The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    What sauces do you all like to use with pork? We made up a mustard/vinegar Carolina-style sauce to go with pork we brought to a ward potluck yesterday that I think went underappreciated; most still went for the regular barbecue sauce, but I've been thinking about that homemade sauce ever since.
    We were out of BBQ sauce one night, so I threw something together from ingredients we had on hand. It was really good, and I wish I would have recorded what I put in it.

Sadly, I'll never have that recipe again...

Comment

What sauces do you all like to use with pork? We made up a mustard/vinegar Carolina-style sauce to go with pork we brought to a ward potluck yesterday that I think went underappreciated; most still went for the regular barbecue sauce, but I've been thinking about that homemade sauce ever since.
      We may be heathen, but after trying a few different sauces have standardized on Sweet Baby Ray's. None of us care for the vinegar-based sauces.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
        We may be heathen, but after trying a few different sauces have standardized on Sweet Baby Ray's. None of us care for the vinegar-based sauces.
        That's our typical go to and what we were out of when I made that other sauce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          We were out of BBQ sauce one night, so I threw something together from ingredients we had on hand. It was really good, and I wish I would have recorded what I put in it.

Sadly, I'll never have that recipe again...
          Oh, no, oh!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

We use three with regularity. The first is the Lexington dip from the amazingribs website. It's a thin, vinegar-based sauce. It's my favorite on pulled pork. The second is a mustard-based sauce. The kids put that on everything now - not just pork, but burgers, tater tots, etc. The third is a souped-up version of whatever store-bought sauce we have.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
              We use three with regularity. The first is the Lexington dip from the amazingribs website. It's a thin, vinegar-based sauce. It's my favorite on pulled pork. The second is a mustard-based sauce. The kids put that on everything now - not just pork, but burgers, tater tots, etc. The third is a souped-up version of whatever store-bought sauce we have.
              Recipe?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I like a Carolina vinegar sauce the best, especially with some mayo and coleslaw and a toasted bun. My kids prefer Rudy’s bbq sauce, which if I use a bbq sauce it’s my go to. But I’m always light on my sauces since I like my ribs and/or the smoke to be the dominant taste.

Post your recipe for the sauce as I’d like to try it.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  I like a Carolina vinegar sauce the best, especially with some mayo and coleslaw and a toasted bun. My kids prefer Rudy’s bbq sauce, which if I use a bbq sauce it’s my go to. But I’m always light on my sauces since I like my ribs and/or the smoke to be the dominant taste.

Post your recipe for the sauce as I’d like to try it.
                  It came from one of the first web sites we could find:

1 cup yellow mustard
                  1/4 cup honey
                  1/4 cup light brown sugar
                  1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
                  1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo minced
                  1 tablespoon ketchup
                  2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
                  1 teaspoon garlic powder
                  ground black pepper to taste
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

1 cup yellow mustard
                    1/4 cup honey
                    1 tablespoon ketchup
                    1 teaspoon garlic powder
                    That sounds a lot like what I threw together.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

1 cup yellow mustard
                      1/4 cup honey
                      1 tablespoon ketchup
                      1 teaspoon garlic powder

Yes. Mustard/vinegar based sauce FTW. I will choose that 10 times out of 10 over something like Sweet Baby Ray's. Your recipe is similar to my own, though I usually mince some onion and saute that in a pan before adding the other ingredients.

There is a Stubbs mustard based BBQ sauce that is pretty good for store bought. But, like you say, it's pretty dang easy to make if you plan ahead.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Yes. Mustard/vinegar based sauce FTW. I will choose that 10 times out of 10 over something like Sweet Baby Ray's. Your recipe is similar to my own, though I usually mince some onion and saute that in a pan before adding the other ingredients.

There is a Stubbs mustard based BBQ sauce that is pretty good for store bought. But, like you say, it's pretty dang easy to make if you plan ahead.
                        Sticky fingers has a mustard based sauce I like. Also for those that have been to Mission BBQ (East coast chain with a military theme, usually open close to bases) they have this white sauce that I guess is based on Bob Gibson's Alabama white sauce. It's so dang good. It goes great on pulled pork and pulled chicken. You have to ask for it as they don't have them out on the tables.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Tennessee Red is my favorite vinegar-based sauce.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Tennessee Red is my favorite vinegar-based sauce.
                            Yep. This sauce is so good. And it's great on everything. Chicken, beef, pork, pizza, eggs. I love it so much.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Tennessee Red is my favorite vinegar-based sauce.
                              Care to share your recipe?

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                                Care to share your recipe?
                                Commercial product. I purchase it at BBQ pit stop in Lehi but you can order online.

Comment

Working...
                                X