The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
    I have. Many times. I have used different thermostats and in different places. I also cooked the short ribs in the exact amount of time as expected. I’m up to172 and 170. Progress.
    I have cooked butts countless times. Never gone over 12 hours.

Do you foil?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I have cooked butts countless times. Never gone over 12 hours.

Do you foil?
      i don’t until 195 plus. I’ve had shoulders go 18 hours or so before. This was the worst. I finally pulled them off the smoker, foiled and put in the oven for the night. I figure this a smoker version of sous vide. So frustrating.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
        i don’t until 195 plus. I’ve had shoulders go 18 hours or so before. This was the worst. I finally pulled them off the smoker, foiled and put in the oven for the night. I figure this a smoker version of sous vide. So frustrating.
        I foil after 4 hrs. At what temp do you cook?

That is so weird. Seems like you are violating some law of thermodynamics.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I've never had problems with timing when I foil after 4 or 5 hours. its when I haven't foiled that it has gone ridiculously long.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

I foil after 4 hrs. At what temp do you cook?

That is so weird. Seems like you are violating some law of thermodynamics.
            I felt like the opposite of this guy.

https://youtu.be/h9AqbDtSFNU
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Went to Famous Dave's tonight... We taste tested the sauces, but couldn't tell which was which because the names on the plastic bottles had all rubbed off... I did like one more than the others but who knows what it was.

Not me.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• lebowski, on your blog, when you discuss taking the foiled butt off the smoker or out of the oven for the rest, you don't say anything about taking the foil off for 15-30 minutes prior to FTC or oven at 170 rest period. is that not necessary? i've always done it because i thought it was part of the process - perhaps i came up with that on my own or was given useless info at some point.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  lebowski, on your blog, when you discuss taking the foiled butt off the smoker or out of the oven for the rest, you don't say anything about taking the foil off for 15-30 minutes prior to FTC or oven at 170 rest period. is that not necessary? i've always done it because i thought it was part of the process - perhaps i came up with that on my own or was given useless info at some point.
                  Sometimes I do that and sometimes I don’t. I’m not sure it’s necessary with pork butts.

I always do that on brisket because brisket is more sensitive to the final temperature.

Comment

Sometimes I do that and sometimes I don’t. I’m not sure it’s necessary with pork butts.

I always do that on brisket because brisket is more sensitive to the final temperature.
                    ah. makes sense. gracias
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• This has probably been addressed a hundred times, but I can't find it at the moment. What is your preferred method for reheating/serving pulled pork?

I have 4 butts that I am smoking today for a large group dinner on Tuesday night. I wanted to smoke it on Tuesday so it could be served hot, but the logistics aren't going to work out. So I will cook today and then have to reheat to serve tomorrow.
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        This has probably been addressed a hundred times, but I can't find it at the moment. What is your preferred method for reheating/serving pulled pork?

I have 4 butts that I am smoking today for a large group dinner on Tuesday night. I wanted to smoke it on Tuesday so it could be served hot, but the logistics aren't going to work out. So I will cook today and then have to reheat to serve tomorrow.
                        Cook, pull, vacuum seal. Then boil in the bag and serve.

Comment

Easy peasy. Did just that for the fourth of july barbecue last year and the results were great.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

We've had success with this method. I've also found that when freezing the sealed bags, if I flatten out the contents inside the sealed bag before freezing them, then the pork tends to reheat a lot faster in the boiling water. Also, they stack in the freezer better when they're flat.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              We've had success with this method. I've also found that when freezing the sealed bags, if I flatten out the contents inside the sealed bag before freezing them, then the pork tends to reheat a lot faster in the boiling water. Also, they stack in the freezer better when they're flat.
                              Pro tip!

We are doing pulled pork for my daughters wedding. I am going to using this method on a ridiculous amount of meat. [emoji51]

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Right. Also a good idea, if possible, to stick the pork in the fridge/freezer for a few minutes before sealing them, so some of those juices solidify and make the sealing process easier on you.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X