I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Not a critique of him, but of the folklore that's going to eventually see him become THE GREATEST HEART SURGEON IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!
    Ridiculous. Everyone knows the best heart surgeon is Jesus.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

If today's talks and lessons set the tone for this presidency, we are in for A LOT of 2nd-hand testimonies of the prowess, skill, genius, and techniques of a certain heart surgeon prophet.
      Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
      Well, I can't say anything about his technique, but I had a baptism on my mission that had a severe heart condition (congestion? I don't know. I didn't got to med school). It was to the point where she was meeting with the bishop, and the bishop (totally out of the blue) interviewed her for a living ordinance recommend. She was well under a year from baptism at thus point. The bishop made his case to the SP, the SP interviewed her and made his case up the chain, and when it got to the FP, the FP asked RMN to review her medical records. It came back quickly that she should be allowed to go.

And so it was that a couple of days after she went to the temple (roughly 6 months post-baptism), I happened to be in the area, and the old ward mission leader ran into me and told me what happened. So I've had sort of a warm spot in my heart for RMN ever since.

She's still alive today, by the way.
      So in this isolated case, the medical diagnosis of RMN was not accurate? I was expecting the outcome to be that the recent convert didn't live to her one-year anniversary of church membership and thus an exception to church policy was warranted.
      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
        So in this isolated case, the medical diagnosis of RMN was not accurate? I was expecting the outcome to be that the recent convert didn't live to her one-year anniversary of church membership and thus an exception to church policy was warranted.
        No idea. Like I said, I didn't go to med school. Maybe it was spot on, but she beat the odds. Maybe it was a borderline case, and he thought she deserved the opportunity. All I know is that I got to see her with the glow of the temple still there, a rare treat for a missionary, and RMN was instrumental in that.

Comment

• No doubt the blessings she received in the temple helped her with her physical struggles.

We had Ward Conference today, and it was fabulous. I'm energized and excited for what tomorrow brings.

Comment

Not a critique of him, but of the folklore that's going to eventually see him become THE GREATEST HEART SURGEON IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!
            Now you know how I feel when you wankers go about extolling the virtues of some pencil necked geek out of the academy (lower case as it the lesser) who was your mentor.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

If today's talks and lessons set the tone for this presidency, we are in for A LOT of 2nd-hand testimonies of the prowess, skill, genius, and techniques of a certain heart surgeon prophet.
              Wait a minute. Did President Monson not have a photographic memory? Were those just silly rumors?

I'm crushed.
              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Yeah, tell me about... I didn't go much when I was a divorcee. The bishop started bugging me and I just told him I was out of town a lot. (I actually did spent every other weekend in Utah.) I don't blame those guys for dropping off the radar. I was always trying to fly under the radar myself.
                The only members lower on the LDS social/cultural totem pole than divorced males is never married males over age 30.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  The only members lower on the LDS social/cultural totem pole than divorced males is never married males over age 30.
                  Yeah, those guys never catch a break... someone is always b*tching about them:

[...]
                  Now, I have thought a lot lately about you young men who are of an age to marry but who have not yet felt to do so. I see lovely young ladies who desire to be married and to raise families, and yet their opportunities are limited because so many young men are postponing marriage.

This is not a new situation. Much has been said concerning this matter by past Presidents of the Church. I share with you just one or two examples of their counsel.

Said President Harold B. Lee, “We are not doing our duty as holders of the priesthood when we go beyond the marriageable age and withhold ourselves from an honorable marriage to these lovely women.”6

President Gordon B. Hinckley said this: “My heart reaches out to … our single sisters, who long for marriage and cannot seem to find it. … I have far less sympathy for the young men, who under the customs of our society, have the prerogative to take the initiative in these matters but in so many cases fail to do so.”7
                  [...]
                  https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...power?lang=eng

Then folks are scratching their heads wondering why they leave the church.
                  Last edited by Uncle Ted; 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Yeah, those guys never catch a break... someone is always b*tching about them:

https://www.lds.org/general-conferen...power?lang=eng

Then folks are scratching their heads wondering why they leave the church.
                    Ten years ago I would have been counted in this undesirable demographic. The thing is, we don't know why it might take an individual longer than average to find and marry a great woman. For me I can say it was never that I didn't want to. But I'm glad it didn't happen before I was ready. I do think the messaging to the church and to that particular audience is getting better. At least you had to look back seven years to find that talk. My perception is that in the last few years there are not nearly as many never married male bashing talks as there used to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      Ten years ago I would have been counted in this undesirable demographic. The thing is, we don't know why it might take an individual longer than average to find and marry a great woman. For me I can say it was never that I didn't want to. But I'm glad it didn't happen before I was ready. I do think the messaging to the church and to that particular audience is getting better. At least you had to look back seven years to find that talk. My perception is that in the last few years there are not nearly as many never married male bashing talks as there used to be.
                      That's because you're not noticing them, because you're married, not divorced. You think they're not having discussions in young adult wards?
                      Last edited by Topper; 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        That's because you're not noticing them, because you're married, not divorced. You think they're not having discussions in young adult wards?
                        I'm sure in singles wards they are still talking. I'm referring to general conference. I do still notice male bashing talks despite being married. I probably wouldn't if I had married young.

Comment

• The lesson was on the flood, food storage was mentioned and seemed like that dominated the lesson, were to get milk and potatoes, what to do if bad things happen how could we survive. Guy that cut arm. On and on. Didn,t yet to Babel. Lots of food storage experts there.

Comment

• When was it revealed that the Savior goes by his middle name, and that his first name is Even? You'd think his full name is 'Even Jesus Christ' if you spent much time listening to prayers and testimonies in my stake. General conference prayers seem to have a fair number of references to him in such manner as well. If people are going to go out of their way to be that pious, they should do it in true Mormon fashion and give only the first initial of one name. I don't think 'Even J.' has as much punch, so they should probably go the other way with it.

Apologies for my sacrilege, but I was in several meetings where people were giving prayers in the presence of the stake president yesterday, and I think every person referred to the Savior as 'Even'. It was impossible not to roll my eyes by the end of the day. How did this get started, and what is the purpose, really?
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              When was it revealed that the Savior goes by his middle name, and that his first name is Even? You'd think his full name is 'Even Jesus Christ' if you spent much time listening to prayers and testimonies in my stake. General conference prayers seem to have a fair number of references to him in such manner as well. If people are going to go out of their way to be that pious, they should do it in true Mormon fashion and give only the first initial of one name. I don't think 'Even J.' has as much punch, so they should probably go the other way with it.

Apologies for my sacrilege, but I was in several meetings where people were giving prayers in the presence of the stake president yesterday, and I think every person referred to the Savior as 'Even'. It was impossible not to roll my eyes by the end of the day. How did this get started, and what is the purpose, really?
                              He was named after the oldest sons of friends who lived down the street from Joseph-- the Stevens.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                He was named after the oldest sons of friends who lived down the street from Joseph-- the Stevens.
                                Good people, those Stevens, right cowboy?

Comment

Working...
                                X