The 2017-2018 BYU Football Coaching Turnover Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2017-2018 BYU Football Coaching Turnover Poll

Based on your best guess, which coaches will not be returning to coach at BYU next year. Vote for those you think will be gone.

Note, if it's a coordinator that you think will be demoted, that doesn't count. So if you think that Ty stays, but only as a QB coach, he doesn't get a vote.
    Kalani Sitake
    1.64%
    Ty Detmer
    16.39%
    Ilaisa Tuiaki
    3.28%
    Ed Lamb
    1.64%
    Ben Cahoon
    34.43%
    Steve Kaufusi
    9.84%
    Mike Empey
    0.00%
    Jenaro Gilford
    4.92%
    Steve Clark
    4.92%
    Reno Mahe
    22.95%

The poll is expired.

no way they fire ty
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I don't know how Ben survives. Reno had a lot of injuries and not much talent to deal with. Maybe Tuiaki goes.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

The poll is broken. I can't vote to "retain the bunch of them."

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          The poll is broken. I can't vote to "retain the bunch of them."
          Yes, the same way that the site is broken in that it still allows you to post here.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            no way they fire ty
            Pretty sad if true.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              no way they fire ty
              BYU can't fire their Heisman winning QB and if they do they better have some made up job in the athletic department like special council to the BOT on sports to move him into.

Comment

They better fire or demote Ty or Kalani is going to find himself as a former head coach this time next year.
                Last edited by New Mexican Disaster; 11-22-2017, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  Pretty sad if true.
                  KS will be fired and Ty will get KS's job.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    KS will be fired and Ty will get KS's job.
                    Haha imagine that. That'd be insane

Comment

Kalani Sitake
                      Why he should stay:

Recruiting is his (alleged) strength. That takes time. We saw what his team was able to do last year with strong senior leadership, and that’s go 8-4 with all four losses extremely close. To a large degree, he inherited a program with some major challenges (scholarship crunch, fewer offensive playmakers, difficult schedules) and two years isn’t enough to fairly evaluate. Strong tie with Coach Edwards - desperately wants to carry on his legacy. He’s passionate. He bleeds BYU. He also appears to be well liked by the players (maybe to a fault).

Why he should go:
                      BYU should never lose to schools like UMass at home. There appears to be a lack of accountability with issues from a lot of players. Recruiting hasn’t hit the ceiling we all hoped/thought it would. The way he’s thrown the offense under the bus in press conferences while seemingly given the defense a pass hasn’t made the team any better.

What I think should happen:
                      He’s given one more season in Provo for sure, but needs to show improvement in multiple areas. This probably means some turnover in staff away from “friendlies” to bring in varying points of view. He needs to cool it on throwing the offense under the bus though.

What I think will happen:
                      I think what should happen will happen and Kalani gets next year to show progress.

Comment

Ty Detmer
                        Why he should stay:

Lots of injuries on the offensive side of the ball. Lack of consistency on a roster that was already low on playmakers is tough to succeed. There have been times where it appears the biggest issue isn’t scheme but execution. He’s in the holy trinity of BYU QBs with McMahon and Young and might deserve a longer leash than your typical OC.

Why he should go:
                        Worst. BYU Offense. Ever. We lack an offensive identity - what do we do that teams have to commit to stopping? I honestly can’t think of anything. He hasn’t been able to get the most out of a physically talented Tanner Mangum. Play calling at times has been suspect, abandoning the run with inexperienced QBs throwing the ball. The QB situation with redshirts and who is starting has been a bit of a joke. A huge part of that is injuries, but that’s only a part of it.

If it wasn’t Ty Detmer (or maybe Steve Young) I think we’d be looking at changing offensive coordinators this year without question. So I think the “should happen” is make a change. The caveat here is I think if they feel Ty has recruiting value and has grown enough, I could give him a pass if he either focuses on being the OC but moves to the booth, or gives up a lot of responsibilities and focuses on just being the QB coach.

I think there is a 60% chance Ty is back next year as the OC, mostly because of who he is and what he means to the school. I do think that if he does stay, he’s getting help in likely with someone else serving as Co-OC who is in the booth.

Comment

Ilaisa Tuiaki
                          Why he should stay:

Kalani thinks highly enough of him that he brought him with him from Oregon State. Our DL play has been fine - not outstanding, but definitely not the worst part of the defense. Defensively, we’ve been less bad than the offense, and in total fairness, the defense has been asked to do a lot/stay on the field a lot.

Why he should go:
                          Where offense, I think there are a lot of issues at play (injuries, talent, scheme, execution) I think defensively we’ve dramatically underperformed what we should be. Fred Warner is uber talented and I don’t feel like we’ve unleashed him and taken advantage of his abilities. The game plan and defense seems very vanilla and you have eleven guys playing as eleven guys defensively and not playing together as a unit.

