The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Oh hell yes. I'm not sure I enjoyed that intense suspense, but that brand of horror creepiness is just the right note.
    Go see Hereditary. It’s rad. First movie that has genuinely scared me in awhile. Similar vibe to the witch and same studio.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      Go see Hereditary. It’s rad. First movie that has genuinely scared me in awhile. Similar vibe to the witch and same studio.
      Just saw it. So messed up! I'm on my own in San Francisco for a conference and hit the cinema on a solo mission. Very similar vibe to the Witch, but not really until the very last scene, and that's when it really reminded me of the Witch. In fact, now that I think about it, it was almost the exact same payoff, but it was great.

Spoiler for what I didn't really like:
      What I didn't like too much is the fate of the little girl. That was sudden and pretty messed up. Not a fan of seeing a little kid get killed like that- pretty awful. As for what worked for me? The mom's behavior was completely unnerving and I think that's what made this whole thing go. And along with the implications of the title- Hereditary- and allusions to her sleepwalking and nearly killing Peter in her sleep, you couldn't trust her character for a second. I also liked that there is a whole lot of story here that they didn't come out and spoon feed the audience. As I was sitting there when they kind of glazed over the whole 'Joan' conspiracy thing, I was thinking "aw shit- I'm totally going to have to go on youtube to get explanations of this" lol. And then when the husband accused HER of putting the body in the attic I had to stop and wonder for just a second if that's really what happened. And about that ending- so creepy! That hit just right. It wasn't punching you in the face with the whole Satanic thing like the Exorcist or something, but was more like 1700's style occult stuff, which is somehow more menacing and creepy. OH and those naked people in the shadows- that effect they used that had apparitions in the background? Awesome. Oh! I also liked that it was totally filmed in Utah. That funeral- I was trying to decide which cemetery in Provo they were at.
      Last edited by Commando; 06-15-2018, 12:09 AM.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
        Just saw it. So messed up! I'm on my own in San Francisco for a conference and hit the cinema on a solo mission. Very similar vibe to the Witch, but not really until the very last scene, and that's when it really reminded me of the Witch. In fact, now that I think about it, it was almost the exact same payoff, but it was great.

Spoiler for what I didn't really like:
        What I didn't like too much is the fate of the little girl. That was sudden and pretty messed up. Not a fan of seeing a little kid get killed like that- pretty awful. As for what worked for me? The mom's behavior was completely unnerving and I think that's what made this whole thing go. And along with the implications of the title- Hereditary- and allusions to her sleepwalking and nearly killing Peter in her sleep, you couldn't trust her character for a second. I also liked that there is a whole lot of story here that they didn't come out and spoon feed the audience. As I was sitting there when they kind of glazed over the whole 'Joan' conspiracy thing, I was thinking "aw shit- I'm totally going to have to go on youtube to get explanations of this" lol. And then when the husband accused HER of putting the body in the attic I had to stop and wonder for just a second if that's really what happened. And about that ending- so creepy! That hit just right. It wasn't punching you in the face with the whole Satanic thing like the Exorcist or something, but was more like 1700's style occult stuff, which is somehow more menacing and creepy. OH and those naked people in the shadows- that effect they used that had apparitions in the background? Awesome. Oh! I also liked that it was totally filmed in Utah. That funeral- I was trying to decide which cemetery in Provo they were at.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftsByCharlieG

An hour was cut from the movie.

Spoiler for Some random thoughts and stuff I picked up on:
        The mother almost killing them in their sleep was her subconscious effort to stop the ritual. When she has that dream where she tells Peter she tried to miscarry, and he cries about her trying to kill him, she said something like, "I was trying to save you."
        That death was brutal. The head, Peter's state of shock and Annie's wailing in grief were seriously upsetting and disturbing. I thought when Joan shows up at school and casts that spell on Peter was pretty scary.
        Charlie was off from the very start. What I don't know if how connected she was to Paiman and when it started. She never cried. She had macabre interests. She made strange Goetic figures.
        The director has said it was part of a ritual decades in the making. The myths that were discussed in Peter's class explained a lot of the themes about free will and tragedy etc.
        Last edited by frank ryan; 06-15-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Incredibles 2.

