Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Really? I thought there was a signal fade a few years ago... I guess that's a analog signal.... so digital signals are still in vogue? How many stations do you get with a digital signal?
    You need to catch up. It's not digital, it's HD. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, BYUtv in HD. Congrats on your 25 years...you're probably still listening to disco.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
      You need to catch up. It's not digital, it's HD. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, BYUtv in HD. Congrats on your 25 years...you're probably still listening to disco.
      What would be cool is an antenna that gets channels from another dimension...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        It depends for some reason on the location of the TV/computer in the house. In my study I get 112 mbps. Upstairs, the apple tv only gets 92mbps. It's likely due to the longer cable that runs upstairs. But either speeds are good enough.

I've now got all connection points wired with RJ45 connectors and cat cables. I've got a free trial to Sling and Hulu. Both seem to work flawlessly, although the channel order in Sling will take some getting used to. In all, I'll be paying around $50/month although I could go cheaper if I wanted but I want Fox Sports and a couple other channels. I'm currently paying $125 with Dish, so there is some savings.

My next buy will have to be an OTA antenna. I haven't even starting looking for one. Any thoughts there?
        Solid Signal typically has good pricing on outdoor/attic antennas:

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/catego...&d=TV-Antennas

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
        What do you use for DVR when cutting the cord? I know there are options out there, but I haven't seen any in action in person. Of course, I still grumble over the Time Warner DVR and how poorly it compares to my 13-year old Tivo.
        Here's an option (on sale):

http://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Plu...cm-7500tb1.htm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Tablo 4-tuner DVR for $250 but requires an external hard drive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXUDD0O...ding=UTF8&th=1

I like this because it has a Roku app so I have a single Roku device connected to each TV that serves up:

OTA channels that I DVRed
          BYUTV
          Vue - For the sports. This is the only viable BYU/college sports solution for cord-cutters, in my opinion. Sling just doesn't get it done.
          Amazon Video - Comes with our prime membership
          Plex - for home movies, movies I bought, pictures, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            Tablo 4-tuner DVR for $250 but requires an external hard drive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXUDD0O...ding=UTF8&th=1

I like this because it has a Roku app so I have a single Roku device connected to each TV that serves up:

OTA channels that I DVRed
            BYUTV
            Vue - For the sports. This is the only viable BYU/college sports solution for cord-cutters, in my opinion. Sling just doesn't get it done.
            Amazon Video - Comes with our prime membership
            Plex - for home movies, movies I bought, pictures, etc.
            One advantage of Tablo over the Channel Master is that the recordings are accessible on any connected device. The Channel Master is only intended to connect to a single display.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

With Tablo, there is a $5/month fee for the guide subscription that I don't think you have with Channel Master. I think that is cheaper than TiVo though.
              https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-produc...-subscription/

While you don't need to pay for the guide, you can't "Record by Series" without it, which to me is the biggest feature of a dvr.

Comment

Alright, here's a brief synopsis of my journey in cutting the cord:

I was paying $130/month for Dish Network service. I didn't want to sign another long term contract and I also like the obscure sports channels since that is where cycling/triathlons are broadcast, so I have a big package with some sports channels added on. I could have gotten it back down to around $80/month if I signed up for 2 more years, but I really wanted to get something else. We get like 400 channels and only really watch 10 in total (ESPN/FS1 channels, Cartoons, HGTV, Food, and local channels, plus some others here and there for sports).

Our home had CAT5 wiring in place in the places where I wanted the internet to run (two computers and two TVs, so four different rooms). I could have used wifi but like I've read everywhere else, I wanted dedicated hardwired lines for video streaming so the wifi would be freed up for phones or other gadgets. There are two cables to each of these rooms, one for phone and one for internet. However, the internet lines were screwed up in how they were wired so I had to redo the connections in the rooms. Then I had to put on RJ45 connectors in the media box, which is in my master closet. That took some time to figure out but thankfully I have a guy in my ward that does this stuff at his work and he guided me through it. Once I was all wired up I was ready to go. I did test my speed and get around 100mbps in the rooms. Some got 110mbps and some got 90mbps, but that's good enough.

