The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bestellen View Post
    I generally do the first four hours straight on the smoker to get a better smoke ring.
    Pics or it didn't happen, bestellen!
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I'm cooking for forty people tomorrow, and I'm committed to following the Lebowski method 100% for the first time. I'm tired of getting inconsistent results.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• In the last month or so I've cooked for 40 plus people three times. I did briskets and chicken thighs. The chicken thighs I use DDD's method. Always turns out great. I think I've zeroed in on a really simple and tasty brisket. I get the prime briskets from Costco, I slather in a very thin layer of Better than Beef Bouillon and then put the rub on top of that. Lately because of time I've used Black Ops instead of just making my own. I smoke until 190 and then pull off and put in a deep roasting pan and cover. Put that in the oven at 170 for about 4 hours or so. About an hour before I want to eat, I pour about a cup of warm water on the brisket and recover and put back in the oven. After removing the brisket front the pan, I pour all the juice into one of those fat separating gizmos. I slice the brisket and then paint each slice with the separated juices. It has turned out great every time.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
          one of those fat separating gizmos.
          ???

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            ???

image.jpg

OK, more likely something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip.../dp/B0002YTGIQ

Comment

• Yes, that. I love that little kitchen tool.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                [ATTACH]7962[/ATTACH]

OK, more likely something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip.../dp/B0002YTGIQ
                Originally posted by CJF View Post
                Yes, that. I love that little kitchen tool.
                Thank you. Just ordered it.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                  Yes, that. I love that little kitchen tool.
                  I do, too. I pour the drippings from my pork shoulders into the separator and use that as my finishing sauce. Similar to what you're doing here. It works great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I'm cooking for forty people tomorrow, and I'm committed to following the Lebowski method 100% for the first time. I'm tired of getting inconsistent results.
                    You might look for a recipe book I've heard of:

τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Went well. Great smoke ring and flavor. Burnt ends were fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        Went well. Great smoke ring and flavor. Burnt ends were fantastic.
                        How does the Dude's methodology differ from what you've done in the past?

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          How does the Dude's methodology differ from what you've done in the past?

I usually leavet it on the smoke for longer before wrapping. I was convinced wrapping at 4-5 hours would leave it with no bark. I was wrong (even though it took a leap of faith when I wrapped and the bark was not very dark). Adding broth during the wrap. Again, I was convinced this was going to dilute the smoky flavor, and again I was wrong.

Comment

• JL,

Do you leave the brisket covered or uncovered on the counter as you are letting it rest for 30-60 minutes?

Interested...

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              JL,

Do you leave the brisket covered or uncovered on the counter as you are letting it rest for 30-60 minutes?

Interested...
                              Before slicing? Either way. Uncovered will cool a little faster.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                JL,

Interested...
                                I'm not JL, but I've always thought one of the purposes of resting was for the meat to reabsorb some of the juices, so I keep it wrapped. Maybe I'm wrong. At this point it doesn't matter, because I'm burned out and renting my trailer to a caterer for the summer. I'm sick of cooking.
                                sigpic
                                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X