'Slavery wasn't that bad'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    No, never. Racism here isn't for Mrazzes who watch Fox News. This is old-fashioned hate without any attempt to rationalize or justify it.

No one would ever argue that slavery wasn't bad. They would argue that it ending was. That's the kind of racism I've seen in my life, and it's disgusting.
    gottcha
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I believe this belongs in one of FMCoug's Utah threads.
      Except that I'm not in Utah.

So actually, that probably is a good addition to fmcoug's thread.

Further text exchange with ultrasound tech (from your neck of the woods...):
      Me: 'oh yeah! I keep forgetting you're a southern racist. Sorry for the slavery thing. You probably didn't catch the problem with the story.'
      Her: 'Ha. I guess I was thinking of that movie The Help. Great book too. It took place after slavery but...'
      Me: 'and you were thinking how you hate black people?'
      Her: 'well we can certainly argue about that another time .'

??? What is there to argue about???

I'm really confused at this point. I thought it was pretty obvious that I was teasing her about a totally inappropriate response. But I'm not sure she gets it. And leaning back on my southern prejudice, I would think that if any southerner would get it, she would. I'm starting to wonder if plenty of y'all think like this, but are at least smart enough to know not to actually say it.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

Me: 'oh yeah! I keep forgetting you're a southern racist. Sorry for the slavery thing. You probably didn't catch the problem with the story.'
        Her: 'Ha. I guess I was thinking of that movie The Help. Great book too. It took place after slavery but...'

I'm really confused at this point. I thought it was pretty obvious that I was teasing her about a totally inappropriate response. But I'm not sure she gets it. And leaning back on my southern prejudice, I would think that if any southerner would get it, she would. I'm starting to wonder if plenty of y'all think like this, but are at least smart enough to know not to actually say it.
        John 8:1-8
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

John 8:1-8
          Why do you teach in parables?
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I think the medium is your problem. You can't read tone in a text.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I've seen far more repugnant racism in the West than anywhere I've ever lived. Unacknowledged racism....."I'm not racist, but..."

Racism mixed with more than a little xenophobia
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Why do you teach in parables?
                Why do you fall so easily to stereotypes about my home? It's really easy to sit far away in the West and snipe at situations and history that you've never had to face, to deal with, or to understand from an immersion perspective.

marsupial could weigh in now that she's lived in the South for years. What do you say about the South, sup? Is it more racist than other places, or just more open and honest about it?

Comment

Are you staying at the Clown Motel?

Comment

No, never. Racism here isn't for Mrazzes who watch Fox News. This is old-fashioned hate without any attempt to rationalize or justify it.

No one would ever argue that slavery wasn't bad. They would argue that it ending was. That's the kind of racism I've seen in my life, and it's disgusting.
                    Funny it was just the opposite in Alabama when I lived there. I rarely saw outright racism, although I did from time to time. However, plenty of people wanted to make their forbears not quite so bad and tried to sugarcoat the slavery experience, as not "so bad".

I had a long argument with a woman who taught scores of balck children in her career and taught them well without a hint of racism and with genuine love between them tell me that slaves had it better. She was not trying to say that the horrors of Jim Crow were worse, but that it was not too awful at all. She concluded I was a Yankee.

I am sure there is a grain of truth to this line of thinking that slavery was not so bad, in a bushel full of denial.

Comment

So emancipation was worse than slavery therefore slavery wasn't as bad as emancipation?

Why was emancipation necessary? Because of slavery. Slavery NECESSITATED emancipation.

The condition of emancipated peoples were in many ways worse than what they were during slavery. However, that doesn't mean slavery wasn't so bad. The conditions in which emancipated slaves suffered were created by and a direct result of slavery.

I was required to take a diversity course while at the U. I decided to take a course that was offered through the honors program. I wish I could remember the name of the professor. He was fantastic. A good portion of the course did treat the subject of the poor conditions and challenges faced by emancipated slaves. Many of them did, indeed, live in worse circumstances than they did during slavery. (Many others did not.) However, that is no reason to claim that slavery was not so bad. That is idiotic as we all well know.

Comment

Why do you fall so easily to stereotypes about my home? It's really easy to sit far away in the West and snipe at situations and history that you've never had to face, to deal with, or to understand from an immersion perspective.

marsupial could weigh in now that she's lived in the South for years. What do you say about the South, sup? Is it more racist than other places, or just more open and honest about it?
                        http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=13
                        Last edited by ERCougar; 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM.
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Are you staying at the Clown Motel?
                          Ha...nope. Sure sign I'll have hit bottom at that point.
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Is it more racist than other places, or just more open and honest about it?
                            Seriously? Its more open and honest? Hard to believe you said this.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              Seriously? Its more open and honest? Hard to believe you said this.
                              It's a euphemism for more brazen and less inhibited.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                It's a euphemism for more brazen and less inhibited.
                                a.k.a "drunker"
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X