Official 49ers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The story is that the Pats received a lot of offers for Garapollo in the off-season, but none of them were good enough to lose a potential franchise QB. So I guess that those offers weren't as good as a second round pick, at least for them at that time. I wonder what changed.
    Potentially the Pats themselves were the source of the stories regarding turning down 1st round draft picks shortly before this past draft.

The other thing to consider is that Belichick probably wondered if Brady was going to fall apart this season -- like Peyton Manning did a couple years ago. Overtaking Montana and Bradshaw represented a certain milestone for Brady, but apparently Brady wants to tie or beat Michael Jordan, lol.

The trade of Jimmy G now probably only represents a slip of 10 spots from what they could have gotten before the draft. To Belichick, that may have been worth it to see how Brady was doing at the start of this season. They certainly were not going to be able to pay Garapollo after this year.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Pierre Garcon done for the year now.

Tank so hard...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
        Pierre Garcon done for the year now.

Tank so hard...
        When are they even going to play Jimmy Guapo?
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          When are they even going to play Jimmy Guapo?
          My guess is after the bye week. But I wouldn't consider it until the OL has been shored up a bit (and by that I mean Staley and Brown playing at tackle).

Comment

My guess is after the bye week. But I wouldn't consider it until the OL has been shored up a bit (and by that I mean Staley and Brown playing at tackle).
            What are you talking about. The o-line play has been fine.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/925030076105846786

Comment

• That game yesterday was the most winnable game on the 49ers schedule, other than the Giants this week. While it makes sense to tank in the NBA, it's not usually a good idea in the NFL unless there's a generational QB or even pass rusher at the top of the draft. There's a bigger element of player development in the NFL than the NBA. It was fine when they lost 5 straight by a total of 13 points, but now there's been three blowouts.

Of course, this team is still filled with Baalke deadbeats. I wonder how many other GMs had as big of a track record of draft disasters as that idiot. Usually an incompetent GM has 2-3 drafts to screw up and then they're fired. Because Baalke inherited McCloughan's players upon taking over and Harbaugh won with those players for three years, Baalke was given the reigns for three more drafts than he would have had otherwise. The 2012 draft for the 49ers was possibly the worst draft in the history of any team in the NFL. After the 2011 draft (which flamed out in its own spectacular way, after some pretty solid contributions from those players in their first three years), Buckner was the only pro-bowl level player he hit on in six drafts. Other than that he got a handful of average starters -- Reid, Ward, Brown and Hyde. How many WTF moments did Baalke have? Who wanted AJ Jenkins before the third round other than Baalke? Even though he's an okay player, how about Jimmie Ward? Then you had the cherry on top of his final shit masterpiece in the first round -- Garnett in 2016. Had anyone heard of Vance McDonald before the 2013 draft? I remember a ton of discussion on 49er forums about Travis Kelce. Basically the nerds on the web forums would have been better at drafting than Baalke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                That game yesterday was the most winnable game on the 49ers schedule, other than the Giants this week. While it makes sense to tank in the NBA, it's not usually a good idea in the NFL unless there's a generational QB or even pass rusher at the top of the draft. There's a bigger element of player development in the NFL than the NBA. It was fine when they lost 5 straight by a total of 13 points, but now there's been three blowouts.
                This is one of the reasons why I absolutely love the addition of Jimmy G now. You've got the next two months to really work him out and see if he's got what it takes to be the franchise guy. If he doesn't, you're still in position to be able to take a potential franchise QB in the draft that *may* have a few guys. If he does, then you have the ability to trade down and charge a kings ransom to move up. With as many holes as SF has, this is probably the best case scenario, in theory being able to add a starting DB and a potential #1 WR this year, plus another potential starter next year.

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                Of course, this team is still filled with Baalke deadbeats. I wonder how many other GMs had as big of a track record of draft disasters as that idiot. Usually an incompetent GM has 2-3 drafts to screw up and then they're fired. Because Baalke inherited McCloughan's players upon taking over and Harbaugh won with those players for three years, Baalke was given the reigns for three more drafts than he would have had otherwise. The 2012 draft for the 49ers was possibly the worst draft in the history of any team in the NFL. After the 2011 draft (which flamed out in its own spectacular way, after some pretty solid contributions from those players in their first three years), Buckner was the only pro-bowl level player he hit on in six drafts. Other than that he got a handful of average starters -- Reid, Ward, Brown and Hyde. How many WTF moments did Baalke have? Who wanted AJ Jenkins before the third round other than Baalke? Even though he's an okay player, how about Jimmie Ward? Then you had the cherry on top of his final shit masterpiece in the first round -- Garnett in 2016. Had anyone heard of Vance McDonald before the 2013 draft? I remember a ton of discussion on 49er forums about Travis Kelce. Basically the nerds on the web forums would have been better at drafting than Baalke.
                The 2011 draft one seemed like it was going to go down as an all-time great draft. Aldon Smith was confusing at the time, but it was better than taking Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder and then Smith looked to be a potential hall of famer until he went off the rails. Kaep looked to be great with Harbaugh, but regressed once JH left town. Chris Culliver was a solid pick in round 3. Daniel Kilgore is starting now, which you'll take from a 5th round pick and Bruce Miller was a great fit for a few years in the 7th. I'd take that yield from most drafts. However, that was as good as it got.

