Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-----------------------
    Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:21 AM.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      Let's say it is only a matter of convenience and nothing else, why in the hell isn't BYU backing off until the criminal prosecution is complete? Suspend the process and let her stay in school. It is going to take a really horrible human being to criticize BYU for giving an alleged rape victim some space and helping keep her life normalized during the prosecution of the rapist.

I'm sure people are thinking this is just about criticizing BYU because of my hatred of their athletic department. Make no mistake, I hate BYU athletics. I will never apologize for my hatred of BYU athletics or relent, but this has nothing to do with that hatred. I note that I criticized my beloved Blackhawks for bringing Patrick Kane to camp while he was under investigation for sexual assault.
      Okay, I'll play the other side. Is this outrage over BYU refusing to suspend its investigation based in any legal obligation? Or just a moral one?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

-----------------------
        Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:21 AM.
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          It is moral outrage. I don't practice in Title IX law, so I honestly don't know there legal obligation.
          You weave and totter from outrage to outrage. It must be exhausting.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Okay, I'll play the other side. Is this outrage over BYU refusing to suspend its investigation based in any legal obligation? Or just a moral one?
            I kind of got that impression-- to enforce honor code issues at all, they have to try to enforce every case the same way, and every time they make an exception (no matter how reasonable) it makes it harder to justify when they won't make exceptions.

Of course, my position is that they should be "enforcing" the honor code the same way in every situation-- not at all.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
              That's "smack my bishop."
              If no one else is gonna give you props on this one,
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                If no one else is gonna give you props on this one,
                The kudos go to Dwight, no? NMD merely spelled out Dwight's joke.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Is it really "interfering" with a criminal prosecution though? I understand it is making it potentially difficult for the victim to stay in school. I guess the allegation is that if she's kicked out of school, she won't stay in Utah? Is there anything really keeping her from coming to Utah for the trial? Or is it just a matter of convenience?
                  Utah County Attorney Jeff Buhman agrees with you:

We deal with cases with victims all throughout the country and even internationally. We're able to do this," he said. "It might be a matter of minor inconvenience, but we can certainly do it.

Comment

But mpfunk can still be morally outraged, right?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

-----------------------
                      Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:27 AM.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Come on, guys. Funk has already promised that he is completely unbiased and objective about this issue. Seems believable.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          This is really just BYU's flavor of the problem of colleges trying to address sexual assault on college campuses. Trying to protect victims and afford due process to the accused has proven to be too difficult a task for colleges across the country. Better to simply refer the matter to law enforcement and let them handle it.

BYU's flavor of the problem is unique in that it asserts an interest in otherwise lawful conduct. But the solution's only a little different. If you don't want the University to have to delve into these issues and inevitably get it wrong from time to time, then leave it to the bishops. The honor code office should be reduced to approximately three people entering ecclesiastical endorsements into excel-- if not disbanded altogether.
                          My point all along.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                            How about just make it an academic honor code?
                            I like that as well.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

-----------------------
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

-----------------------
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X