Going to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Hawaii

I'm going to be in Hawaii in the beginning of October. Where should I go? What should I do? What shouldn't I miss? What do I have to eat? I know a bunch of you on here have either been there or lived there, so bring any and all suggestions. TIA.

Aren't you in law school right now? Get studying, pal!

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
      I'm going to be in Hawaii in the beginning of October. Where should I go? What should I do? What shouldn't I miss? What do I have to eat? I know a bunch of you on here have either been there or lived there, so bring any and all suggestions. TIA.
      What island(s) will you be on?
      I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post
        What island(s) will you be on?
        Well, our flight is landing on Oahu, but we're considering going to Maui. I'm not sure what it takes to travel between islands (a flight, I suppose), but when we bought our tickets it was super cheap to fly to Honolulu, so that's where we bought our tickets to.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Aren't you in law school right now? Get studying, pal!
          Yeah, I am in school right now. Fortunately, BYU gives us a placement break in the beginning of October. I've got nowhere to be placed yet, so I'll be taking full advantage.

Comment

there is only one thing you should be doing in Hawaii: surfing. If you spend your time doing anything else, you are wasting precious time.

From what I understand, some people go there to sleep during the day, read books, and play golf. Who knew?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              there is only one thing you should be doing in Hawaii: surfing. If you spend your time doing anything else, you are wasting precious time.

From what I understand, some people go there to sleep during the day, read books, and play golf. Who knew?
              I have never surfed a day in my life. Looks like it could be fun, but I'm not sure that a week is long enough to pick it up and I'm pretty sure I would look like a fool. That being said, I'm willing to try. Where should I go? Will I just look dumb on the North Shore with everyone else that really knows how to surf? What size/type of board is good for a beginner? Do I need to get an instructor of some sort, or can I just stick myself out there and hope for the best?

Comment

I have never surfed a day in my life. Looks like it could be fun, but I'm not sure that a week is long enough to pick it up and I'm pretty sure I would look like a fool. That being said, I'm willing to try. Where should I go? Will I just look dumb on the North Shore with everyone else that really knows how to surf? What size/type of board is good for a beginner? Do I need to get an instructor of some sort, or can I just stick myself out there and hope for the best?
                you can rent a longboard and be standing up within 25 minutes, no problem. don't worry about inexperience. best place to learn on oahu is at waikiki, simply because there are loads of longboards to rent (12 foot epoxies....those things are like canoes....you can stand up on a tiny 6 inch wave if you wanted), the sets come in consistently, and the paddle out is easy.

The North Shore is big in the winter, flat in the summer, so right now there isn't much going on, although I imagine by October that it could be intermittently decent.

Like anything else, having a lesson pays big dividends. If you are completely by yourself, it might get frustrating.

The other reason that waikiki is good is because it is a known haoli spot. There is no localism there. You have to be aware and respectful of localism around the island. Hundreds of breaks all over the place, but not all of them are for mainlanders.

I promise you will have a blast.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, having dated two people from Hawaii, and having married one, I can say you WILL look dumb trying to learn to surf at the North Shore. If you do go there go where there are tourists and don't let some local fool you into gettin the good waves at v-land or some other un-official locals only spot. Go somewhere like Castles beach or Hukilau where the waves are medium and on the sand. That's just my two cents from what I know.

You gotta go to the Polynesian Cultural Center in La'ie next to BYU-Hawaii campus. Seems really touristy and it is, but it is worth it. Lots of cool stuff to see and learn there.

Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa is a cool place everyone likes to go. Haleiwa is just a cool little town anyway I think.

Do visit the North Shore and see what's going on. There were a few surf competitions going on at Pipeline when I was there, and it was rad!
                  I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

FWIW I hated Maui. I think you could have the exact same experience in SoCal that you can have in Maui. Oahu has some cool stuff but is really touristy. Hawaii was fun, mainly because it was our honeymoon and we stayed at a fun hotel. Kauai was my favorite, if/when we go back to Hawaii that is where I plan to go.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

If you go to Maui, the Road to Hana is overrated, unless you can do it on motorcycles. It will take you to some beautiful places, but it will also take all day.
                      Snorkeling was one of the funnest things we did (we aren't scuba certified). Molokini snorkel cruise was fun, but we talked to people who scubad just of the west coast near Lahaina that saw more and better fish.
                      I did take surfing lessons in Lahaina and had a blast. They guarantee to get you up on a wave and no one in our group failed, so give it a try if you are so inclined on either island.

Comment

Let me know if you like to snorkel and you decide on Maui. We found some great spots.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Save your pennies, or increase your student loans, and play Kapalua Planation Course. One of the most beautiful golf courses I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                            Do visit the North Shore and see what's going on. There were a few surf competitions going on at Pipeline when I was there, and it was rad!
                            Isn't Oregon a little too far north for you to be using the word "rad"? Your husband notwithstanding.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Isn't Oregon a little too far north for you to be using the word "rad"? Your husband notwithstanding.
                              Not at all. Rad is a regular part of my vocabulary, as is "right on" which I have always thought to be an Oregon phrase mostly because my dad says it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X