Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    I'm with you Commando. I liked Lost.

All these people denigrating Lost who never watched it.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• More about Last Chance U: I watched the first two episodes and they were really well done. Most of you know that I hate sports movies. They're so manipulative; it always comes down to the last few seconds, when our plucky little athletes, facing incredible odds, have somehow pulled within a single score of winning. Then the light go low, the motion goes slow, and the violins surge, and the hero slowly crosses the plane. But this docuseries is all true-- it really happened that way. And sometimes the protagonist doesnt win.

This will be of interest to you ute fans: one of the main characters is a truly gifted running back named DJ Law. Like all of the other guys on the team, Law was accepted by a D1 program, only to fail due to grades, (they are all there due to grades or off-the-field issues, or insubordination with the coaching staff-- this is why the series is called Last Chance U). Law was supposed to play for the Utes, and in episode 1, you see him waving a Utah hat wistfully, like he knows he could have gotten to D1 had he just studied harder. (Actually, he's this guy who signed with both Utah and Ole Miss.) The camera pulls in for a closeup interview: Law admits that even with his athletic ability, he doesn't know how to study; he's so disciplined on the field and so undisciplined in the classroom. Later in the episode, we meet Law's father who is a common street thug, in and out of jail, and so young he seems more like Law's brother. Law says that in coming to JUCO, he has gotten farther in education than anyone else in his family, ever. I wonder how he even manages to get that far-- it is obvious that he was never given the tools to study and to read. This series does a great job in explaining how even the most gifted athlete on the gridiron can be crushed by the demands of collegiate life.

There are plenty of subplots, involving the one woman in the movie, the QB controversy, the huge beefy lineman who is dumb as a box of rocks and who has learned that his size allows him to bully everyone. (Mute whenever he is onscreen, because he only knows 10 words, and 4 of them are versions of the F word). I like the player Isaiah, pretty laid back, but capable of some gutsy moves when it involves football. (There's a hilarious scene where he puts himself in the game on kickoff return, and he runs the ball back and scores a touchdown, with the coach on the sideline yelling "Who's that guy?") I like the offensive coordinator who doesn't really swear and seems to be a religious man. I like the white QB vying for the starting role-- unlike most of the other players, he is not there for bad reasons- he didn't get a shot at D1 and figures winning a championship at a JUCO will step him up to a decent program. But he has options-- he tells the camera that if he doesn't make it in football, he'll probably go to Ole Miss and play intramurals and graduate the average joe way.
      Last edited by Katy Lied; 08-01-2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Just finished Stranger Things. Like most on here. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the homage to The greatest time in my life. Bey nostalgic..

One thing I have noticed is that kids just don't ride bikes to get places or be outside as much. Gone are the days of kids doing that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          More about Last Chance U:
          I started watching this, too. I think I am about 3 episodes in- it's pretty fun, but I find nobody wants to watch it with me since it's about football.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Recently watched The Last Kingdom and very much recommend it. Historical fiction set in late ninth century England as different kingdoms fight to repel Danish viking invasions. It's done by the BBC and pretty entertaining. It's a more-tame Game of Thrones with less boobies and no dragons, but I enjoyed it for the semi-educational experience of learning about Alfred the Great and the formation of England out of Wessex, Mercia, and the other surrounding kingdoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
              Making a Murderer. if you liked the jinx, you'll like this.
              Brendan Dassey's conviction overturned by a federal judge. That's good -- the way he was manipulated by police and betrayed by his lawyers was so appalling.

Comment

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

An Amazon Original Movie coming to Theater. The trailer itself was beyond moving..

Gleason.

https://youtu.be/WgkQU32XSFQ

Last edited by dabrockster; 08-12-2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• I'm watching The Get Down. It's pretty awesome-- all you nostalgia junkies jump on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                    An Amazon Original Movie coming to Theater. The trailer itself was beyond moving..

Gleason.

https://youtu.be/WgkQU32XSFQ

I saw it at Sundance. It was an amazing movie.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      A guy with an iq of 70 was smart enough to cover the entire thing up?

If what his nephew who was also convicted says is true, they slit her throat, raped her repeatedly, shot her 11 times, choked her and shackled her to the bed, yet they found zero dna inside the house? They searched the home 7 times and it wasn't until the 4th time they found the car key in his room in the middle of the bedroom floor? A car key she had for 4 years but only his dna was on it, not hers. It had clearly been scrubbed.

I think the cops found her dead and placed the evidence to make it look like he did it. Whether it was suicide or something else. She posted a video about living a good life and being happy if she died. Creepy thing for a 25 year old to say.
                      Brendan's conviction was overturned yesterday.
                      http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2...rder/88632502/

Edit: I'm a hack didn't see Cardiac's post. Mine does have a link though.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        I'm watching The Get Down. It's pretty awesome-- all you nostalgia junkies jump on this.
                        I agree. Entertaining.
                        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Extremis. A Netflix documentary short on ending life support decisions.

Not sure if I would be able to cope watching but it looks to be one to watch..

https://youtu.be/TJiY8duVgz0

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                            Extremis. A Netflix documentary short on ending life support decisions.

Not sure if I would be able to cope watching but it looks to be one to watch..

https://youtu.be/TJiY8duVgz0
                            Just for the record, you're posting a recommendation for a documentary you've never watched?
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Thanks for stating the obvious Einstein..

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Just for the record, you're posting a recommendation for a documentary you've never watched?
                                He once recommended a tattoo video that he hadn't watched!!!

Anyway, that is his story and he is sticking to it.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X