Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Why on earth are we talking about Nebraska again?
    I'll sum it up for you. Because Scott Frost is now the UCF HC in preparation for becoming the future HC at Nebraska. In the meantime, he will strengthen his Florida recruiting skills but not enough to add scores (40+) to Nebraska's future football roster. And none of those future Florida HS football players will be better than Taysom Hill as a college Sophomore because they are not actually from Texas.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      I'll sum it up for you. Because Scott Frost is now the UCF HC in preparation for becoming the future HC at Nebraska. In the meantime, he will strengthen his Florida recruiting skills but not enough to add scores (40+) to Nebraska's future football roster. And none of those future Florida HS football players will be better than Taysom Hill as a college Sophomore because they are not actually from Texas.
      this is my understanding, as well.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Nebraska was pulling guys from everywhere back in the 90s. Tom Osborne was the coach and there was a vacuum at Oklahoma, Missouri sucked and the Texas schools were still languishing in the SWC. Missouri has been putting some good players in the NFL for awhile now. Guys like Justin Smith and Sheldon Richardson used to go to Nebraska -- like Mike Rucker and Grant Wistrom.

There was always hope for Oklahoma to turn things around because of their proximity to Texas and the fact the state is over twice as big as Nebraska. I'm not sure how Nebraska turns things around at this point.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Nebraska was pulling guys from everywhere back in the 90s. Tom Osborne was the coach and there was a vacuum at Oklahoma, Missouri sucked and the Texas schools were still languishing in the SWC. Missouri has been putting some good players in the NFL for awhile now. Guys like Justin Smith and Sheldon Richardson used to go to Nebraska -- like Mike Rucker and Grant Wistrom.

There was always hope for Oklahoma to turn things around because of their proximity to Texas and the fact the state is over twice as big as Nebraska. I'm not sure how Nebraska turns things around at this point.
          Oh, brother. Nebraska has a comination of history, fan support, and facilities to rival almost any school. Yeah Lincoln is not glamorous and never will be but all it takes is the right coach to be able get the talent to come and put it together on the field. You could have said "I don't know how Michigan turns it around at this point" a few years back. We'll they got their coach and now things are going to be fine.

And to say Osborne dominated the 90s because the Big 8 was down is dumb. Snyder had already built his program at that point and Colorado was a perennial top 10 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            Oh, brother. Nebraska has a comination of history, fan support, and facilities to rival almost any school. Yeah Lincoln is not glamorous and never will be but all it takes is the right coach to be able get the talent to come and put it together on the field. You could have said "I don't know how Michigan turns it around at this point" a few years back. We'll they got their coach and now things are going to be fine.

And to say Osborne dominated the 90s because the Big 8 was down is dumb. Snyder had already built his program at that point and Colorado was a perennial top 10 team.
            And here is the problem. Since Osborne has left you have had what like 4 coaching hires? All of those have been whiffs and why haven't they landed a big time coach in all those years? If I were a coach I wouldn't really want to coach at Nebraska either because it might be the one place where history is more of a burden than a help. The fans expectations are not in line with reality and because of the geography recruiting is difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
              And here is the problem. Since Osborne has left you have had what like 4 coaching hires? All of those have been whiffs and why haven't they landed a big time coach in all those years? If I were a coach I wouldn't really want to coach at Nebraska either because it might be the one place where history is more of a burden than a help. The fans expectations are not in line with reality and because of the geography recruiting is difficult.
              I said the "right" coach. Why does it have to be a big name? I agree that Nebraska is unlikely to get a Chip Kelly anytime soon. But a Nebraska guy who turns out to be a great coach coming home again is completely possible. That's where this discussion started: with Scott Frost.

We're still talking about Nebraska!

Edit: and I think the geography argument is bunk. Leach recruited guys to Lubbock and now Pullman. Snyder gets guys to come to Manhattan, KS. And what's so great about Columbus, OH? Yeah having your school in Florida or SoCal is a huge advantage but ultimately kids are going to go with the coach who they trust the most and think can help their football career the most.
              Last edited by Omaha 680; 12-01-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

This board is overdue for a name change: cornhuskerstadium.com is available (presumably)

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                  This board is overdue for a name change: cornhuskerstadium.com is available (presumably)
                  They haven't been competitive enough against BYU for us to consider them our rival.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    I said the "right" coach. Why does it have to be a big name? I agree that Nebraska is unlikely to get a Chip Kelly anytime soon. But a Nebraska guy who turns out to be a great coach coming home again is completely possible. That's where this discussion started: with Scott Frost.

We're still talking about Nebraska!

Edit: and I think the geography argument is bunk. Leach recruited guys to Lubbock and now Pullman. Snyder gets guys to come to Manhattan, KS. And what's so great about Columbus, OH? Yeah having your school in Florida or SoCal is a huge advantage but ultimately kids are going to go with the coach who they trust the most and think can help their football career the most.
                    Correct the "right" coach along with a talented QB. Tom Osborne was not a "big time" coach when he was hired at Nebraska. Prior to that he was passed over by Texas Tech when they were not a good football team. Scott Frost could well be Nebraska football's savior.

I state this as the wind blows Nebraska's football ashes all over the Dude's sunglasses while giving a eulogy about the death of Nebraska football...

Nebraska was a good football team, and a national power. They were...They were one of us. Nebraska fans loved football, and bowling, and as a football team recruited the beaches of southern California from Redondo to Calabassos. And they were avid fans and bowlers. And a good friend. Nebraska football died -- it died as so many of our generation, before their time. In your wisdom you took it, Lord. As you took so many bright flowering young men, at Khe San and Lan Doc and HILL 364! These young men gave their lives. And Nebraska football too. The Cornhuskers...who...who loved football and bowling. And so, Nebraska Cornhusker Football, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which they loved so well. Goodnight, sweet prince.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

It would actually need to be memorialstadium.com

Wouldn't expect you to know that because Utah has never played (or beaten) Nebraska. snap!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

No kidding. At least dabrockster shows us the courtesy of keeping his Ohio State crap in a dedicated thread.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          It would actually need to be memorialstadium.com

Wouldn't expect you to know that because Utah has never played (or beaten) Nebraska. snap!
                          I knew there was some boring (of course) name, but I was too lazy to google.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            You're correct about the second part. Nebraska has played Utah four times and opened the season against the Utes in 1980 and 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                              You're correct about the second part. Nebraska has played Utah four times and opened the season against the Utes in 1980 and 1992.
                              Nebraska is so boring that everyone forgot about those games.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I knew there was some boring (of course) name, but I was too lazy to google.
                                Hah....leave it to a Ute to call recognizing our fallen war heros by naming a stadium in their honor "boring".

Comment

Working...
                                X