I had one new Apple TV but bought another one to replace the older models. I love the new Apple TV and I'm sure Roku would be just as good, but seriously the interface and design is awesome. On my newest TV I can control everything with just the Apple TV remote. It turns the TV on/off, switches the input, controls the volume on the ZVOX.

I first signed up for Hulu. We don't watch much in the way of network shows, but my kids watch a number of shows/cartoons that Hulu provides and at $8/month why not? My kids are now making their way through episodes of the Brady Bunch. I plan on keeping Hulu for the time being. If the kids get bored of it I might cancel. MJ still uses the Netflix DVD service. I'm trying to convince her to drop it and go to the streaming but she's not interested

We then signed up for Sling. It was easy enough to do and liked the picture and service. It's user friendly enough that my kids can use it without issue. It doens't have CBS or a DVR function (for most channels), which I knew was going to be a problem.

To circumvent that problem, I got an OTA antenna to put in my attic and a Tablo to connect it to so I could have a guide and DVR functions. It seemed like a good plan and I got everything in stalled, but I could get some VHF channels (CBS/ABC). I tried everything from repositioning the antenna, moving to downstairs by a window, moving it outside, using several different models of preamplifiers. I even borrowed the antenna of a friend that got those channels at his house (he's 2 miles away) and I still couldn't get them although I did get a couple extra channels using his antenna. Ultimately I decided I was in a dead zone for those channels and would likely never get them. That's an issue especially with bowl games coming up and March Madness. Sure I get ABC on Sling, but the lack of a DVR function isn't very palpable.

I was almost ready to give up and go back to Dish when I remembered hearing about Playstation Vue. Thankfully Vue was just released on Apple TV. I signed up last night and realized this was the solution all along. The interface is better than Sling and navigating around and changing channels is much quicker. The DVR function also works very well including pausing live TV. It also gets CBS although some shows are apparently blocked from streaming but I don't watch those anyway.

I'm sending back the Tablo ($250) and Antenna ($130) this week for a refund. Hulu/Vue costs around $45/month for the package we ordered, which saves me around $85/month in costs and I get everything I want. Coupled with Plex, VidAngel, and Hulu I'm in streaming heaven...plus I can watch all that stuff remotely as well, which is cool.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That's exactly what I'm running plus I have HBO now. You can also download Fox Sports and watch Fox NFL games live.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    That's exactly what I'm running plus I have HBO now. You can also download Fox Sports and watch Fox NFL games live.
                    Same with CBSsports and NBCsports apps. You can already stream all the ABC sorts content through watchESPN.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Same with CBSsports and NBCsports apps. You can already stream all the ABC sorts content through watchESPN.
                      Don't you need a cable/satellite subscription to use watch ESPN?

Comment

Don't you need a cable/satellite subscription to use watch ESPN?

Your PS Vue subscription counts for all of those apps I mentioned. Sling counts at least for ESPN. I never tried it for the others.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Your PS Vue subscription counts for all of those apps I mentioned. Sling counts at least for ESPN. I never tried it for the others.
                          Seems kind of unnecessary since I can just watch Vue on my phone. Maybe it's good for the games that are only on espn3, but those are usually the really bad games.

Comment

Seems kind of unnecessary since I can just watch Vue on my phone. Maybe it's good for the games that are only on espn3, but those are usually the really bad games.

PS Vue is location locked, so you can't watch it outside of your house. At least on the TV. I.e., you can't download the app at your parents' house and watch it there.

I use watchESPN when I'm at work, or when other people are on the big TV (you can't use PS Vue on your computer) and I don't want to watch on my phone or tablet.

Regardless, the real value for me is in sporting events that are on the broadcast channels. I don't have an antenna and I don't want one. The only reason I want locals is to watch football on Sunday. PS Vue gets you access to NBCsports, CBSsports and watchESPN, which has any games that are on ABC.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I can watch Vue on my computer

Comment

I can watch Vue on my computer

Looks like they have only recently added that feature. When I signed up in September, you could not watch it on the web. So that's nice.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X