The Atheism Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The notion of not being rude and encroaching on what other people find edifying and enjoyable has given way to these peoples' narcissism. I can't comprehend getting up and lecturing people in Sacrament Meeting about the fact you like dudes and how there is anal, oral and sex involving butt plugs and dildos that the poor rubes out in the audience can scarcely imagine.
    Are we just going to skip over this as if this didn’t just happen?

Maybe I need to go back and read this thread in it’s entirety.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
      Are we just going to skip over this as if this didn’t just happen?

Maybe I need to go back and read this thread in it’s entirety.
      You don't even have an inckling [sic] of what you are missing ...
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
        You don't even have an inckling [sic] of what you are missing ...
        Once you realize the grand experience includes Cats of Nine Tails, a midget and sticking things in your butthole then it kind of loses its allure. They're trying their hardest to make sure people attending the ward for their big announcements are fully aware of those incklings. Including people like my grandmother, who prior to her death 4 years ago at the age of 98, expected church to be one of the highlights or her week other than visits from family and going to lunch once a week with her ever dwindling number of friends. There are people like this in every ward. These public pronouncements are an imposition, thankfully they're few and far between. It makes me think of one of the great Onion pieces ever.

https://www.theonion.com/gay-pride-p...bac-1819566014
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Once you realize the grand experience includes Cats of Nine Tails, a midget and sticking things in your butthole then it kind of loses its allure. They're trying their hardest to make sure people attending the ward for their big announcements are fully aware of those incklings. Including people like my grandmother, who prior to her death 4 years ago at the age of 98, expected church to be one of the highlights or her week other than visits from family and going to lunch once a week with her ever dwindling number of friends. There are people like this in every ward. These public pronouncements are an imposition, thankfully they're few and far between. It makes me think of one of the great Onion pieces ever.

https://www.theonion.com/gay-pride-p...bac-1819566014
          I also think it is kind of an imposition to spend millions of dollars advocating for restricting the rights of groups of people based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Er, what? Lol!
            It was compassionate service.

An LDS person who goes against the LDS teachings to be shitty to LGBTQ people decided to do something nice for them. She solicited donations from other LDS people who don't like being shitty to LGBTQ people to pay for pizza. She then sent pizzas to 50 people that she knew that were affected by the LDS church being shitty to them.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              It was compassionate service.

An LDS person who goes against the LDS teachings to be shitty to LGBTQ people decided to do something nice for them. She solicited donations from other LDS people who don't like being shitty to LGBTQ people to pay for pizza. She then sent pizzas to 50 people that she knew that were affected by the LDS church being shitty to them.
              Yeah, I got what the pizzas were meant to accomplish. I just lol'd at the fact that someone sat down and thought "what can we do for these poor people who are being marginalized by their faith, and in some cases rejected by their family and friends, solely because of their innate sexual orientation...?

I know: Pizza."
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Yeah, I got what the pizzas were meant to accomplish. I just lol'd at the fact that someone sat down and thought "what can we do for these poor people who are being marginalized by their faith, and in some cases rejected by their family and friends, solely because of their innate sexual orientation...?

Well at least we can agree they are being "marginalized by their faith" and that some are "rejected by their family and friends." The person who organized this has done a lot more than this for the LGBTQ community. It was kind of a last minute gesture for people that she knew were hurting on that day in particular.

For all the things that LDS church gets wrong, the one thing that they do get right is rallying around people with simple gestures like a meal. It was just a simple gesture to help people.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• While I think the gesture was a good one and not deserving of serious criticism, Falafel's response was definitely a chuckler.

Originally posted by falafel View Post

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    While I think the gesture was a good one and not deserving of serious criticism, Falafel's response was definitely a chuckler.
                    It’s almost like they purposely avoided actually making a meal and delivering it because that is too Mormon. Thus, pizza. Nice gesture though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      It’s almost like they purposely avoided actually making a meal and delivering it because that is too Mormon. Thus, pizza. Nice gesture though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Where was the green jello?!
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Crazy thread.

I’m a few years removed now and despite a growing disparity in shared beliefs with the The Church, I just do not understand this behavior. We get it, you don’t like anything about the organization. MOVE ON. You’re not fooling anyone. You want to help? Start a macrame club.
                        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Ahem...

https://religionnews.com/2018/04/16/...t-allegations/

American Atheists, one of the most combative organizations dedicated to the promotion of secularism, has terminated its highly visible president, David Silverman, over allegations of financial and sexual misconduct.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Are you saying that Atheist's are more moral than the LDS Church because they terminate people over sexual misconduct?

Your "Ahem" was ambiguous.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              Are you saying that Atheist's are more moral than the LDS Church because they terminate people over sexual misconduct?

Your "Ahem" was ambiguous.
                              Atheist's what?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Atheist's what?
                                in another dimension an apostrophe is proper grammar for plural
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X