Lance Armstrong is a dope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I will bow my head and sheepishly admit that I listen to Lance almost everyday on his podcast. He is hardly penitent. He remains a jerk. He disparages the UCI and WADA and others, although usually only by indirect means. But he knows the sport and is pretty entertaining. He also has Hincapie on the show (and sometimes Bruyneel) and Hincapie is the guy we all wish lance would be. Quietly self-effacing, smart, strategic thinker, not brash, etc. I think the Freakonomics appearance was Lance trying to rebuild his image. The one thing I will give him is that he admits his sins and doesn't try to hide them. But I really don't think he feels the least bit of remorse.
    Any chance he staged the "F YOU!" chants and buying the whole restaurant's tab to buy some sympathy? If he was outside of the restaurant, who is to say he actually called the restaurant? Maybe he just called a friend and pretended to give out his CC #.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Any chance he staged the "F YOU!" chants and buying the whole restaurant's tab to buy some sympathy? If he was outside of the restaurant, who is to say he actually called the restaurant? Maybe he just called a friend and pretended to give out his CC #.
      Honestly that wouldnt surprise me at all.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I will bow my head and sheepishly admit that I listen to Lance almost everyday on his podcast. He is hardly penitent. He remains a jerk. He disparages the UCI and WADA and others, although usually only by indirect means. But he knows the sport and is pretty entertaining. He also has Hincapie on the show (and sometimes Bruyneel) and Hincapie is the guy we all wish lance would be. Quietly self-effacing, smart, strategic thinker, not brash, etc. I think the Freakonomics appearance was Lance trying to rebuild his image. The one thing I will give him is that he admits his sins and doesn't try to hide them. But I really don't think he feels the least bit of remorse.
        I follow Armstrong on Strava and he's a jerk but he's a jerk who loves to ride his bike. When he's in Austin he runs or road bikes most every day and while he's in Aspen he mountain bikes. I remember Armstrong once saying something like he wasn't ever going to be this 40lb overweight washed up cyclist like Lemond was, one thing I guess he didn't lie about.

Comment

• Lance Armstrong is a dope

Brodeal they all dope....never doubt that Lance Pharmstrong, Alberto Contadoper,........ So you follow cycling because??? Or you just looking for a response from people. I never really understand why people are so cynical about a sport and continue to follow it......closely Maybe from a distance waiting on the wings until you beleive its better, but you follow it.

Comment

• Hey K-rone, how's the weather down in Panama?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
              Hey K-rone, how's the weather down in Panama?
              Gotta be warm in that rack of servers!
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Gotta be warm in that rack of servers!
                But the scenery!

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  I follow Armstrong on Strava and he's a jerk but he's a jerk who loves to ride his bike. When he's in Austin he runs or road bikes most every day and while he's in Aspen he mountain bikes. I remember Armstrong once saying something like he wasn't ever going to be this 40lb overweight washed up cyclist like Lemond was, one thing I guess he didn't lie about.
                  He is an intense competitor, with good insights on cycling and racing. This isn't a recommendation on his entire character, but I find him more complex than "doper" or "duper". I loved watching his reign. I resent that he got too cocky and was taken down but I find the new iteration interesting.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    Hey K-rone, how's the weather down in Panama?
                    Thought he was in the UP?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Thought he was in the UP?
                      That's next weekend, but hoping for a detailed report!

Comment

• Anyone else watch the Lance doc on ESPN?

I didn't get into cycling until after Lance fully retired, so I wasn't aware of everything that went on other than a previous shorter documentary I watched on Netflix. But man, that is a crazy story and he was an evil and bad person. Like really bad. It's funny now how honest he is about it all, yet there doesn't seem to be a lot of remorse. Maybe it's just that he doesn't show remorse or maybe he is a total psychopath but it was interesting to hear him tell the story and to see everyone else tell their side. He's lucky he made some good investments (Uber) or he'd be bankrupt by now.

I think my favorite part was when he was takling to the football team at Rice (his son plays on the team) and he mentions his sons jerseys number and totally gets the number wrong. That was pretty funny they left that in there. It is unfortunate everyone doped during that time. He probably still wins a number of TdFs if everyone is on a level playing field doping wise but we'll never know.

Makes me wonder how clean the sport is now. I'm sure it's better but it seems the athletes continue to dance around the edge of the gray area.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Anyone else watch the Lance doc on ESPN?

I didn't get into cycling until after Lance fully retired, so I wasn't aware of everything that went on other than a previous shorter documentary I watched on Netflix. But man, that is a crazy story and he was an evil and bad person. Like really bad. It's funny now how honest he is about it all, yet there doesn't seem to be a lot of remorse. Maybe it's just that he doesn't show remorse or maybe he is a total psychopath but it was interesting to hear him tell the story and to see everyone else tell their side. He's lucky he made some good investments (Uber) or he'd be bankrupt by now.

I think my favorite part was when he was takling to the football team at Rice (his son plays on the team) and he mentions his sons jerseys number and totally gets the number wrong. That was pretty funny they left that in there. It is unfortunate everyone doped during that time. He probably still wins a number of TdFs if everyone is on a level playing field doping wise but we'll never know.

Makes me wonder how clean the sport is now. I'm sure it's better but it seems the athletes continue to dance around the edge of the gray area.
                          He is a psychopath like you mentioned. And I think they are all still doping.

Comment

• Armstrong's "The Move" podcast is actually pretty interesting. This month they are reviewing key stages from the tours that LA won. It has been interesting to listen to the riders themselves deconstruct the stages. The current episode recounts the 2003 tour focusing on the stage into Gap where Beloki fell, ending his career, forcing LA to go cross-country through a cut cornfield. They had Beloki on as a guest. His thoughts about that stage, and about whether Froome can return this year, were interesting. Watch it on youtube to see the video footage of the old stages.

I think he is a sociopath, btw, not a psychopath.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• i miss tripledad.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Armstrong's "The Move" podcast is actually pretty interesting. This month they are reviewing key stages from the tours that LA won. It has been interesting to listen to the riders themselves deconstruct the stages. The current episode recounts the 2003 tour focusing on the stage into Gap where Beloki fell, ending his career, forcing LA to go cross-country through a cut cornfield. They had Beloki on as a guest. His thoughts about that stage, and about whether Froome can return this year, were interesting. Watch it on youtube to see the video footage of the old stages.

I think he is a sociopath, btw, not a psychopath.
                                Agreed on both accounts

I've been listening to it but it's not as interesting without the footage although I do remember some of the stuff pretty vividly from replays I've seen before. The Move podcast really is top notch. I even bought a t-shirt from their website...
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X