Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other planets

Popular Mechanics:

NASA announced today that the Kepler space telescope has spotted some 1200 planets in a four-month period of observation, including 68 Earth-size planets. We talked to William Borucki, the principle investigator of the mission, about Kepler’s successes, whether there is life on other planets and what the future holds for the telescope.
    Too bad we can't hie to them all in the twinkling of an eye and see who's there.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Cleon Skousen is vindicated.

The Kepler space telescope didnt happen to see any dinosaurs or lost tribes hanging out on these planets, did it?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

My understanding is that Kolob is, well, like a giant crystal or someting. Sounds really boring.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Cleon Skousen is vindicated.

The Kepler space telescope didnt happen to see any dinosaurs or lost tribes hanging out on these planets, did it?
        Reportedly the Kepler saw some Earth-size planets with large sections missing. This fits in with the widely-accepted understanding that certain planets did have dinosaurs, but that was because they were used in a planet and organism-creation practicum (in an Eternal Progression master's degree program). Chunks of these planets were used to create Earth, which explains so-called "prehistoric" fossils.
        Last edited by LA Ute; 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          Reportedly the Kepler saw some Earth-size planets with large sections missing. This fits in with the widely-accepted understanding that certain planets did have dinosaurs, but that was because they were used in a planet and organism-creation practicum (in an Eternal Progression master's degree program). Chunks of these planets were used to create Earth, which explains so-called "prehistoric" fossils.
          Honestly LA I've had more than one person look me in the eye and tell me exactly that.
          The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Borderline Divine View Post
            Honestly LA I've had more than one person look me in the eye and tell me exactly that.
            Apparently those people have never experienced the joy of digging their own ditches. Any kid who spent more than five minutes in a sandbox could tell you the sand/dirt will fall toward the lowest point in the absense of any support. Take a big enough chunk out of a planet and it will collapse in on itself.

Boom Ditches!

It is fascinating how quickly they are finding new planets considering the very first planet outside of our solar system was discovered within the last 15 years. 1200 in 4 months is amazing.

Question: How many of these planets are within the Milky Way Galaxy? I assume most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
              Apparently those people have never experienced the joy of digging their own ditches. Any kid who spent more than five minutes in a sandbox could tell you the sand/dirt will fall toward the lowest point in the absense of any support. Take a big enough chunk out of a planet and it will collapse in on itself.

Boom Ditches!
              Umm.... Yeah. That's the reason this doesn't make sense. The dirt will fall in.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey. I was just looking for an opening to use the stupid ditch line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

But we don't know what celestial engineering techniques were used. Oh, ye of little faith....

Seriously, I do find these sorts of discoveries fascinating. The vastness of space has always fascinated me. That's why I keep posting that photo of the Sombrero Galaxy here. I never get tired of contemplating that one.
                  Last edited by LA Ute; 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM.
                  ― W.H. Auden

Comment

BTW, how much does someone need to spend on decent telescope that will allow them to get a pretty good views of Mars, Jupiter, nebulas and galaxies? I live in a place where I could probably get some pretty clear views (clean air, dark nights).
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey. I was just looking for an opening to use the stupid ditch line.
                      Aha.. the belabored setup.

BTW, did you fix the cable?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        But we don't know what celestial engineering techniques were used. Oh, ye of little faith....

Seriously, I do find these sorts of discoveries fascinating. The vastness of space has always fascinated me. That's why I keep posting that photo of the Sombrero Galaxy here. I never get tired of contemplating that one.
                        Yep. It definitely bakes the old noodle.

Comment

I was distracted by something or other. But I did leave with stars in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            BTW, how much does someone need to spend on decent telescope that will allow them to get a pretty good views of Mars, Jupiter, nebulas and galaxies? I live in a place where I could probably get some pretty clear views (clean air, dark nights).

We got a pretty decent one for about $500 a few years ago, but if you really want to see things you need to spend more. I haven't priced that stuff for about 10 years. My son got his Astronomy merit badge and became very engrossed in the subject. He knew the night sky very well.

Now I am going to inflict my photos on you all again:

The Sombrero Galaxy, 28 million light years from Earth. Voted best picture taken by the Hubble telescope. The galaxy has 800 billion suns and is 50,000 light years across.

The Cone Nebula. The part pictured here is 2.5 light years in length (the equivalent of 23 million return trips to the Moon).

From 114 million light years away, these are the swirling cores of two merging galaxies called NGC 2207 and IC 2163 in the Canis Major constellation.

Astronomers call this a 'stellar nursery', 9,000 light years from here, where new stars are being born.
                            ― W.H. Auden

Comment

It is fascinating how quickly they are finding new planets considering the very first planet outside of our solar system was discovered within the last 15 years. 1200 in 4 months is amazing.
                              I'm hoping within 30 years or so we will have control of these planets and can start directing life as a superior species. My years of experience playing Sid Meier's Civilization will make me a frontrunner in leading this Project Genesis.

When I think about the vastness of space, I get really uncomfortable. Not like when I think about what's in my chicken mcnugget, but still, pretty uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X