The Saadfather Part II - The 2017-2018 NHL Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    In some discussions about this, I note the distinction between Vegas being the only expansion team whereas in many expansions there are usually two expansion teams which dilutes the talent available. Whatever the reason I am happy to see how it is binding the community to the team. I hope other leagues consider how to make expansion teams more competitive immediately instead consigning them to suckitude for a decade or two.
    I was shocked how much VGK's gear I saw people in Utah wearing when I was up there for graduation a few weeks ago. It was all over the place.

Comment

• It is brilliant but looking at reasons why this expansion is different it is clear that the reason is more than there only being one expansion team at a time. The reason why it has worked (in addition to some very savvy draft and trade deals made by Vegas management during the draft) is more about the limitations on how many players NHL teams could protect in the expansion draft. The quality of players available is what made this work.

One reason why I knew they would be competitive right away is because I knew they would be deep. Hockey is more about depth across 4 lines than superstar power. When your best offensive players only play at best 20-25 minutes a night, the team with the best depth will usually win.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I have no idea what the rules were, but I think doing what you can to make an expansion team good quickly is a very good idea, regardless of the sport. You need to get the new city excited and tied in with the team as soon as possible so that will support the team in the long term and so they don't create a legacy of sucking that can be hard to get rid of. Look at the Charlotte Bobcats and the Memphis Grizzlies.
        I agree with you that it is smart to give the team a chance to be good quickly, especially with the NHL trying to crow into new markets. The NHL made the right call and will probably do the same with Seattle.

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Did any of the hockey talking heads predict that Vegas would make the playoffs after the expansion draft? Genuine question. I don't remember anything like that being discussed back a year ago when they drafted.
        I don't know about people predicting playoffs, but when the expansion rules came out there was a lot of analysis that the rules were going to allow some really good players to be un-protected in the expansion draft.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          It is a good thing. I think the NHL set it up perfectly and Vegas management didn't drop the ball. Its a good thing for the league and the sport, but it isn't very comparable to other expansion teams in the NHL or in other sports for that matter. It doesn't take away from what they are doing which is incredibly impressive. All I am saying is that the part of the narrative touting that it is so impressive because they are an expansion team, while true, it isn't really comparable to other expansions teams, which is a good thing. Other sports need to take a look at how the NHL set up the expansion draft and #takenote.
          Fify
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I have no idea what the rules were, but I think doing what you can to make an expansion team good quickly is a very good idea, regardless of the sport. You need to get the new city excited and tied in with the team as soon as possible so that will support the team in the long term and so they don't create a legacy of sucking that can be hard to get rid of. Look at the Charlotte Bobcats and the Memphis Grizzlies.
            The NBA would have been better off if the Grizzlies remained in Vancouver. Canada should have two NBA teams and I think the NBA picked the two correct locales. I blame Big Country for the move to Memphis.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              The NBA would have been better off if the Grizzlies remained in Vancouver. Canada should have two NBA teams and I think the NBA picked the two correct locales. I blame Big Country for the move to Memphis.
              Get the fuck out with the NBA talk in this hockey thread.
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Vancouver should get back in the NBA along with Seattle.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  Get the fuck out with the NBA talk in this hockey thread.
                  No.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Well look at that, the Caps send the Pens packing. Huzzah!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Vancouver should get back in the NBA along with Seattle.
                      The Pelicans haven't taken hold in New Orleans and it's stupid that Sacramento has a team. Vancouver, Seattle and third team in Socal (Orange County or San Diego) should be possible destinations, though I doubt Vancouver is actually on anyone's list right now.

I also can't believe the Buffalo Bills haven't already moved to Toronto. There seems to be some untapped potential for the NFL up there.

Comment

The Pelicans haven't taken hold in New Orleans and it's stupid that Sacramento has a team. Vancouver, Seattle and third team in Socal (Orange County or San Diego) should be possible destinations, though I doubt Vancouver is actually on anyone's list right now.

I also can't believe the Buffalo Bills haven't already moved to Toronto. There seems to be some untapped potential for the NFL up there.
                        how dare you buffalo is a delightful community deserving of multiple professional sports franchises
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          Well look at that, the Caps send the Pens packing. Huzzah!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          Congrats to you sir. You are a long suffering fan. The celebration was fun to watch.

Comment

• Caps are looking very good, and the Knights tie it up. In the first period of the first game, the Knights gave too much space, but tightened it up. I didn't see the Caps win; perhaps somebody could describe what they saw.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Caps are looking very good, and the Knights tie it up. In the first period of the first game, the Knights gave too much space, but tightened it up. I didn't see the Caps win; perhaps somebody could describe what they saw.
                              Or you could watch some highlights of the game.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I continue to be confused about why the Lightning can't put it all together in the Stanley Cup playoffs. After the 2015 finals, I was pretty confident that was the team to beat in the NHL for several years to come. It got even worse when that asshole Red Wing GM got team friendly deals from Stamkos and Hedman.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X