London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Just started mining credit card points for this very purpose. Just hit the minimum spend on my Chase Sapphire, now I'm on to the Hilton Honors Amex!

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Les Mis, Wicked, and Lion King were all good. Phantom not so much.
      We just saw Hamilton as a family last week, so I am thinking Les Mis (my daughter wants to see that) and maybe Matilda (RSC is doing this right now).

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        My wife wants to go to London. When are the best times of year to go? Any tips for getting the best airfare rates?
        September. Good weather -- sunny and dry, but not too hot -- and kids are in school, so crowds aren't as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Which shows? We are going for the end of christmas break and starting to look at shows.
          Mary Poppins, Wicked, and Hamilton. Hamilton tix are surprisingly cheap--they don't let you re-sell them, so you're paying face value. I just got pretty decent tickets for 100 pounds per.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Which shows? We are going for the end of christmas break and starting to look at shows.
            Phantom.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Mary Poppins, Wicked, and Hamilton. Hamilton tix are surprisingly cheap--they don't let you re-sell them, so you're paying face value. I just got pretty decent tickets for 100 pounds per.
              Mouse trap. Fun show.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                Points are the best deal out there. Go get some credit cards, hit the minimum spend, collect the promotion and away you go. Same with hotels. I've got enough points in the bank right now for another Europe trip.

I like going in May.
                In May, you can also score some good deals on airfare. Once you hit summer, the plane tix get a lot more expensive. I subscribed to Scott's cheap flights. Probably not a ton out of Boise, but if you're willing to drive to SLC, you can probably snag some good prices.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

In May, you can also score some good deals on airfare. Once you hit summer, the plane tix get a lot more expensive. I subscribed to Scott's cheap flights. Probably not a ton out of Boise, but if you're willing to drive to SLC, you can probably snag some good prices.
                  Thanks. Just signed up with Scott.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

A couple of people where I work use Flights From Home website. The airports you can select from are SLC, LAS, and PHX.

Comment

What would you guys consider a good airfare price from Boise/SLC to London and back?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        What would you guys consider a good airfare price from Boise/SLC to London and back?
                        I usually see sales between $400-$500 for cheap, no frills fares (no seat selection and no checked bags). Usually around $600 for a good price with seat selection and one checked bag. They can get lower, but that is unusual.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I usually see sales between $400-$500 for cheap, no frills fares (no seat selection and no checked bags). Usually around $600 for a good price with seat selection and one checked bag. They can get lower, but that is unusual.
                          Thanks.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I got tickets from New Jersey for $349 in May

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

We got back last week. Took all the kids. Trip was a big success. We gave the trip to the kids for Christmas, and then left 5 days later, so it was a huge surprise for them.

We spent 3 days in the the countryside: Stonehenge, Cotswolds, Warwick Castle and Oxford. Driving was a bit crazy but we got through unscathed.

I am a cheap bastard, but my wife takes penny pinching to the next level. To save money, buy tickets for places you are going to visit in advance. Even the stupid London Eye is like 7 pounds cheaper if you buy it before you go. Some family pass. A 9 day English Heritage Pass got us into Stonehenge and Apsley House, the Duke of Wellington's House in Hyde Park.

Travel around london is super easy with an Oyster card. It is a £5.00 deposit for each card (refundable if you turn it back in before you leave), but kids use the underground at a discounted rate and everyone has a max than they can use per day. For adults after you have used about £7 worth of trips a day you have spent your limit, so ride to your hearts content. Or a contactless card or apple pay would work as well. London transport has it figured out. Citymapper is the best app for getting around London. https://citymapper.com/sf-bay-area?lang=en Works awesome.

I can confirm that the Magna Carta is still at the British Library along with a Gutenberg Bible. My kids thought both were cool.

British Museum is still awesome, I did the Top 10 from their website with my 6 year old and even she could handle that. She liked the mummies.

The Tower was great and there were no lines at all to see the jewels. Imperial War Museum is awesome, but we didn't give ourselves enough time to go through the new Holocaust section, so that poor planning on my part. but in my defense I didn't know it existed and they suggest around 3 hours. Next time... My Daughters loved the Churchill Cabinet rooms. They were there for 2.5 hours and would have gone longer if I would have let them, but we had to get to the theater.

London Eye is dumb, but I have now done it and never will again. I did like the Sky Garden, you just need to reserve tickets in advance, though they are free (https://skygarden.london/)

Theater: We saw Matilda, The Lion King, Les Miserables, and Wicked. Matilda was most of my family's and my favorite. My son like the Lion King the best.

Harry Potter Studios was very cool for a fan of the movies. My daughter was geeking out.

We did have some great fish and chips from the place right next to our AirBnb.

We had 5 full days in London and it wasn't enough time. But we got to see most of what we wanted. And it rained on us for about 30 minutes of the whole trip, so that was awesome.

Comment

I am a cheap bastard, but my wife takes penny pinching to the next level.

[...]

Theater: We saw Matilda, The Lion King, Les Miserables, and Wicked.
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X