No announcement yet.

What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in Primary last year as the kids were learning this relatively new song. Yeah - I can see some being less than fans at the parental role verses. But over the course of 3 weeks I was in there that they were learning this song, I'd tear up every time they sang the first verse and chorus. Every. Time.

The Family is of God

1. Our Father has a family. It’s me!
    It’s you, all others too: we are His children.
    He sent each one of us to earth, through birth,
    To live and learn here in fam’lies.

[Chorus]

God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be—
    This is how He shares His love, for the fam’ly is of God.

2. A father’s place is to preside, provide,
    To love and teach the gospel to his children.
    A father leads in fam’ly prayer to share
    Their love for Father in Heaven.

[Chorus]

3. A mother’s purpose is to care, prepare,
    To nurture and to strengthen all her children.
    She teaches children to obey, to pray,
    To love and serve in the fam’ly.

[Chorus]

4. I’ll love and serve my family and be
    A good example to each fam’ly member.
    And when I am a mom or dad, so glad,
    I’ll help my fam’ly remember:

[Chorus]

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Not a fan. I think it leads to too much over-singing.
      That's just a natural result of my soul singing.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Bro Hymn - because friends
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I was in Primary last year as the kids were learning this relatively new song. Yeah - I can see some being less than fans at the parental role verses. But over the course of 3 weeks I was in there that they were learning this song, I'd tear up every time they sang the first verse and chorus. Every. Time.

The Family is of God

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

That song is horrible. That one definitely shouldn't be in the children's songbook.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
            My expectation is that any hymns that require a licensing agreement will be out. How Great Thou Art & Because I Have Been Given Much are two that will be axed, although they should be kept. They will be replaced by member-generated hymns for which the Church will be granted a "nonexclusive, perpetual license for unlimited use."

After being hacked up in the 1985 hymnal, "Up Awake Ye Defenders of Zion" will be eliminated altogether.
            This whole project will be worth it if we can get rid of "Because I Have Been Given Much". I am in many ways not a traditional believer, but I have never received as negative reaction from a comment as I did when, during my last Sacrament Meeting talk, I expressed my disdain for that song. I have not been asked to speak since.

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

The Family is of God

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

Every year the Primary Program includes one song not in the Primary Songbook. The year that this one was included (2014), I taught them the first and last verses and omitted the middle ones. I am not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              This whole project will be worth it if we can get rid of "Because I Have Been Given Much". I am in many ways not a traditional believer, but I have never received as negative reaction from a comment as I did when, during my last Sacrament Meeting talk, I expressed my disdain for that song. I have not been asked to speak since.
              Dude what is wrong with you?
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Well, we don't want to open that can of worms, but as far as BIHBGM, I have a dislike for most "Unison" songs. I like to sing the harmony! And I am not good enough to make up my own!

I didn't really remember why I ripped on it, so I just went at looked at my talk (October 2015 FTR), and much of the talk was about music, and relating it to life and the gospel. As an aside, I also talked about the recording of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" and Al Kooper's Hammond Organ part on it. So at one point, I said that I generally found unison songs uninteresting, specifying BIHBGM, and talked about how the same was true at church. I like it when people are not all singing the same part.

So the reaction I got was maybe 25% "Cool story about "Like a Rolling Stone" and 75% "How could you not like 'Because I Have Been Given Much?????'" Two and a half years later, I haven't been asked to speak again.

OK, there may be some other reasons for that.

Comment

Well, we don't want to open that can of worms, but as far as BIHBGM, I have a dislike for most "Unison" songs. I like to sing the harmony! And I am not good enough to make up my own!

I didn't really remember why I ripped on it, so I just went at looked at my talk (October 2015 FTR), and much of the talk was about music, and relating it to life and the gospel. As an aside, I also talked about the recording of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" and Al Kooper's Hammond Organ part on it. So at one point, I said that I generally found unison songs uninteresting, specifying BIHBGM, and talked about how the same was true at church. I like it when people are not all singing the same part.

So the reaction I got was maybe 25% "Cool story about "Like a Rolling Stone" and 75% "How could you not like 'Because I Have Been Given Much?????'" Two and a half years later, I haven't been asked to speak again.

OK, there may be some other reasons for that.
                  Wouldn't read much into that. I haven't been asked to give a SM talk for several years. I am, unfortunately, scheduled for one this Sunday. The assigned topic is "Christ-like service." Not sure yet how I'm going to sneak Dylan into that.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Wouldn't read much into that. I haven't been asked to give a SM talk for several years. I am, unfortunately, scheduled for one this Sunday. The assigned topic is "Christ-like service." Not sure yet how I'm going to sneak Dylan into that.
                    The Al Kooper story is one of my favorites. It would be perfect! I've heard/read it a few places. Basic story is:
                    • Al wants to play on the album, so he gets there early and starts playing guitar
                    • Mike Bloomfield shows up with his guitar, plays a bit, and Al realizes he is no match for this guy
                    • He goes into the control room and sulks for a while
                    • He notices a Hammond organ that no one is playing, so he goes over and starts playing on it, just improvising a part, even though he doesn't even know how to turn it on
                    • The producer tells him to stop, but Dylan basically says "No, I like the organ, turn it up"
                    • The organ part becomes one of the iconic parts of one of the greatest songs ever

Moral of the story: What makes a difference isn't necessarily doing what we originally thought would be best, but often is looking for opportunities and needs as they present themselves to us. Something like that.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...today-20150616
                    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-d...rolling-stone/

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                      Bro Hymn - because friends
                      The Jason Thirsk tribute version.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Not a fan. I think it leads to too much over-singing.
                        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Yep. I don’t like it for that and other reasons. I hope it gets the ax.

Anyone know where Copelius is? I haven’t seen him chime in on this. I hope he’s writing the next great song of the restoration.
                        It's a beautiful hymn both musically and lyrically, don't let other people ruin it for you. Stop listening to people sing and start reading the words and listening to the tune. Also, you need a little southern gospel in your soul. jmo

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Right? I think CA got a little too close to a nuclear plant and turned commie atheist somewhere along the line. Clark, have you ever blacked out and woke up later with your clothes torn to shreds? Asking for a friend, don't get mad at me.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          It's a beautiful hymn both musically and lyrically, don't let other people ruin it for you. Stop listening to people sing and start reading the words and listening to the tune. Also, you need a little southern gospel in your soul. jmo
                          Don't like the tune either. Also, its too slow.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Right? I think CA got a little too close to a nuclear plant and turned commie atheist somewhere along the line. Clark, have you ever blacked out and woke up later with your clothes torn to shreds? Asking for a friend, don't get mad at me.
                            Ironic! If anything, that song is a commie. "Because I have been given much I too MUST give"???? Frankly, I think the hymn would be much more in line with the gospel if it were "Because I have been given much I also have the option to give or not"

Comment

Ironic! If anything, that song is a commie. "Because I have been given much I too MUST give"???? Frankly, I think the hymn would be much more in line with the gospel if it were "Because I have been given much I also have the option to give or not"
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Stand your ground Clark. I agree with you. Not a fan of BIHBGM.

You like harmony? Then you probably love the best gosh dang hymn in the book (outside of the Christmas songs), which is... Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses! If TRUOS doesn't make the cut, then I'm out!
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X