Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    I think his real skill is self-promotion.
    He is a speed learner, after all...
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Really cool article about mormon funeral potatoes. Also cool stuff about Boulder, Utah.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/uta...ive-1511361725
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Really cool article about mormon funeral potatoes. Also cool stuff about Boulder, Utah.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/uta...ive-1511361725
        You're going to have to fair-use that thing here.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          Seconded.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I thought this was a great article/opinion piece explaining how liberals and conservatives view each other and why neither side seems to want to pay much attention to the other. Being an independent myself, I'm always trying to understand both sides and this helps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/07/o...ves-trump.html

If you have problems seeing New York Times articles, open it in a Private Window, or Incognito Window, or whatever your browser calls a window with no history and no memory of what you've seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Seconded.
              the wsj is the one paywalled publisher worth subscribing to you cheap bastards
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Most of you have probably heard about Keaton Jones, the kid who was bullied and whose mother posted a video of him describing his treatment at school. It went viral, and the outpouring of support from athletes and celebrities has been wonderful to see. The video breaks your heart.

It's nice to see people reach out to a stranger just because they want to help. It reinforces my belief that many people are generally good. Watching it makes me reflect on my own kids. It makes me wonder if they are experiencing problems like this and not telling me. More troubling, it makes me question what my kids are doing to help (or hurt?) the Keaton Jones' in our school. It's going to be a topic of discussion tonight for sure.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• https://www.wsj.com/articles/david-r...eek-1512494592

Some might say David Rockefeller, a scion of America’s greatest fortune and the veteran chief executive of Chase Manhattan Bank, was a dedicated networker long before the age of Facebook.

That would grossly understate his horizons. Mr. Rockefeller recorded contact information along with every meeting he had with about 100,000 people world-wide on white 3-by-5-inch index cards. He amassed about 200,000 of the cards, which filled a custom-built Rolodex machine. He kept the 5-foot high electronic device at his family’s suite of offices in New York City’s Rockefeller Center for about half a century.

“In the annals of CEO history, the breadth and depth of this record of contacts stand out,’’ said Nancy Koehn, a Harvard business professor and historian. “This is a man with a large, long reach.’’

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                    Most of you have probably heard about Keaton Jones, the kid who was bullied and whose mother posted a video of him describing his treatment at school. It went viral, and the outpouring of support from athletes and celebrities has been wonderful to see. The video breaks your heart.

It's nice to see people reach out to a stranger just because they want to help. It reinforces my belief that many people are generally good. Watching it makes me reflect on my own kids. It makes me wonder if they are experiencing problems like this and not telling me. More troubling, it makes me question what my kids are doing to help (or hurt?) the Keaton Jones' in our school. It's going to be a topic of discussion tonight for sure.
                    So the people of the internet have done some digging and uncovered part of the reason Keaton Jones doesn't fit in at school: His mother is a little different, too. Great, now a kid who is obviously struggling will get made fun of because of something else he can't/doesn't know how to control. Why on earth anyone was under the illusion that young Keaton was getting picked on for no reason is beyond me.

We watched the video as a family last night, and I tried to make the point that kids often get picked on because they are in some way different or difficult to be around. The lesson to be learned is that they still have feelings, and don't deserve to be treated with cruelty. Apparently some of the people who tried to lend a helping hand were surprised that he didn't have the perfect home life and role models. They are now bitter, and feel duped, but they need to get over it. The worse the kid's role models are in everyday life, the more he needs help from people who were touched by his pain.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• This...is something else:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c68d8cac59aa
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Has anyone come across kialo.com? I like the graphic representation of arguments and discussion branches. Some of the topics are laughably simple (should abortion be legal? Does god exist?). But others are better, such as universal basic income and net neutrality.
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          Has anyone come across kialo.com? I like the graphic representation of arguments and discussion branches. Some of the topics are laughably simple (should abortion be legal? Does god exist?). But others are better, such as universal basic income and net neutrality.
                          Interesting site. Sort of like ted.com, but you have to read it. That site looks to be worth exploring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Has anyone come across kialo.com? I like the graphic representation of arguments and discussion branches. Some of the topics are laughably simple (should abortion be legal? Does god exist?). But others are better, such as universal basic income and net neutrality.
                            I think I may use that in my Breaking Bad class this semester. Not sure how yet, but it's on my shower-thoughts agenda.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• http://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/0...nt-judge-says/
                              Kind of cool 4th amendment story out of Idaho, but the winning quote came from the comments.

"I hear the Tabernacle Choir does a lovely cover of 'F the police' by NWA..."

Maybe I'll put it in the suggestion box . . . nah.
                              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Probably because I'm a simpleton, I've always been fascinated with D.B. Cooper. It is looking like they have maybe figured out who he is and that he was involved with the CIA.

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenew...s-12543305.php
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X