday: New York, 1984. (page 227).
                            Can't we just have, like, a normal conversation?
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Let's suppose for the sake of argument that we stipulate that prophets, seers, and revelators indeed have this special superpower as part of their everyday abilities. Do you also expect that this power would be used perfectly? I.e., nothing ever slips by - everything is properly detected? Do you think it is possible that someone may have had bad feelings about it, but brushed them aside? Would God ever allow them to make a mistake?
                              How about we impose this standard: if anyone has ever used a position of authority to prey on vulnerable individuals they should be given no positions of authority ever again. That doesn't include any mystical powers at all, just common sense.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

This is especially odd coming from Moliere, who has described himself as a Mormon deist. All of the sudden he wants God to micro-manage every calling?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X