General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
    Can i ask why you cut the pavers on the one end instead of finishing with a full paver? Either way, looks great. What is your plan for the spot?

Edit: after looking closer at the picture it looks like the angle just kind of dictated it for those last few bricks. How do you keep those skinny pavers from moving? Did you use an epoxy?
    Yeah, the angle wasn't exactly square. Well, it was square at one corner (I made sure of that) but didn't realize that the edges would bend a bit. I was already part way done laying the pavers when I noticed and it wasn't bad so I just figured I'd cut those ones as well. The plan was to only have to cut on two sides. I should have used string from the square corner to ensure two completely square sides, but that would have looked a bit funny since my fence isn't exactly square either. I only had to cut 4-5 more pavers so not a big issue.

so far the little pavers are holding up on the sides. There is a stiff plastic barrier they run up against. The pavers are 2 3/8 inches tall and the plastic barrier goes up about 1 to 1.5 inches, so hopefully over time it continues to hold well. There also won't be much traffic in that area. I'm going to build a small storage shed for my lawn mower, wheel barrow and some other random lawn tools and I suspect the rest of the area will just be a dumping ground for other random backyard stuff.

It really does look good. The height turned out perfectly. It does slope towards the fence, which it should but there is not sinking or bulging in the middle so I'm happy with that.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Yeah, the angle wasn't exactly square. Well, it was square at one corner (I made sure of that) but didn't realize that the edges would bend a bit. I was already part way done laying the pavers when I noticed and it wasn't bad so I just figured I'd cut those ones as well. The plan was to only have to cut on two sides. I should have used string from the square corner to ensure two completely square sides, but that would have looked a bit funny since my fence isn't exactly square either. I only had to cut 4-5 more pavers so not a big issue.

so far the little pavers are holding up on the sides. There is a stiff plastic barrier they run up against. The pavers are 2 3/8 inches tall and the plastic barrier goes up about 1 to 1.5 inches, so hopefully over time it continues to hold well. There also won't be much traffic in that area. I'm going to build a small storage shed for my lawn mower, wheel barrow and some other random lawn tools and I suspect the rest of the area will just be a dumping ground for other random backyard stuff.

It really does look good. The height turned out perfectly. It does slope towards the fence, which it should but there is not sinking or bulging in the middle so I'm happy with that.
      I'm thinking of adding pavers to make a walk way on the side of my house. How difficult was it? Why did it take a month to do that relatively small space?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Spent the better part of this past month clearing out a section of my side yard and laying pavers. I'll do the other side of the walkway next, but wanted to first see if I could do it before putting more in. So far, I'm very happy with it.

The section I had to clear was next to a pine tree stump. I had to clear it with a pickaxe since every inch had roots. It took me at least 5 hours to just clear it and dig up the roots. I also found two sprinkler lines (easy to fix when so much area is cleared) and cut through all 6 sprinkler wires
        Looks like you did it yourself.
        *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          I'm thinking of adding pavers to make a walk way on the side of my house. How difficult was it? Why did it take a month to do that relatively small space?
          It's was my lack of time and the tree roots. I'm busy most Saturday's and Sunday's so I would work on it on week nights when I had time. Also, the tee roots turned what would be an easy, 2 hour excavation, into a long and difficult process. I was pulling out branch sized roots every couple inches.

I also gave the paver base some time to settle. I compacted it but gave it a week or two for it to settle and then recompacted it.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Looks sharp.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• how deep did you go with the sand?
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                how deep did you go with the sand?
                The sand is 1 inch...although it might be closer to 3/4 inches in some places. Under the sand is anywhere from 2 to 5 inches of paver base. Most guides call for 2 to 6 inches of paver base depending on what the area will be used for. The heavier the traffic, the deeper the base needs to be....sometime going even deeper for vehicle traffic. The pavers are 2 3/8 inches tall, so that means at a minimum I dug out about 5.5 inches.

My biggest concern is drainage. I probably should have put in more paver base, but the area is sloped enough that I don't think it'll be an issue...plus I'll cover half of it with a shed so even in the crazy Texas rains the drainage should be okay. I do need to finish up grading the area a bit to have any water drain down and then away into the front yard where there are french drains.

My next projects are:
                - Install an astronomical light switch for the front porch lights (I saw this on This Old House and though it was the coolest thing so I bought one that night)
                - Install a Rachio wifi enabled sprinkler controller. I've never had good rain sensors on any system and with our crazy rains and watering seasons in Texas I find it difficult to manually adjust stuff every so often. This will help in that I can adjust it from anywhere using my phone or computer. Very excited about this as well
                - Build a shed
                - Build built-in bookshelves and desk in my study

Comment

• Bravo. I am impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by comprar View Post
                    Bravo. I am impressed.
                    Like printed material?
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Barnaic progress. Time for painting.
                      Wife approves of the classic barn red test.

IMG_4037.jpg

Neighbor's friendly likes to hang out on the driveway for some reason. He's always welcome for a visit.
                      He sleeps in the barn a lot as well, which saves me on rodent traps.

IMG_4039.jpg

My wife found out she's related to Jack Black.

IMG_3646.jpg

Almost done. One more coat of red, then paint the trim white.

IMG_4040.jpg
                      I intend to live forever.
                      So far, so good.
                      --Steven Wright

Comment

• Trim painted, and rain gutters up and functional.

IMG_4073.jpg
                        So far, so good.
                        --Steven Wright

Comment

• I'm not particularly good with building things. I started a project a week or so ago. Trying to install a new shoe storage bench in the entry from the garage. The spot is L-shaped - about 50" long and 30" deep. I framed the top shelf with 2x3s and the lower two shelves with 2x2s. I'll secure the back of the shelves to the studs in the wall and have 2x3 vertical supports on either end. The top shelf and sides will be encased with a 1x12 board. The lower shelves just have a couple 2x2s spanning the middle.

The main issues I'm dealing with now are as follows:

- I have a lot of sanding to do
                          - I have a lot of staining or painting to do
                          - The wall has molding at the base that I don't want to remove, so I'll probably have to put a notch into the bottom corner of each of the 1x12 boards on the sides.
                          - I need a vertical support at the front junction of the "L" to make sure this thing can hold up to someone like me sitting on it. Probably need to pick up some metal plates so I can attach a 2x2 or 2x3 between each shelf and down to the floor.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them so you all can help me turn this into something not too embarrassing.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Doors/windows for the barn.
                            These are the windows for the side. The doors will be identical in design and color palette.

IMG_4081.jpg

Dutch door top of first stall door up.
                            A friend gave me a great pointer on how to easily make any bolt head black: finger nail polish.
                            And I already had a bottle in my nightstand!

IMG_4088.jpg

Both doors up.

IMG_4091.jpg
                            So far, so good.
                            --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                              Doors/windows for the barn.
                              These are the windows for the side. The doors will be identical in design and color palette.

[ATTACH]7374[/ATTACH]
                              Is that an iCabinet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                                Doors/windows for the barn.
                                [ATTACH]7372[/ATTACH]
                                Rain gutters on a barn? Is there also a flat screen TV in the barn for the horse?
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X