Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I have an indoor antenna propped up on a step ladder outside on a corner of my house that no one can see. I haven't gotten around to putting something on my roof that's more permanent.

It works fine, the wind can blow it down into the dirt and I still pick up all the channels except the Fox affiliate. The antenna sucked when it was actually inside, outside it works great.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Depends on how a lot of factors: how far you are from the transmitters, line of sight, etc. Of course, in your area you have all those damn trees.

Take a look at http://antennaweb.org and http://www.tvfool.com

Also, http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-...-hd-1569752514

The electrical engineer in me likes the Yagi UHF style of antenna but your wife my not like that thing on your roof.
      My antenna will go in my attic. I've got a ton of room in there and I'm sure my HOA would get mad at anything on my roof. I've found some really ugly ones that are huge (like 4 feet wide) but it doesn't really matter when it sits in a place that no one but the AC guy sees. I've also learned through your links that I can get not only the Houston channels, but I will likely also get some channels from College Station
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        That's my reaction to your logic of buying a TV without a tuner just to save a $100 on a PoS black friday Vizio.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Btw Moliere, I assume you're not an idiot and think that I'm suggesting to set up an antenna on a step ladder as a long term solution. Just wanted to get that out there.

For the dummies that can't read in between the lines, it seems like any configuration in the Houston area will work if my lazy solution that I came up with a few weeks ago can work.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I've had a TV antenna in the rafters of my garage for years. Works great.

Comment

What do you use for DVR when cutting the cord? I know there are options out there, but I haven't seen any in action in person. Of course, I still grumble over the Time Warner DVR and how poorly it compares to my 13-year old Tivo.
              I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

I've like tablotv so far. It's UI is a little clunky, but it works. I don't use it for live tv because of the UI. I think I've heard that TiVo is planning on releasing a competing service.
                Last edited by beefytee; 11-19-2016, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  That's my reaction to your logic of buying a TV without a tuner just to save a $100 on a PoS black friday Vizio.
                  bro nobody gives a shit about tuners that isn't in serious poverty. and who bought a vizio tv? and what would be wrong with that? keep adjusting the rabbit ears so there isn't too much static on your bob ross reruns.

Comment

bro nobody gives a shit about tuners that isn't in serious poverty. and who bought a vizio tv? and what would be wrong with that? keep adjusting the rabbit ears so there isn't too much static on your bob ross reruns.
                    You clearly don't give a shit about punctuation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      You clearly don't give a shit about punctuation.
                      if you even had any idea how dumb you are

Comment

if you even had any idea how dumb you are

Comment

I know this thread is about cutting the cord... but TV attenaes? Attnenas have been passe' so long that my spell check doesn't even know how to spell antena.

I've been proudly corded for 25 years.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

More like, what's old is new again. With the digital signal, antennas are great. Better picture than cable or satellite. No rabbit ear adjustments required.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              More like, what's old is new again. With the digital signal, antennas are great. Better picture than cable or satellite. No rabbit ear adjustments required.
                              Really? I thought there was a signal fade a few years ago... I guess that's a analog signal.... so digital signals are still in vogue? How many stations do you get with a digital signal?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                Really? I thought there was a signal fade a few years ago... I guess that's a analog signal.... so digital signals are still in vogue? How many stations do you get with a digital signal?

Around 40 stations with about 15 which are watchable (I.e. In English and not shopping or religious channels).

http://mrantenna.com/saltlakecity/salt-lake-channels/

Comment

Working...
                                X