It's great.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• You'd have to be pretty heartless not to enjoy Won't You Be My Neighbor?, the story of Fred Rogers. His eponymous show began after my childhood, and my initial reaction when I saw it for the first time with my oldest daughter when she was a toddler was that the show was ridiculously simple, even stupid. But she (and subsequent kids) loved it and the show explains why. Taking all of the standard elements of TV and doing pretty much the opposite, Fred Rogers created a show where his audience learned some very important lessons in a comfortable and loving environment. The guy was pretty amazing, and the private Fred Rogers was pretty much the same as his television persona. One son says something like, "Imagine being raised by a second Christ."

The only ones with anything bad to say about the guy are a couple of Fox News commentators who blame him for kids being so soft today (people shouldn't feel good about themselves until they accomplish something). The Westboro Church also demonstrated at his funeral in 2003 because he was tolerant of gays, apparently.

An enjoyable 90 minutes, with Rotten Tomatoes ratings (critics and audeinces) of 99%.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              You'd have to be pretty heartless not to enjoy Won't You Be My Neighbor?, the story of Fred Rogers. His eponymous show began after my childhood, and my initial reaction when I saw it for the first time with my oldest daughter when she was a toddler was that the show was ridiculously simple, even stupid. But she (and subsequent kids) loved it and the show explains why. Taking all of the standard elements of TV and doing pretty much the opposite, Fred Rogers created a show where his audience learned some very important lessons in a comfortable and loving environment. The guy was pretty amazing, and the private Fred Rogers was pretty much the same as his television persona. One son says something like, "Imagine being raised by a second Christ."

The only ones with anything bad to say about the guy are a couple of Fox News commentators who blame him for kids being so soft today (people shouldn't feel good about themselves until they accomplish something). The Westboro Church also demonstrated at his funeral in 2003 because he was tolerant of gays, apparently.

An enjoyable 90 minutes, with Rotten Tomatoes ratings (critics and audeinces) of 99%.
              The trailers make it a must-see. Glad it was well-done. I remember finding it weird as a kid, but my siblings liked it for a while.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Incredibles 2.

It's great.
                Agreed. Loved it.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  You'd have to be pretty heartless not to enjoy Won't You Be My Neighbor?, the story of Fred Rogers. His eponymous show began after my childhood, and my initial reaction when I saw it for the first time with my oldest daughter when she was a toddler was that the show was ridiculously simple, even stupid. But she (and subsequent kids) loved it and the show explains why. Taking all of the standard elements of TV and doing pretty much the opposite, Fred Rogers created a show where his audience learned some very important lessons in a comfortable and loving environment. The guy was pretty amazing, and the private Fred Rogers was pretty much the same as his television persona. One son says something like, "Imagine being raised by a second Christ."

If not that, we saw something similar on PBS a couple months ago. When I was a kid watching his show, I always liked his trips to factories to see how things were made.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Won’t You Be My Neighbor

Very touching documentary about Fred Rogers. Should probably be avoided super anti-PC people as the central theme of his work was the inherent worthwhileness and specialness of children. They even play a Fox News excerpt about how Mr Rogers ruined young adults by telling them they were special.

Interestingly enough, Rogers was a lifelong republican. Truly a Christlike man.

Comment

• We went to Sicario: Day of Soldado this weekend and I didn't care for it. It was a poorly written disjointed story and sloppy film making.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        We went to Sicario: Day of Soldado this weekend and I didn't care for it. It was a poorly written disjointed story and sloppy film making.
                        That is too bad, as I really liked the first one.
                        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Tag. Funny stuff. It is "Hangover-ish". Good fun guy movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                            That is too bad, as I really liked the first one.
                            I thought it was pretty good. Doesn't hold a candle to the first one, and takes a wildly divergent path from it, but I'd still recommend giving it a watch. Solid thriller.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              Won’t You Be My Neighbor

Very touching documentary about Fred Rogers. Should probably be avoided super anti-PC people as the central theme of his work was the inherent worthwhileness and specialness of children. They even play a Fox News excerpt about how Mr Rogers ruined young adults by telling them they were special.

Interestingly enough, Rogers was a lifelong republican. Truly a Christlike man.
                              Took my 13-year-old to it, thinking he would be bored. He said he liked it. So did I.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Went and saw the latest Jurassic Park.

It was a fun summer movie - some nice scary moments and a couple of twists and turns in the plot that are at least reminiscent of some of the prior Jurassic movies.

Worth what we paid, but I'm not sure it's one I need to see again in the theater. Does seem to set itself up for the next Jurassic - so we'll see what happens there.

Comment

Working...
                                X