Women's Volleyball 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    Tristyn Moser and Sydnie Martindale are the backup liberos and they both play on the back row. Moser played almost in every game on the back row. There were some games where she was pulled though. Olmstead has a relatively quick trigger with Moser. She will replace her with Stetler sometimes (Stetler played a lot in the back row last year too). That's what happened on Saturday, but then Stetler also replaced Haddock at opposite. So Stetler ended up playing all the rotations.
    I suppose you know this, but does the men's team play a 6-2? I ask that because our passing seems suspect.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      I suppose you know this, but does the men's team play a 6-2? I ask that because our passing seems suspect.
      No they don't.

Comment

No they don't.
        They seem to have trouble passing. Did we pick up enough talent to surpass Ohio State this year, or do you believe Ohio State is still the program to beat?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

They seem to have trouble passing. Did we pick up enough talent to surpass Ohio State this year, or do you believe Ohio State is still the program to beat?
          I don't know. I think BYU lost more important players than the other the top programs last year. It will be interesting to see if BYU drops off a little bit. Ohio State lost people, but they still have their top pin hitter (who's a great server). I don't think Long Beach St lost that much and UCLA had a bad year last year (mostly because of injuries rather than lack of talent) and I would expect them to recover this year. Not sure about what Hawaii lost.

BYU lost Patch, Dobber, Langlois, and Grosch. So a great OH and arguably best server Langlois, and both of your opposites that played last year, and one MB (this should be fine).
          Last edited by pelagius; 12-04-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I don't know. I think BYU lost more important players than the other the top programs last year. It will be interesting to see if BYU drops off a little bit. Ohio State lost people, but they still have their top pin hitter (who's a great server). I don't think Long Beach St lost that much and UCLA had a bad year last year (mostly because of injuries rather than lack of talent) and I would expect them to recover this year. Not sure about what Hawaii lost.

BYU lost Patch, Dobber, Langlois, and Grosch. So a great OH and arguably best server Langlois, and both of your opposites that played last year, and one MB (this should be fine).
            That's a lot for BYU to replace. BYU adds 6 freshman from all across the globe. It will be a test of Coach Olmstead's abilities.

I am trying to find out what Kentucky's strengths are to see how good a chance the women have to defeat the Wildcats. Coach seems to be a good fit for this program.

Comment

I am trying to find out what Kentucky's strengths are to see how good a chance the women have to defeat the Wildcats. Coach seems to be a good fit for this program.
              Their season looks a lot like ours, quite frankly. Only common opponent is Utah, who UK beat in five sets.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Their season looks a lot like ours, quite frankly. Only common opponent is Utah, who UK beat in five sets.
                Nebraska and Colorado are also in our region. Isn't Nebraska a former national champion?

I notice Utah qualified for the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2008. When was the last time BYU failed to make the Sweet Sixteen, 2011 or 2010?

BYU is a volleyball school!
                Last edited by Topper; 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

That's a lot for BYU to replace. BYU adds 6 freshman from all across the globe. It will be a test of Coach Olmstead's abilities.

Here do some scouting:

[YOUTUBE]Xbgnhwvo_B0[/YOUTUBE]

My quick take based on watching a few minutes. They are big and athletic. They like to run slide step attacks; one of their MB does it really well. I think BYU can get them out of system just like they did Oregon.

Comment

Here do some scouting:

[YOUTUBE]Xbgnhwvo_B0[/YOUTUBE]

My quick take based on watching a few minutes. They are big and athletic. They like to run slide step attacks; one of their MB does it really well. I think BYU can get them out of system just like they did Oregon.
                    I think you nailed it. Kaz Brown (MB) is fierce. But they definitely telegraph where the ball is going. When they got outside, Edmond doesn't hit a real heavy ball if the block is up, but if she's alone, she can put it down at the 3m line.

Their libero is a freshman and won DPOY for SEC, I think, which surprises me. She didn't have the best game against WKU. UK's setter is pretty good, but is not a great athlete. If we can pressure their backrow with good serving, and keep them out of system, I think we have a shot. If their setter gets good passes, then it's going to be tough. Miller and the OPP will be the x factors. I don't think UK is going to let Perry beat them.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      lol. Stop googling volleyball schemes so you can look informed. You’re not fooling anyone.
                      But would you guys agree with the following? Setters have the task for orchestrating the offense of the team. They aim for second touch and their main responsibility is to place the ball in the air where the attackers can place the ball into the opponents' court for a point. They have to be able to operate with the hitters, manage the tempo of their side of the court and choose the right attackers to set. Setters need to have swift and skillful appraisal and tactical accuracy, and must be quick at moving around the court.
                      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                        But would you guys agree with the following? Setters have the task for orchestrating the offense of the team. They aim for second touch and their main responsibility is to place the ball in the air where the attackers can place the ball into the opponents' court for a point. They have to be able to operate with the hitters, manage the tempo of their side of the court and choose the right attackers to set. Setters need to have swift and skillful appraisal and tactical accuracy, and must be quick at moving around the court.
                        lol
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I pref3r a 5-1 but I also build my teams out of middle with a hitting Opp. I think of OH as a player to keep balls in play on offense and to pass. I’m impressed by Heather because she has two partial middles, no Opp, and is still winning like crazy. She really loves her DS and Liberos. I don’t like a 6-2 because setter inconsistency often prevents the middles from clicking. I think it forces you to hit from the pins too much. I also really like running the D more often and the DS sub for Opp makes me uncomfortable. 3 rotations with a strong D ball is much better than only 2.

All of that said, give me a high line shot on a naked 2 any day. Sand is my jam.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                            I pref3r a 5-1 but I also build my teams out of middle with a hitting Opp. I think of OH as a player to keep balls in play on offense and to pass. I’m impressed by Heather because she has two partial middles, no Opp, and is still winning like crazy. She really loves her DS and Liberos. I don’t like a 6-2 because setter inconsistency often prevents the middles from clicking. I think it forces you to hit from the pins too much. I also really like running the D more often and the DS sub for Opp makes me uncomfortable. 3 rotations with a strong D ball is much better than only 2.

All of that said, give me a high line shot on a naked 2 any day. Sand is my jam.
                            Who plays the Opp for BYU?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Who plays the Opp for BYU?
                              The non-setter twin, Hamson’s Little sister and Chad Lewis’s daughter are the primary choices. Recently one of our outsides has played it too. Opposite hits on the right side of the net and blocks the other team’s outside hitters. They play opposite of the setter so they are always in the front row when the setter is in the back and vice versa. Famous BYU Oppies are Ozzie, Joe Hillman, Scott Bunker (after Mac came back) and Ben Patch. Best Opp are left-handed players who block really well. Usually they don’t need to play much ground defense in the Men’s game.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                                The non-setter twin, Hamson’s Little sister and Chad Lewis’s daughter are the primary choices. Recently one of our outsides has played it too. Opposite hits on the right side of the net and blocks the other team’s outside hitters. They play opposite of the setter so they are always in the front row when the setter is in the back and vice versa. Famous BYU Oppies are Ozzie, Joe Hillman, Scott Bunker (after Mac came back) and Ben Patch. Best Opp are left-handed players who block really well. Usually they don’t need to play much ground defense in the Men’s game.
                                How good is Hamson's little sister?

Comment

Working...
                                X