Going to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    When you say "great" do you mean great for veterans, or great for a guy who tried surfing once for a week when he was 19 and managed to stand up a couple times (for a purely hypothetical example).
    I was joking. You would probably die there. Though waves won't be that big this time of year.

Last edited by Surfah; 05-19-2014, 01:17 PM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Forgot to mention surfing. We were mostly occupied with snorkeling and boogie boards. Drove by several places with decent surfing (but nothing too big), but looked like it was mainly locals where a novice would be in the way.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I was joking. You would probably die there. Though waves won't be that big this time of year.

Probably should have used the google machine before I responded. Yeah I'm definitely looking for a beach I can walk away from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Forgot to mention surfing. We were mostly occupied with snorkeling and boogie boards. Drove by several places with decent surfing (but nothing too big), but looked like it was mainly locals where a novice would be in the way.
          Though it's been a few years the Lahaina cliffs/beaches are among my favorite snorkeling destinations (though I've only had a few international locations to compare it to). I held my first live octopus there and also had my first terrifying encounter with an eel as well. Also great boogie boarding with the smaller waves.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Is the Road to Hana worth the time?

Any tips are welcome.
            One our favorite beaches on Maui was down at Hana. It's like Hwy 1, if you're in a hurry don't do it, if you've got some time it's nice.

Comment

We did one of the bicycle tours down Haleakala. It was more fun than I thought it would be.

The tour ended in Paia. I like hanging out and walking through the shops in Paia more than anywhere else in Maui. It's a small hippie surfing town on the north shore east of Kahului. It has some cool little shops and restaurants. You can also watch the surfers, kite surfers, and wind surfers from the beach.

Golf at Kapalua is going to be $200- $300 per person. Kaanapali is somewhat more reasonable, $125 - $200 last time we were there. Both are on the west side of the island where it is going to be somewhere between breezy and windy. The courses on the south side aren't quite as breezy. We have enjoyed the Makena courses, I think they are underrated and a good value (relatively speaking).

If you want to try stand-up paddle boarding, Napili Bay is a nice place. Pretty sheltered and there is a shop right there with decent rental rates. It's a few miles north of Kaanapali, just before Kapalua.
              Last edited by chrisrenrut; 05-19-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I’m sitting in the Maui airport at 3:00 am. We have been to Hawaii 3 times in the past 13 months, and two of the times the plane on our return flight has had mechanical issues delaying us to the next day. My wife is convinced that the universe is telling us we shouldn’t leave, and just stay. If only the universe provided a paycheck and an affordable place to live.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  I’m sitting in the Maui airport at 3:00 am. We have been to Hawaii 3 times in the past 13 months, and two of the times the plane on our return flight has had mechanical issues delaying us to the next day.
                  I had one flight from Hawaii that was delayed for several hours, then when it finally got out an hour or so from the island it turned around and came back to fix something else. That was a LONG flight. I was on a cruise ship that turned around and went back once too.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                    I’m sitting in the Maui airport at 3:00 am. We have been to Hawaii 3 times in the past 13 months, and two of the times the plane on our return flight has had mechanical issues delaying us to the next day. My wife is convinced that the universe is telling us we shouldn’t leave, and just stay. If only the universe provided a paycheck and an affordable place to live.
                    Just came back from Maui and Lanai a couple weeks ago. The walk back to that gate and the realization you're leaving is such a cruel juxtaposition to that euphoric feeling of walking off the plane and realizing your trip is just starting. My fiancé actually has a legit opportunity to take a nice role out there with her company. I figure I could just sell tacos and surf.

Comment

• Heading to Maui in January! Can't wait.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Forgot to mention surfing. We were mostly occupied with snorkeling and boogie boards. Drove by several places with decent surfing (but nothing too big), but looked like it was mainly locals where a novice haole would be in the way get jacked.
                        FIFY

Comment

Heading to Maui in January! Can't wait.
                          Jealous!

Which part?
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Jealous!

Which part?
                            Kaanapali.

Comment

Kaanapali.
                              Excellent. Take it easy jumping off black rock.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Excellent. Take it easy jumping off black rock.
                                Love Black Rock. We are staying in a couple of condos at The Whaler.

Comment

Working...
                                X