No announcement yet.

Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is making me feel pretty inadequate, tbh.

Now I feel like Delmar: "you ain't no kind of man if you ain't got no land"
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Ha, I was thinking your shallow ends would both be on the ends of the L and the deep end would be where they both meet. I figured I was missing something.

That plan would work well and I'd definitely prefer it over my current pool. I also wouldn't have the space in my backyard to make it work. But if you have the space and cash to do it, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      if he has the cash? Eddie Jones, meet donuthole. donuthole, meet Eddie Jones.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Ha, I was thinking your shallow ends would both be on the ends of the L and the deep end would be where they both meet. I figured I was missing something.

That plan would work well and I'd definitely prefer it over my current pool. I also wouldn't have the space in my backyard to make it work. But if you have the space and cash to do it, go for it.
        Our lot is such that we have about 30' from our house to our back wall along the full length of the house. That opens to a nice-sized side yard. In total we have just under a third of an acre, and our house is placed nicely in the front west corner. We should be able to fit this in the rear east corner of the lot and still have room for a half-court basketball court, trampoline, and swingset on that side of the house.

It's going to cost a pretty penny, but it will be nice to finally make the most of our lot.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          This thread is making me feel pretty inadequate, tbh.

Now I feel like Delmar: "you ain't no kind of man if you ain't got no land"
          I've got one for you.

I got roped into coaching my 8 year old daughter's spring basketball team. I know half the girls, don't know the other half as they were just assigned to my team. I sent out a little welcome e-mail to the team and mentioned that we would be practicing at the local jr high on a certain day and time. I got an e-mail back from one of the moms about 10 minutes later saying that if I want to, for practices we can use the full sized basketball court they have inside their home.

apparently the husband's welding business is going swimmingly.
          Last edited by smokymountainrain; 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            I think I see the confusion. You guys are thinking the pool is a rectangle with the deep end between two shallow ends, ya? I guess maybe everybody missed where I said it would be L-shaped?

Here's a rudimentary, not-to-scale sketch.

We would add a raised spa in a location still TBD, and somewhere near the deep end we would probably notch out a spot for a grotto with a rock waterfall/diving platform that could be built a few years down the line.
            Yep, I was picturing a rectangle. I've never seen an L shaped pool like that with basically two "deep" ends.

Comment

Lots of good stuff here. I apprecaite all the info.

What about concrete vs. vinyl vs fiberglass? Any thoughts?
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Lots of good stuff here. I apprecaite all the info.

What about concrete vs. vinyl vs fiberglass? Any thoughts?
                Around here nearly everyone uses Gunite, with a small scattering of Viking fiberglass pools. The viking pools are cheaper, but not by much, from what I understand. Someone told me a price recently, and I was surprise at how much they are charging now.

We haven't had a single problem with our gunite. Its very comfortable on the feet and is dark colored, so it is a few degrees warmer than a light colored pool. I understand the cleaning may be a little higher maintenance with concrete, due to more irregular surfaces for things to grow on.

Have you thought much about chlorine vs salt water?

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  Around here nearly everyone uses Gunite, with a small scattering of Viking fiberglass pools. The viking pools are cheaper, but not by much, from what I understand. Someone told me a price recently, and I was surprise at how much they are charging now.

We haven't had a single problem with our gunite. Its very comfortable on the feet and is dark colored, so it is a few degrees warmer than a light colored pool. I understand the cleaning may be a little higher maintenance with concrete, due to more irregular surfaces for things to grow on.

Have you thought much about chlorine vs salt water?
                  Not at all. in fact, I really dont know much about salt water pools. ANd by not much I mean not anything.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Have you looked into the in-floor self-cleaning pools at all. Adds about $10k to the cost, but you'll never have to sweep or vacuum. My buddy installed one recently and swears it was the best investment he made.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

the self cleaning pool looks pretty cool.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        if he has the cash? Eddie Jones, meet donuthole. donuthole, meet Eddie Jones.
                        I should have figured with him being a lawyer and all. He doesn't flaunt it quite as much as fusnik and DDD.

Our lot is such that we have about 30' from our house to our back wall along the full length of the house. That opens to a nice-sized side yard. In total we have just under a third of an acre, and our house is placed nicely in the front west corner. We should be able to fit this in the rear east corner of the lot and still have room for a half-court basketball court, trampoline, and swingset on that side of the house.

It's going to cost a pretty penny, but it will be nice to finally make the most of our lot.
                        Sounds like a nice setup. Let me know if the house next to you goes up for sale

I'm assuming you took into account easements. A friend of mine down here bought a home with a big backyard with the intention of putting in a pool only to find out he had a large easement that prevented him from doing anything worthwhile with a pool. Yeah, he should have checked that before buying the home. Also, didn't DDD say once he almost had an easement problem at his chalet which would also prevent him from having a pool?

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Not at all. in fact, I really dont know much about salt water pools. ANd by not much I mean not anything.
                          Like I mentioned, I love our salt water pool. The salt water generator creates the chlorine, but it's not like chlorine pools. We never smell like chlorine after swimming and our eyes don't hurt, plus the water is much softer due to the salt content. The biggest drawback is that we can't really have metal furniture in the backyard.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Have you looked into the in-floor self-cleaning pools at all. Adds about $10k to the cost, but you'll never have to sweep or vacuum. My buddy installed one recently and swears it was the best investment he made.

I don't think your buddy has anything to compare it to.

We have the little Roomba style vacuum on a hose that just wanders the pool all day. Keeps it plenty clean and only cost about $500.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              I've got one for you.

I got roped into coaching my 8 year old daughter's spring basketball team. I know half the girls, don't know the other half as they were just assigned to my team. I sent out a little welcome e-mail to the team and mentioned that we would be practicing at the local jr high on a certain day and time. I got an e-mail back from one of the moms about 10 minutes later saying that if I want to, for practices we can use the full sized basketball court they have inside their home.

apparently the husband's welding business is going swimmingly.
                              Damn welders. How do they make so much money?!?
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Ha. Mrs. Donut and I are presently mired in this discussion. I am on your side and my wife is on your wife's side. I feel like the organic shape (here it is often called a "kidney bean") is a less efficient use of space. Plus, I like the clean lines of something more angular. (FYI, this dispute is pretty much a running theme throughout our home decorating adventures, as my wife loves the rustic, shabby-chic crap which is currently so prevalent, and I like mid-century modern, industrial, and/or contemporary styling.)

As for a pool, we're actually thinking about a shape that allows us to have two shallow ends and a deep end, so we can have more room to play volleyball and basketball. The proposed options are a cloverish shape for the "organic" variety, or an L-shape for the more contemporary look. You can probably guess who is in favor of what.
                                It's nice to see that you're finally ripping out all that turf that you put back there last summer.
                                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Working...
                                X