Anthem Mania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthem Mania

I thought the transgender bathroom thing was the dumbest battle in the history of culture wars, but I think the kneeling-during-the-anthem thing has topped it. So much stupidity and posturing on both sides. Unreal.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Ben Shapiro has done a pretty good job skewering the idiocy on both sides of the issue:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21472/...t-ben-shapiro#

Here’s the bottom line: this conflict isn’t good for the country. We need our shared symbols, and we need our shared spaces. Both of those elements are being destroyed for political and ratings gain. If that doesn’t stop, we’re not going to have anything at all in common anymore.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Jeeesh. A stupid protest that a stupid POTUS threw gasoline on.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Ben Shapiro has done a pretty good job skewering the idiocy on both sides of the issue:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21472/...t-ben-shapiro#

Best thing anyone could do was ignore Colin Kaepernick, but Trump is turning him into some hero. It's not helping that is trying to bully professional sports leagues into doing his bidding either.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Best thing anyone could do was ignore Colin Kaepernick, but Trump is turning him into some hero. It's not helping that is trying to bully professional sports leagues into doing his bidding either.
          It's really important to Trump to divide up the country into those who love him and those who don't. Then go from there. Typical fascist technique.
          Last edited by BlueK; 09-26-2017, 07:34 AM.

Comment

What a difference a year makes:

https://youtu.be/VPqOotT_ta8
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              What a difference a year makes:

https://youtu.be/VPqOotT_ta8
              Remember when people would complain about Obama being divisive? Good times.

Comment

When I was in middle school, I used to wonder how different the world would be if me or one of my peers were POTUS. Now I know.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  When I was in middle school, I used to wonder how different the world would be if me or one of my peers were POTUS. Now I know.
                  Not sure I would consider Trump to be a peer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

A president with genuine intelligence and a real understanding of the issue (and without question, Trump has neither) would be able to defuse this stupid issue and do much to unite the country. But in Trump's twisted, demagogic mind that would work against his number one goal--adoration from his base.

I like Eric Reid's explanation of why he and Kap did what they did:
                    We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy. It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I can’t find words that appropriately express how heartbroken I am to see the constant smears against Colin, a person who helped start the movement with only the very best of intentions. We are talking about a man who helped to orchestrate a commercial planeful of food and supplies for famine-stricken Somalia. A man who has invested his time and money into needy communities here at home. A man I am proud to call my brother, who should be celebrated for his courage to seek change on important issues. Instead, to this day, he is unemployed and portrayed as a radical un-American who wants to divide our country.
                    It's weird that kneeling and bowing one's head is thought by Trumpians to be the worst form of disrespect.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      Colin who? Who does he play for?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Remember when people would complain about Obama being divisive? Good times.
                        But just imagine how much worse it would be with Hillary!

Comment

It would be hypocritical of me to condemn the players.

I never stand for Rise and Shout. I am protesting the HC.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            A president with genuine intelligence and a real understanding of the issue (and without question, Trump has neither) would be able to defuse this stupid issue and do much to unite the country. But in Trump's twisted, demagogic mind that would work against his number one goal--adoration from his base.

I like Eric Reid's explanation of why he and Kap did what they did:

It's weird that kneeling and bowing one's head is thought by Trumpians to be the worst form of disrespect.
                            While I dislike the chosen form of protest, it doesn't outrage me and I certainly don't thin it should be curtailed. On Colin: if I remember correctly he began his protest by sitting on the bench during the anthem alone. When he got backlash for being disrespectful he changed to taking a knee. Kneeling is definitely better.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              While I dislike the chosen form of protest, it doesn't outrage me and I certainly don't thin it should be curtailed. On Colin: if I remember correctly he began his protest by sitting on the bench during the anthem alone. When he got backlash for being disrespectful he changed to taking a knee. Kneeling is definitely better.
                              As I recall, Kaepernick changed to kneeling after discussing the issue with a former Navy Seal who told him it would be a more respectful way to approach the matter.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                              X