No announcement yet.

Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelled cable today. Taking the set top boxes in.

This feels quite liberating considering how much I hate satellite/cable companies. Adios, suckers.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Cancelled cable today. Taking the set top boxes in.

This feels quite liberating considering how much I hate satellite/cable companies. Adios, suckers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Hmm... that is nice. Is that some kind of app in the Samsung smart tv? Couldn't you just split antenna wire and run the antenna signal into the HD tuner of the Samsung TV as well?
        It didn't show up in the list of apps, but in the list of input sources.

No need to split the signal. The whole point of the HDHomeRun device is that it broadcasts your TV signal over your home network. That is how it is captured by Plex.

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        I suspect there would be a load on the HDHomeRun, not to mention your network, if it was feeding both the Plex server and the TV (e.g., if you were recording BYU TV and watching another stream on the TV). If you had coax splitter and feed the signal to your TVs then HDHomeRun would only be feeding one stream on your network, just to the plex server.

BTW, I assume that your plex server transcodes MPEG2 [video encoding of HDTV] to MPEG4 when you are DVR'ing something. How's the load on your Mac Mini when it does this?
        Can't detect any problems yet.

I really like this set up. I just pulled up plex on a web browser at work and with a few clicks set the Plex DVR to record all future BYU sporting events on BYUTV. I can also stream signals from my home server to here. Pretty slick.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

It didn't show up in the list of apps, but in the list of input sources.

No need to split the signal. The whole point of the HDHomeRun device is that it broadcasts your TV signal over your home network. That is how it is captured by Plex.
          Wow... well integrated. Nice.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Can't detect any problems yet.

I really like this set up. I just pulled up plex on a web browser at work and with a few clicks set the Plex DVR to record all future BYU sporting events on BYUTV. I can also stream signals from my home server to here. Pretty slick.
          I assume you can also download recordings to your device for offline viewing. I love that feature about plex when I am going to be jumping on a plane or something.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Starting to have some issues with my Plex system. The Samsung app is super buggy. Constantly hangs. Also, the DVR doesn't record all the stuff it is scheduled to record.

While I tinker with it, I have ordered a Tablo. Going to try both systems and return one of them.

Comment

Starting to have some issues with my Plex system. The Samsung app is super buggy. Constantly hangs. Also, the DVR doesn't record all the stuff it is scheduled to record.

While I tinker with it, I have ordered a Tablo. Going to try both systems and return one of them.
              Did you order the 2-tuner or the 4-tuner model? Right now you can get the 4-tuner model with free program guide for the first year.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Did you order the 2-tuner or the 4-tuner model? Right now you can get the 4-tuner model with free program guide for the first year.
                Dual 64. I don't see myself every recording more than one thing at a time. I have YoutubeTV for most of the channels I want.

Comment

• I've had zero problems with my Tablo. It just works.

4 tuners!

Comment

• Update:

Tablo is definitely better/easier than Plex. My two-tuner Tablo works fine, except that I am having to fiddle with the digital antenna location for the best BYUTV reception.

The Samsung TV Tablo interface is terribly buggy. And the DVR playback sucks.

The Samsung TV Youtube TV interface seems to be the same as AppleTV and Roku (I have tested everything), but it is buggy. For example, it forgets your location on a program and often kicks you back to the beginning of the program when you try to resume. I tried AppleTV but the FF/RW feature with the Apple TV remove sucks.

In the end I purchased a new 4K Roku Ultra. All the apps work perfectly and Roku remote that comes with this model has a power button and volume buttons for the TV. So I can still use one remote (I can also control the Roku with my Samsung remote if I want), so I am a happy camper now. Tablo/YTTV/Roku FTW.

Comment

• Tablo + Roku is great.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Update:

Tablo is definitely better/easier than Plex. My two-tuner Tablo works fine, except that I am having to fiddle with the digital antenna location for the best BYUTV reception.

The Samsung TV Youtube TV interface seems to be the same as AppleTV and Roku (I have tested everything), but it is buggy. For example, it forgets your location on a program and often kicks you back to the beginning of the program when you try to resume. I tried AppleTV but the FF/RW feature with the Apple TV remove sucks.

In the end I purchased a new 4K Roku Ultra. All the apps work perfectly and Roku remote that comes with this model has a power button and volume buttons for the TV. So I can still use one remote (I can also control the Roku with my Samsung remote if I want), so I am a happy camper now. Tablo/YTTV/Roku FTW.
                        Does the Roku have bluetooth headphone connectivity? That has been a big failure of previous Roku units. I liked the headphone jack on the remote until I got a good set of bluetooth headphones. Now it is not nearly enough.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Does the Roku have bluetooth headphone connectivity? That has been a big failure of previous Roku units. I liked the headphone jack on the remote until I got a good set of bluetooth headphones. Now it is not nearly enough.
                          Sounds like you just need to fire up the Roku app on your phone and use that to stream wirelessly to your bluetooth device.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-pr...ews-27049.html

Comment

Update:

I used one of those HDTV antenna direction finder websites and put in my address. It spit out the direction to Farnsworth Peak in number of degrees (every signal in the SL Valley comes from Farnsworth Peak). I went up in the attic and used my iPhone compass app on top of my antenna to rotate my antenna to the right direction in degrees. It worked like a charm. I never had to adjust it after the first time I set it.

Tablo/<streaming service du jour>/Roku is definitely my favorite combination. I also use the Plex Roku app so I play my home movies as well as movies I've ripped off the Roku. My next project is to hook up my door camera to the Roku via an App that can change the default Roku screen saver to show my door camera. Should be fun.

One tip for those on some of the older Roku devices: If your Roku comes with a microSD slot, put a microSD card in there and you will find that the Roku is much quicker about switching between apps ("channels") or loading apps.

Comment

• Roku Trivia: The kids and I have fun seeing who can spot the most interesting things in the Roku skyline.

The old silhouette skyline had Mary Poppins and King Kong and SpiderMan.

The new one has interesting things in the windows of the houses along the street, as well as a pair of eyes looking out of the garbage can lids.

Comment

Sounds like you just need to fire up the Roku app on your phone and use that to stream wirelessly to your bluetooth device.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-pr...ews-27049.html
                                Oh cool. They disabled that feature a while back, but I hadn't checked in on it to see if it was back. I'll have to see if its running on my older Roku.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X