I feel like we haven't played to our talent level this year, and I think last year we benefitted from the habits and efforts they learned under Bronco. I think a change at defensive coordinator would be a good thing for BYU.

I think he stays in the same role next year. I do think his leash is short and that Kalani is going to spend more time focused on the defensive side of the ball next year than he did this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                            Kalani Sitake
                            Why he should stay:

Recruiting is his (alleged) strength. That takes time. We saw what his team was able to do last year with strong senior leadership, and that’s go 8-4 with all four losses extremely close. To a large degree, he inherited a program with some major challenges (scholarship crunch, fewer offensive playmakers, difficult schedules) and two years isn’t enough to fairly evaluate. Strong tie with Coach Edwards - desperately wants to carry on his legacy. He’s passionate. He bleeds BYU. He also appears to be well liked by the players (maybe to a fault).

Why he should go:
                            BYU should never lose to schools like UMass at home. There appears to be a lack of accountability with issues from a lot of players. Recruiting hasn’t hit the ceiling we all hoped/thought it would. The way he’s thrown the offense under the bus in press conferences while seemingly given the defense a pass hasn’t made the team any better.

He’s given one more season in Provo for sure, but needs to show improvement in multiple areas. This probably means some turnover in staff away from “friendlies” to bring in varying points of view. He needs to cool it on throwing the offense under the bus though.

I think what should happen will happen and Kalani gets next year to show progress.
                            Ty Detmer
                            Why he should stay:

Lots of injuries on the offensive side of the ball. Lack of consistency on a roster that was already low on playmakers is tough to succeed. There have been times where it appears the biggest issue isn’t scheme but execution. He’s in the holy trinity of BYU QBs with McMahon and Young and might deserve a longer leash than your typical OC.

Why he should go:
                            Worst. BYU Offense. Ever. We lack an offensive identity - what do we do that teams have to commit to stopping? I honestly can’t think of anything. He hasn’t been able to get the most out of a physically talented Tanner Mangum. Play calling at times has been suspect, abandoning the run with inexperienced QBs throwing the ball. The QB situation with redshirts and who is starting has been a bit of a joke. A huge part of that is injuries, but that’s only a part of it.

If it wasn’t Ty Detmer (or maybe Steve Young) I think we’d be looking at changing offensive coordinators this year without question. So I think the “should happen” is make a change. The caveat here is I think if they feel Ty has recruiting value and has grown enough, I could give him a pass if he either focuses on being the OC but moves to the booth, or gives up a lot of responsibilities and focuses on just being the QB coach.

I think there is a 60% chance Ty is back next year as the OC, mostly because of who he is and what he means to the school. I do think that if he does stay, he’s getting help in likely with someone else serving as Co-OC who is in the booth.
                            Ilaisa Tuiaki
                            Why he should stay:

Kalani thinks highly enough of him that he brought him with him from Oregon State. Our DL play has been fine - not outstanding, but definitely not the worst part of the defense. Defensively, we’ve been less bad than the offense, and in total fairness, the defense has been asked to do a lot/stay on the field a lot.

Why he should go:
                            Where offense, I think there are a lot of issues at play (injuries, talent, scheme, execution) I think defensively we’ve dramatically underperformed what we should be. Fred Warner is uber talented and I don’t feel like we’ve unleashed him and taken advantage of his abilities. The game plan and defense seems very vanilla and you have eleven guys playing as eleven guys defensively and not playing together as a unit.

I feel like we haven't played to our talent level this year, and I think last year we benefitted from the habits and efforts they learned under Bronco. I think a change at defensive coordinator would be a good thing for BYU.

I think he stays in the same role next year. I do think his leash is short and that Kalani is going to spend more time focused on the defensive side of the ball next year than he did this year.
                            tbh sizzle is the only poster on this fair chat blog with takes worth reading
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Ed Lamb
                              Why he should stay:

Has head coaching experience turning around the SUU program. As a non-LDS, BYU grad, he understands and can communicate with kids. Has a strong reputation of being a good recruiter and able to identify and develop talent. Buzz before the season had some worried about him leaving for a head gig.

Why he should go:
                              Special teams has dramatically underperformed in the kicking game and return game (maybe this is lack of talent). Safeties really haven’t been very good this year (though in fairness, last year Kai was really a difference maker). Haven’t seen many diamonds really develop. Why hasn’t his head coaching experience turning SUU around had an impact at BYU?

I like Lamb’s pedigree a lot, having worked with Tom Cable and Jim Harbaugh, and having been given credit for finding/developing quite a few players at SUU. He was one of Kalani’s first hires, so I’m inclined to say “give him one more” with the rest of the staff and let them prove it out.

I think he’ll be back next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X