No announcement yet.

Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 was too full of vacations, frankly, and the wife would like to reign it in. We went to Paris and Normandy for spring break; Iceland for a four-day getaway; Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland in the summer; a Disney cruise to Alaska; Florida beaches and amusement parks in late summer; Chicago for the Hamilton play and the Chicago Cubs World Series parade; the Berkshires in Massachusetts (to visit the Rockwell museum mostly) and take in the fall foilage; New York City several times for weekend getaways; and of course the annual pilgrimages to Utah . . . I think I should take the opposite of your advice and not go on any vacations for a while. Except for the return trip to Iceland, this time two weeks, we have planned for next summer. Oh yea, and the trip to Barcelona and Madrid to watch Messi and Ronaldo in person with my boys. But other than that, I think we'll ignore your advice. Seems to be a good rule of thumb anyway.
    Last edited by Levin; 11-23-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I guess I'll add: Currently in KC for Thanksgiving, but working too much. We are also going to SLC over New Year's. My maternal Grandma's birthday is December 31. She is my last surviving grandparent and is turning 100. Both paternal grandparents died at 99. We are finally getting a 100th bday celebration, so we are really going to blow it out with all her posterity flying in from all over the country. All her kids, 12 grandkids + spouses and something like 30 great grandkids. Also a lot of grandma's nieces and nephews and some distant relatives she has connected with in Denmark (she is a genealogy machine) are coming. Should be fun and I know grandma will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        I guess I'll add: Currently in KC for Thanksgiving, but working too much. We are also going to SLC over New Year's. My maternal Grandma's birthday is December 31. She is my last surviving grandparent and is turning 100. Both paternal grandparents died at 99. We are finally getting a 100th bday celebration, so we are really going to blow it out with all her posterity flying in from all over the country. All her kids, 12 grandkids + spouses and something like 30 great grandkids. Also a lot of grandma's nieces and nephews and some distant relatives she has connected with in Denmark (she is a genealogy machine) are coming. Should be fun and I know grandma will love it.
        you better knock on wood bro
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          you better knock on wood bro
          Yep. My mom said if she dies within a week of her birthday, at least we all already have travel arrangements for the funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            2016 was too full of vacations, frankly, and the wife would like to reign it in. We went to Paris and Normandy for spring break; Iceland for a four-day getaway; Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland in the summer; a Disney cruise to Alaska; Florida beaches and amusement parks in late summer; Chicago for the Hamilton play and the Chicago Cubs World Series parade; the Berkshires in Massachusetts (to visit the Rockwell museum mostly) and take in the fall foilage; New York City several times for weekend getaways; and of course the annual pilgrimages to Utah . . . I think I should take the opposite of your advice and not go on any vacations for a while. Except for the return trip to Iceland, this time two weeks, we have planned for next summer. Oh yea, and the trip to Barcelona and Madrid to watch Messi and Ronaldo in person with my boys. But other than that, I think we'll ignore your advice. Seems to be a good rule of thumb anyway.
            Freaking Levin and his wondrous travel schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
              I would like to encourage all of you to take a vacation from Mormonism.

Not a long vacation. Maybe 6 months.

If your life is worse 6 months later, then go back to Church. If your life is better, try an extended vacation from Mormonism. You may be surprised by what you find.

I implore you to exercise a particle of faith and do an experiment upon my words.

Good luck!
              Great advise, I'll take it into consideration.

Now, I've got a prescription for you:

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

2017 should be great for vacations. I have a trip planned to Europe with stops in the UK, Switzerland, Moscow, and France. I will also be headed to Bermuda in the late spring for a bit. Then to begin the summer we are doing a week at Disney World (I hate the place but taking one for the kids and praying I get to week two) and then a week at the beach on the panhandle.

Last but not least, and I must say I am disappointed that I am the first to mention BYU football plans, I plan on being in Houston for the LSU game, in Starkville to get Luke Staley's revenge, and one or both of the Utah and Wisconsin games in Utah.

Like I said, 2017 is looking great! Thanks for the reminder, BM.

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                  2017 should be great for vacations. I have a trip planned to Europe with stops in the UK, Switzerland, Moscow, and France. I will also be headed to Bermuda in the late spring for a bit. Then to begin the summer we are doing a week at Disney World (I hate the place but taking one for the kids and praying I get to week two) and then a week at the beach on the panhandle.

Last but not least, and I must say I am disappointed that I am the first to mention BYU football plans, I plan on being in Houston for the LSU game, in Starkville to get Luke Staley's revenge, and one or both of the Utah and Wisconsin games in Utah.

Like I said, 2017 is looking great! Thanks for the reminder, BM.
                  I've got a lengthy school at Fort Lee this summer which ends the day before the LSU game in Houston. I'll be flying through Houston on my way home to catch the game.

Comment

The family spent the week before Independence Day on a beautiful beach in Baja Mexico. I, on the other hand, having just changed jobs a couple of months before, got to bill extra hours.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      My mother the professional genealogist (who's maiden name is the same as your sir name) also went to that small town. There are 26 generations of Lebowski's who were born, baptized, and married in that same small perish. Incredible if you stop to think about it - 26 consecutive generations of the same family in the same town.

It tickles me tho know that we're related.
                      Nope. This town was for the Griswold line.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        Holy cow. Thread winner.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I took a vacation from church for a few weeks earlier this year but didn’t enjoy it. Many friends from the ward kept bothering me with nice cards, flowers, treats, words of affirmation, prayers, and lots of care and support. Jerks.

That vacation having been foiled by the inconsiderate masses, we've begun planning another. In May we’ll spend 2-3 weeks in Ireland and on the Isle of Man (from which my father’s ancestors emigrated). On the IoM we’ll have a private tour with a genealogist who will take us to my ancestral farm, the parish my forebears attended, etc.

On Ireland, we’ll see all the touristy sights, including a couple of days at Ashford Castle where we’ll participate in a gourmet program and I’ll receive a hands-on lesson in falconry. I’m also looking forward to a breakfast of berries in Dingle, a brief stay at Bantry House and, weather permitting, receiving a lightsaber from Mrs. PAC atop Skellig Michael amid the ruins of a 1500-year-old monastery.

Should my life get even worse I may re-try BM’s vacation suggestion. Until then, I’m good, but thanks for the rec; always looking for vacation ideas.
                          In between geneology tours on the isle of Man, make sure to carve out some time to go on a sightseeing tour of all of the roads in the area ridden by The Manx Missile, even Mark Cavendish. I'm sure there's a shrine or a statue there in his honor. I'm picturing something like Rocky on the top of the Museum of Art steps in Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            I've got a lengthy school at Fort Lee this summer which ends the day before the LSU game in Houston. I'll be flying through Houston on my way home to catch the game.
                            TJAGLCS?

Edit: that might be Charlottesville.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

We are spending Christmas in Orlando at Disneyworld. Might be a mistake, but I plan to make the best of it.

Comment

We went to Yellowstone this past summer.

I think it might be my favorite family vacation to date.
                                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Working...
                                X