No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ended up playing Logan River. I asked around and they said there were no issues with flooding this year. And I played Smithfield Birch Creek last year (very nice by the way). I played 9 with my 10 year old son and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. I shot a 45 which is one over bogey. I hate that kind of course. I teed off with a 6 or 7 iron on basically every hole. Everything's short and tight. But it's probably good for my scoring because my irons have been on and driver has been terrible lately. I pulled out my driver on one hole and it took five shots before I hit one in the fairway. Grrr. I gave myself an 8. My best shot was a 170 yard 8 iron to an island-ish green five feet from the pin. My son did well and it was fun playing with him. He had a legit par from the women's tees on a par 3. And he's excited to go back out with me. So, success.

Comment

• How many clubs do you guys rock in your bag? I assume th standard bag will have irons 3-PW, but I have seen some dudes tote around several types of wedges, two putters, different amounts of fairway woods (or none besides a driver), etc. What do you have in your set? Also, are you old school....do you carry a ball retriever?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Rules are you can only have 14 clubs in your bag. While I've never been in any sort of event where that would matter, I tend to only carry 14. That includes a driver, 2 hybrids (3 and 4), 5-PW, 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges, and a putter. If I were to add a club, it would be a 3 wood and I'd lose either my 3 hybrid or my 60 degree wedge.

Edit: I guess I'm technically only at 13 right now. Hooray!
        Last edited by falafel; 06-10-2012, 06:17 PM.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          How many clubs do you guys rock in your bag? I assume th standard bag will have irons 3-PW, but I have seen some dudes tote around several types of wedges, two putters, different amounts of fairway woods (or none besides a driver), etc. What do you have in your set? Also, are you old school....do you carry a ball retriever?
          Rules of competive golf allow 14 clubs. The normal would be 3 woods (driver, 3, and 5 wood) 3-9 irons, 3 wedges (pitching, sand, approach and/or lob) and putter. Some will replace their 5 wood and lower irons with hybrid clubs.

Personally I don't carry a 5 wood, and carry 4 wedges instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
            Rules of competive golf allow 14 clubs. The normal would be 3 woods (driver, 3, and 5 wood) 3-9 irons, 3 wedges (pitching, sand, approach and/or lob) and putter. Some will replace their 5 wood and lower irons with hybrid clubs.

Personally I don't carry a 5 wood, and carry 4 wedges instead.
            I carried a 3 and 5 wood for several years but never used either. Now I carry a hybrid and 4 wedges.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
              I carried a 3 and 5 wood for several years but never used either. Now I carry a hybrid and 4 wedges.
              I have seen this in my limited experience. I saw it on Saturday which is why I asked. The guy we were with didn't even bother with his 3 and 5 wood because he said he never used them. He did have 4 wedges and 2 putters though.

I have no skills so I never use a wood either. Of course if I went by what I use, I would only carry around 5 clubs

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Rules are you can only have 14 clubs in your bag. While I've never been in any sort of event where that would matter, I tend to only carry 14. That includes a driver, 2 hybrids (3 and 4), 5-PW, 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges, and a putter. If I were to add a club, it would be a 3 wood and I'd lose either my 3 hybrid or my 60 degree wedge.

Edit: I guess I'm technically only at 13 right now. Hooray!
                The hybrids are bad-a** but I am not skilled at the usage.

I'm confused, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Why would your 3 wood replace a 60 wedge?

sigpic

Comment

• Driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 5-U, 54, 58, putter. I'm tempted to take the 58 out and put my 37* putter back in, it seems like a cheating old man club but I'm good with it.

I don't carry a ball retriever, though my FiL does and spends 2-19 minutes at each water hazard fishing for balls.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

The hybrids are bad-a** but I am not skilled at the usage.

I'm confused, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Why would your 3 wood replace a 60 wedge?
                    For me the hybrids are the easiest club to hit correctly.

The 60 would replace his 3 to stay at 14 clubs in his bag, was what I understood.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      For me the hybrids are the easiest club to hit correctly.

The 60 would replace his 3 to stay at 14 clubs in his bag, was what I understood.
                      I see. That is what I thought, but figured I could be missing something obvious.

Do you mix up club brands or are all of your irons and such the same brand?

sigpic

Comment

I see. That is what I thought, but figured I could be missing something obvious.

I'm an all the same brand, that's mostly because of my mild OCD issues. Most guys mix and match it seems to me.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          I'm an all the same brand, that's mostly because of my mild OCD issues. Most guys mix and match it seems to me.
                          I have a mix, as well.

I think I am going to get a ball retriever. I can't think of a good reason to not buy one.

sigpic

Comment

• Callaway Razor Hawk 10* Neutral Driver
                            Callaway FT 3 Wood
                            Callaway FT 5 wood
                            Home made 7 wood with a driver shaft.
                            Ping i-20, (4)5-PW plus a UW (52*). The 4 iron stays at home.
                            Volkey 56*, Mizuno 60*
                            TM Rossa Belly Putter.

I wish the rule was 15 clubs, I would add another putter (short).

I'm a loser. 13 hours on the road, and the first second thing I did when got home was check out the golf thread.
                            Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I just remembered I also have a "U" wedge. I almost never use it, that's why I forgot. I would dump the U wedge if I got a 3 wood. Its the same loft as my Cleveland gap wedge.

My driver and hybrids are Taylormade, my irons Ping, my wedges Cleveland, and my putter Rife.

I also wear Adidas shoes (sometimes with Nike socks).
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                I also wear Adidas shoes (sometimes with Nike socks).
                                I'm embarrassed for you.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X