The 2012 draft may be one of the worst in history. The AJ Jenkins pick had me scratching my head big time. I get the need to add a WR to that team, but Alshon Jeffrey would've been a much better pick. I liked LaMichael James in the 2nd round, but he did not pan out at all as a change of pace back to spare Frank Gore. They traded out of the 3rd round with the Colts, who ended up picking the guy that they thought AJ Jenkins would be in TY Hilton. Then they traded the pick that Indy gave them to Miami for Lamar Miller, essentially the guy they hoped LaMichael James could be. The rest of their picks aren't even worth mentioning, that's how bad they were.

It didn't help that none of the injury guys panned out. You'd hope at least one of them would hit, but they've all been disasters.

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I absolutely love the addition of Jimmy G now. You've got the next two months to really work him out and see if he's got what it takes to be the franchise guy. If he doesn't, you're still in position to be able to take a potential franchise QB in the draft that *may* have a few guys. If he does, then you have the ability to trade down and charge a kings ransom to move up. With as many holes as SF has, this is probably the best case scenario, in theory being able to add a starting DB and a potential #1 WR this year, plus another potential starter next year.

The 2011 draft one seemed like it was going to go down as an all-time great draft. Aldon Smith was confusing at the time, but it was better than taking Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder and then Smith looked to be a potential hall of famer until he went off the rails. Kaep looked to be great with Harbaugh, but regressed once JH left town. Chris Culliver was a solid pick in round 3. Daniel Kilgore is starting now, which you'll take from a 5th round pick and Bruce Miller was a great fit for a few years in the 7th. I'd take that yield from most drafts. However, that was as good as it got.

The 2012 draft may be one of the worst in history. The AJ Jenkins pick had me scratching my head big time. I get the need to add a WR to that team, but Alshon Jeffrey would've been a much better pick. I liked LaMichael James in the 2nd round, but he did not pan out at all as a change of pace back to spare Frank Gore. They traded out of the 3rd round with the Colts, who ended up picking the guy that they thought AJ Jenkins would be in TY Hilton. Then they traded the pick that Indy gave them to Miami for Lamar Miller, essentially the guy they hoped LaMichael James could be. The rest of their picks aren't even worth mentioning, that's how bad they were.

It didn't help that none of the injury guys panned out. You'd hope at least one of them would hit, but they've all been disasters.
                  JJ Watt was selected 4 picks after Aldon Smith. Robert Quinn was at #14. The guy I really wanted that year was Patrick Peterson, who was selected two spots ahead. All of that said, Aldon Smith was a great talent who happened to be a colossal idiot. Bruce Miller and Colin Kaepernick weren't much better. The best case scenario with Baalke most of the time was picking one of these types of players. While not everyone can be JJ Watt, and such a talent almost never comes along, I wouldn't have minded having Ryan Kerrigan (#16) right now along with the past six seasons rather than having Aldon Smith for three years.

Comment

• Beathard's performance against the terrible Giants gives the Niners the cover to play him against the Seahawks in two weeks. I don't know if I want to see Jimmy Guapo get beat up in his first game.

The following two games are against Chicago (his hometown) and Houston, actual winnable games. They need to wait until the Chicago game with Jimmy G.

Comment

• Niners appear to have hit the spot with Jimmy G.

Comment

• looked handsome as shit in the post game presser
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          looked handsome as shit in the post game presser
                          I asked my wife if he was better looking than ER George Clooney. Answer: yes.

River Runs Through It Brad Pitt. Yes

Tom Brady? Absolutely, without question.

She wouldn't commit an answer regarding early 80s Magnum Tom Selleck.

Who the hell am I kidding? I was asking myself these questions in the shower this morning.

I would be shocked if you could find a dozen men worldwide who are more beautiful than Jimmy Guapo.

Comment

• I am beginning to really love this man.

Comment

I am beginning to really love this man.
                              In Jimmy we trust!

Comment

I am beginning to really love this man.
                                I can't believe Lynch and Shanahan got this guy for a 2nd round pick. I don't think they would be willing to flip him for two first round picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X