Gay Wedding Cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Wedding Cakes

SCOTUS hears a landmark case tomorrow. Masterpiece Cakeshop vs. Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

http://time.com/5045071/colorado-wed...e-case-scotus/

People camping out to get a seat:

Any thoughts? Predictions?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    SCOTUS hears a landmark case tomorrow. Masterpiece Cakeshop vs. Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

http://time.com/5045071/colorado-wed...e-case-scotus/

People camping out to get a seat:

Any thoughts? Predictions?
    I predict that the losing side will predict the end of our civilization but really everything will be ok.

Comment

Lower court's ruling that businesses have to bake the cake will be upheld. I think it's wrong, but what I think doesn't matter.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        I predict that the losing side will predict the end of our civilization but really everything will be ok.
        #hottake
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

This will have a direct effect on a local case, that some thought SCOTUS would rule on. Basically the same thing, just substitute flowers for cake. Though, I probably should admire people for standing up for their religious beliefs, I think it's stupid to not just make the cake or sell the flowers.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...t-court-rules/

Comment

I personally would have zero problem baking a cake in such a situation. But I am torn on this one as I see compelling arguments on both sides. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I personally would have zero problem baking a cake in such a situation. But I am torn on this one as I see compelling arguments on both sides. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
              same.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I predict the SCOTUS will rule that Masterpiece Cakes will be required to use their artistic gifts from God to make gay wedding cakes, flag-burning cakes, racist cakes, alcoholic cakes, satanic cakes, etc. just like Colin Kaepernick will be required stand for the national anthem (if he ever plays in the NFL again). These people that think they can hide behind first amendment because they think they are some kind of artist need to be beaten down with the blunt end of a rifle.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  I predict the SCOTUS will rule that Masterpiece Cakes will be required to use their artistic gifts from God to make gay wedding cakes, flag-burning cakes, racist cakes, alcoholic cakes, satanic cakes, etc. just like Colin Kaepernick will be required stand for the national anthem (if he ever plays in the NFL again). These people that think they can hide behind first amendment because they think they are some kind of artist need to be beaten down with the blunt end of a rifle.
                  Spoken like a true libertarian.

Comment

Spoken like a true libertarian.
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I am worried that the gay wedding cakes will devalue traditional wedding cakes.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        I am worried that the gay wedding cakes will devalue traditional wedding cakes.
                        Damn straight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

not a public accomodation. totally and truly absurd result if upheld.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Most people see this case as another version of Katzenbach v. McClung, but I disagree. It would be one thing to refuse service to people because they are gay, but this is opposition to the activity, not the person. The counter argument, of course, is this is a legal activity, and they would not be opposed to providing service if the participants weren't gay. I disagree. Taking this to a ridiculous extreme, this would seem to imply that a female photographer who photographs nude women should be compelled to do the same for a man. No analogy is perfect, so I don't want to go far with that one, but the point is that I don't think anyone should be compelled to provide a service for an activity that they don't want to participate in.

Before anyone starts calling me a homophobe, I have a business that provided material for a gay wedding, and I'd do it again. I didn't know what it was for at the time, but I certainly didn't have a problem with it. The customer has returned a few times for other things. I just think people should have the freedom to say no.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              not a public accomodation. totally and truly absurd result if upheld.
                              Yeah, those so called artists need be taught to conform. Things like cake and flowers arrangements are not art! And because of that they shouldn't be allowed to charge ridiculous prices for their crap either. The next you know they will not make a cake because because they are aggie fans or something...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X