No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Norris vs. Communism. Fascinating HBO doc about the black market in VCRs and dubbed american videos in Romania during the 80's and how influential it was. Recommended.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Santa Clarita Diet is pretty awesome. Love Timothy Olyphant as a pot-smoking Californian.

Comment

• Last Man Standing with Tim Allen.

Yeah - it's a network TV show, but somehow I missed it.

I did just start watching on Netflicks, and it is hilarious. I love that so many of the jokes connect back to his prior stuff. Everything from Home Improvement guest appearances, to Buzz Lightyear, to a comment about never getting him into a Santa suit.

Funny show.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
          Neal Brennan 3 Mics

Really good. Brennan was a writer on the Chappele Show and is now doing standup. He had three microphone stands. The first was for one-liners, the second for a regular standup routine, and the third was for more serious/emotional talk. He rotates through the mics a few times. The one-liners were funny. The standup was pretty good, but not great. But it is when he is on the third mic that things get really interesting. He talks about battling depression and his bad relationship with his father and things like that. Pretty interesting stuff. I recommend it. There is lots of profanity and sex talk though.
          I watched this and I agree. Good stuff. I do wish he would stop nose-laughing into the mic though. Small gripe.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Santa Clarita Diet is pretty awesome. Love Timothy Olyphant as a pot-smoking Californian.
            Thanks for the recommendation. Started watching it, and it's hilarious.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Force Majeure - The action of this film happens in the first ten minutes, when a sudden avalanche approaches a family of four sitting on a restaurant patio looking out over a ski resort's stunning scenery of the French Alps. In that "fight or flight" moment when the very basic instincts embedded in our brain spring to life, the mother huddles with her children under a table whereas the father flees leaving his family behind. He returns after the danger has passed to see if everyone is alright. After I watched the scene, I was like "WTF?!" and hit the rewind button to make sure what I thought had happened actually happened. The rest of the movie explores the tension that that one scene creates in the small family, specifically between the husband and wife.

Although the movie is imperfect, I thought the questions it raised were fascinating. It made me recollect back to similar situations that I have faced where instinct took over instantaneously as a reaction to immediate threats.

It Follows - Creepy AF. Well done.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Samurai Gourmet: What a enjoyable nostalgic little show.

Based out of Japan and only in English subtitles. It is a story of a newly retired humble man lost and not knowing what to do now that he has retired. Each episode (12 in total) is fun filled 22 minutes of pure tranquil. Each episode has an encounter where the inner-side wishes to express himself but the ever humble man cannot. So an imaginary Samurai enters the story.

I found myself truly enjoying this show and the main character. His facial expressions and narrative is great TV. What is also enjoyable was the learning aspect of the foods they eat and how they cook. It was like a mix of a cooking show and a slight comedy. Another learning aspect is the culture of Japan.

I highly recommend this. It will put you in a nostalgic place..

Oh, and I could not help but imagine this was PAC and his lovely wife who are the two main characters in this show. With PAC of course being the lead role..

Trailer:
                https://youtu.be/r8lvlgu8Qa4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by dabrockster; 03-30-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Binged Thirteen Reasons Why on Netflix over the weekend. Based on a YA novel about a teen girl who commits suicide. The premise is that she recorded thirteen tapes before she killed herself about thirteen events that led her to do it. Each episode is a different tape.

I'm a bit of a sucker for these kinds of teenage angst movies/TV shows, but this one is particularly well done in my opinion. Pretty great acting from the two leads (the kid who plays Jack's son in Lost and a girl from Australia that I've never heard of before). It gets a bit too much "after-school special" in the last couple of episodes, but overall I would highly recommend it if you are into that kind of stuff. It is kind of depressing though and a bit disturbing at times. Not a happy ending (as you might gather).

Comment

• I enjoyed the book 2-3 summers ago, planning to watch.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• God bless you Justin Timberlake. As usual, JT is awesome. Justin Timberlake + the Tennessee Kids is great.
                      http://www.avclub.com/review/justin-...g-sense-244289

I will not ruin the surprise of the awesome 90s new jack swing cover from the middle of the concert.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• I'm loving Five Came Back, a three-part series about five famous movie directors (Capra, Ford, Huston, Stevens, Wyler) who voluntarily interrupted their accomplished careers to make films in support of the U.S. war effort. Five living directors (Coppola, del Toro, Greengrass, Kasdan, Spielberg) provide lots of interesting commentary between film clips and interview footage of the original five.

I've always been fascinated by Leni Riefenstahl and how her work (esp. Triumph of the Will) advanced the Nazi cause. One of the American directors, Capra I think, said when he saw her movie his initial reaction was incredible sadness and he thought, "They're going to win", because what she portrayed was so overwhelming (a few impressive clips are included here). But that eventually led Capra and the others to counteract Nazi propaganda very effectively.

Movies, filmmaking and WWII; a great combination for my entertainment needs.

Comment

• Just finished Iron Fist. Definitely weaker than Luke Cage, but also pretty good, and definitely not the dumpster fire the critics have accused it of being. It's got some good kitschy kung fu throwback moments-- one episode is even directed by the RZA (!)
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• We've been watching "13 Reasons Why." I cannot recommend it yet. It has been painfully slow. With one reveal every hour-long episode. We are going to finish it. We're already 11 episodes in (there are 13). But my hopes are not high. If a big reveal/twist comes at the end I could end up liking it. But not yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
                              We've been watching "13 Reasons Why." I cannot recommend it yet. It has been painfully slow. With one reveal every hour-long episode. We are going to finish it. We're already 11 episodes in (there are 13). But my hopes are not high. If a big reveal/twist comes at the end I could end up liking it. But not yet.
                              The twist: she dies.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                The twist: she dies.
                                Fuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X