I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    The Trib's writeup is much more even-handed than your presentation of it.

...The bill also gets rid of the private club designation, which is a good thing because the private club designation was dumb....
    Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    The private club designation has been long gone. What they are removing is the "dining club" and "social club" designations. The designations were middle ground for places like Red Rock, Squatters, and other brewpubs. It isn't helpful to these businesses to get rid of these designations....
    I have a friend who recently purchased a restaurant that had a "Dining Club" license. Basically this means that they could get as much as 40% of their income from alcohol, but had to get at least 60% of their income from food.

She's pretty pissed. The dining club license was made for places that are not quite all restaurant, but not quite all bar either. They were required to have the bar separate from the family restaurant - so many have 2 sections to them. Because of the unique nature of the dining club license, it cost them a premium to purchase the place they purchased. Which just lost most of it's value due to that designation of license going away.

She doesn't want to own a bar. But she isn't LDS, and liked that her establishment was a place that friends could go for a drink. Their business model was based on being able to attracted both families who want a nice meal and groups who are getting together for a drink. She doesn't believe that they'll survive financially trying to be just one or the other.

She doesn't understand why our state legislature wants there to be more bars that aren't required to serve food - resulting in more people drinking on an empty stomach.

The answer I didn't tell her is - our state legislature probably believes that there isn't a demand for more bars. So they're hoping that requiring businesses like hers to pick and either be all bar or all restaurant will result in many turning into restaurants, and those that choose to be bars going bankrupt and closing - and there being fewer places people can gather to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Funk, you should stop drinking. It isn't healthy.
      Thank you for your concern about my health. I really believe it is sincere. I have considered you advice and made the determination that I will continue to consume alcohol in moderation.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        I have a friend who recently purchased a restaurant that had a "Dining Club" license. Basically this means that they could get as much as 40% of their income from alcohol, but had to get at least 60% of their income from food.

She's pretty pissed. The dining club license was made for places that are not quite all restaurant, but not quite all bar either. They were required to have the bar separate from the family restaurant - so many have 2 sections to them. Because of the unique nature of the dining club license, it cost them a premium to purchase the place they purchased. Which just lost most of it's value due to that designation of license going away.

She doesn't want to own a bar. But she isn't LDS, and liked that her establishment was a place that friends could go for a drink. Their business model was based on being able to attracted both families who want a nice meal and groups who are getting together for a drink. She doesn't believe that they'll survive financially trying to be just one or the other.

She doesn't understand why our state legislature wants there to be more bars that aren't required to serve food - resulting in more people drinking on an empty stomach.

The answer I didn't tell her is - our state legislature probably believes that there isn't a demand for more bars. So they're hoping that requiring businesses like hers to pick and either be all bar or all restaurant will result in many turning into restaurants, and those that choose to be bars going bankrupt and closing - and there being fewer places people can gather to drink.
        There is also another reason, they want to funnel more and more alcohol sales to the state liquor store. Consuming alcohol is dirty and sinful and most be stopped, unless, of course, the state can make money off of it.

BagleyDABC.jpg
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Thank you for your concern about my health. I really believe it is sincere. I have considered you advice and made the determination that I will continue to consume alcohol in moderation.
          Baby steps.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Baby steps.
            You have put me on the first step on the path to reactivation into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You can make me your missionary moment on Sunday.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

You have put me on the first step on the path to reactivation into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You can make me your missionary moment on Sunday.
              Next we are going to work on that cynicism.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                The Trib's writeup is much more even-handed than your presentation of it.

Note that the Zion Moat isn't a literal moat - it's simply a 10 foot area around the bar where kids can't enter.
                That's disappointing. I was hoping for sharks with laser beams in the moats.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                  That's disappointing. I was hoping for sharks with laser beams in the moats.
                  I think you mean frikkin laser beams.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

So why is Chaffetz calling it quits?

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      It's really odd. Maybe some sort of scandal. That guy loves his bully pulpit too much to give it up because he misses wifey.

Comment

UT posted that he might be considering a run for governor. The website www.jasonforgovernor.com redirects to his congressional campaign website.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-race-46905171

Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz's decision not to seek another term in Congress and possibly resign sets the GOP congressman up for a 2020 run for governor without a damaging re-election campaign or pressure to doggedly investigate his party's president.

Instead, the 50-year-old congressman who breezed through four re-election campaigns can lay the groundwork for the governor's race, opening the door for a number of ambitious Utah Republicans to try to replace him in Congress.

A day after announcing he wouldn't seek re-election next year, Chaffetz said Thursday that he may not even finish the two-year term that started four months ago. Chaffetz said in a text message: "My future plans are not yet finalized but I haven't ruled out the possibility of leaving early. In the meantime I still have a job to do and I have no plans to take my foot off the gas."
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think it's because polarization in congress has made it hard for moderates like him to reach across the aisle and get work done for Americans.

For the record I couldn't even type that with a straight face.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            I think it's because polarization in congress has made it hard for moderates like him to reach across the aisle and get work done for Americans.

For the record I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Comment

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...165005627.html

I'm not a resident of Utah so this doesn't really matter to me but I did find it funny that this guy goes by John Q. Cannon. Must be hoping to sit in those big red chairs in the conference center one day.

Comment

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...165005627.html

I'm not a resident of Utah so this doesn't really matter to me but I did find it funny that this guy goes by John Q. Cannon. Must be hoping to sit in those big red chairs in the conference center one day.
                                Don't know what the church is paying this guy, but this line would make me run away.

The position pays between $100,000 and $160,000 annually and includes overseeing a staff of about 65 attorneys, policy analysts and other workers. In addition to drafting laws and advising lawmakers on legal matters, the nonpartisan office gives guidance on constitutional issues and legislative rules and provides information technology services

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X