Lone Peak Hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Peak Hike

Any of you people hike Lone Peak leaving from Draper before? Some of the trail guides make it sound more difficult than I expected. Any thoughts on the climb?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Any of you people hike Lone Peak leaving from Draper before? Some of the trail guides make it sound more difficult than I expected. Any thoughts on the climb?
    I've done it 5 or 6 times, but not within the last 10 years. I've known people to do it in one day, but they were kind of crazy. Its a good overnight trip. The first section, if you take the Jacob's Ladder route, is basically straight up via switch backs. That part sucks. But then you hit the meadows and its really nice. Bring a filter.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I've done it 5 or 6 times, but not within the last 10 years. I've known people to do it in one day, but they were kind of crazy. Its a good overnight trip. The first section, if you take the Jacob's Ladder route, is basically straight up via switch backs. That part sucks. But then you hit the meadows and its really nice. Bring a filter.
      I was planning Jacobs ladder and planning one day. You dont think the one day plan is good?
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I was planning Jacobs ladder and planning one day. You dont think the one day plan is good?
        Just make sure you're in better physical condition than falafel was 10+ years ago and you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

You might be in really good shape, but I think that would be a very difficult hike for anyone besides Piney's wife and daughters. I know I couldn't do it in one day.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You might be in really good shape, but I think that would be a very difficult hike for anyone besides Piney's wife and daughters. I know I couldn't do it in one day.
            Bro, he hiked Kilimanjaro last year. He'll fly up that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Bro, he hiked Kilimanjaro last year. He'll fly up that thing.
              I just remember all the complaining he did about the hike along the California coast a few years ago.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I just remember all the complaining he did about the hike along the California coast a few years ago.
                Kili was a few years back and I was in great shape then. Not as good when I did the Lost Coast and, tbh, full pack in beach sand or natural beach rip rap for 30+ miles (including taking a header of a wet and moss covered boulder) sort of kicked my butt. We did Salkhantay Pass inPeru last year at 15.5k elevation. I will be in ok to decent shapoe by next summer and will not be carrying a full pack so I think I will plan on a single day for Lone Peak.

Thanks for all the input. It amazes me how I grew up along the Wasatch front but never managed to climb any of those mountains until I was in my 50s. Wasted opportunities.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Kili was a few years back and I was in great shape then. Not as good when I did the Lost Coast and, tbh, full pack in beach sand or natural beach rip rap for 30+ miles (including taking a header of a wet and moss covered boulder) sort of kicked my butt. We did Salkhantay Pass inPeru last year at 15.5k elevation. I will be in ok to decent shapoe by next summer and will not be carrying a full pack so I think I will plan on a single day for Lone Peak.

Thanks for all the input. It amazes me how I grew up along the Wasatch front but never managed to climb any of those mountains until I was in my 50s. Wasted opportunities.
                  Have fun, I'm sure you can do it (based on BG's recommendation).

Just don't try and slide down the snow pack below the face. My sister's friend did that and he lost a finger and had to be helicoptered down the mountain.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Have fun, I'm sure you can do it (based on BG's recommendation).

Just don't try and slide down the snow pack below the face. My sister's friend did that and he lost a finger and had to be helicoptered down the mountain.
                    Yeah, about that. I'm going to have to go ahead and retract my confidence in creekster on this one. After all, that coastal hike is pancake flat and at sea level. Sorry creekster.

Comment

One day is doable. But if you try and don’t summit for some reason, there is still a huge payoff just to sit in the cirque at the base of the cliffs and take in the scenery. So much granite, it feels almost like Yosemite.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        Yeah, about that. I'm going to have to go ahead and retract my confidence in creekster on this one. After all, that coastal hike is pancake flat and at sea level. Sorry creekster.
                        Dont be sorry. I dont deserve the confidence!
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                          One day is doable. But if you try and don’t summit for some reason, there is still a huge payoff just to sit in the cirque at the base of the cliffs and take in the scenery. So much granite, it feels almost like Yosemite.
                          Excellent. DEfinitely going to give it a go.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Did you ever make it over to my neck of the woods and climb Williamson?

Comment

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/u...s-ladder-trail

reading the comments on this link, basically says you are going to die.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X