What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Stand your ground Clark. I agree with you. Not a fan of BIHBGM.

You like harmony? Then you probably love the best gosh dang hymn in the book (outside of the Christmas songs), which is... Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses! If TRUOS doesn't make the cut, then I'm out!
    Just looking for ways out now.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      Stand your ground Clark. I agree with you. Not a fan of BIHBGM.

You like harmony? Then you probably love the best gosh dang hymn in the book (outside of the Christmas songs), which is... Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses! If TRUOS doesn't make the cut, then I'm out!
      TRUOS is the #1 favorite song of the Hong Kong LDS community. I have sung that song more than 99% of Mormons.

Comment

We sang BIHBGM at my father in law's funeral because it was one of his favorites. Of course he was tone deaf, so singing parts was the least of his musical concerns.

I could probably classify it as a favorite of mine. It's a beautiful message that teaches us how to be more Christ-like.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          TRUOS is the #1 favorite song of the Hong Kong LDS community. I have sung that song more than 99% of Mormons.
          Ha ha! I served in Taiwan... and can confidently state I am a member of your 1%.

In one little branch where I served, we sang TRUOS as the closing hymn every Sac Mtg. One week the branch pres (who was a bit of nut) selected TRUOS as both the opening and closing hymn!
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

In a little branch I served in outside of quebec city the French members there loved --LOVED-- the hymn called Dans L'Eglise Ici Bas. It had been in the hymnal back in the 70s in English, but I don't recall its name. Its music was written by Mozart, if I recall correctly. I recall one week the song was performed by the "choir" in the branch as the special musical number and then again as the closing song (This may have had something to do with the limited repertoire of the pianist). I also became very fond of the song and wish it would go in to the next worldwide edition.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Yep. I don’t like it for that and other reasons. I hope it gets the ax.

Anyone know where Copelius is? I haven’t seen him chime in on this. I hope he’s writing the next great song of the restoration.
              On a bus to San Francisco with the choir. We sang in Costa Mesa Tuesday and LA last night. I really don't have much opinion on the hymns, but it's a safe bet that Pres. Nelson's hymn that was published in the Ensign a few years back is in. I don't write music. I tried arranging a piece when i directed the ward choir and out didn't turn out well. I just hope they keep enough cowboy poetry so I can keep bugging my wife in sacrament meeting. I also hope go tell aunt rhody still makes the cut.
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                On a bus to San Francisco with the choir. We sang in Costa Mesa Tuesday and LA last night. I really don't have much opinion on the hymns, but it's a safe bet that Pres. Nelson's hymn that was published in the Ensign a few years back is in. I don't write music. I tried arranging a piece when i directed the ward choir and out didn't turn out well. I just hope they keep enough cowboy poetry so I can keep bugging my wife in sacrament meeting. I also hope go tell aunt rhody still makes the cut.
                I am planning on being at your concert! Can you wave a hanky or something to say hello to me?
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

We did a great arrangement of BIHBGM in BYU Singers when I was in law school that I got to drop down to a F1. Lowest I've ever sang in performance. But I agree that the version in the current hymn book leaves something to be desired.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    I am planning on being at your concert! Can you wave a hanky or something to say hello to me?
                    Which one?

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Which one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        The Jason Thirsk tribute version.
                        of course
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                          Which one?
                          He probably doesn't care; any old white one should do the job.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

In a little branch I served in outside of quebec city the French members there loved --LOVED-- the hymn called Dans L'Eglise Ici Bas. It had been in the hymnal back in the 70s in English, but I don't recall its name. Its music was written by Mozart, if I recall correctly. I recall one week the song was performed by the "choir" in the branch as the special musical number and then again as the closing song (This may have had something to do with the limited repertoire of the pianist). I also became very fond of the song and wish it would go in to the next worldwide edition.
                            "Though in the Outward Church Below" was one of my favorites in the old hymnbook, becoming such while I served in Mozart's birthplace. So yeah, add it back. It may have been dropped because of the challenging bass line in the chorus that I enjoyed belting out.

I should also mention that I'd like "How Great Thou Art" to remain, for selfish reasons. When my sister died in '89 at the age of 45, a soloist sang that song very movingly, including the line, "I hear the rolling thunder." The night of my sis's death, there were several thunderclaps in our area, which was esp. strange as lightning/thunder in the Bay Area is pretty rare, esp. in August. Each time I hear that song I have some pretty strong, bittersweet feelings.

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                            Which one?
                            I suspect creek is going to the Greek on Saturday, as that's much closer to his casa. I'd attend Monday's performance at the Mountain View Shoreline, but I'll be visiting Ben & Jerry in Vermont that day and won't get back in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                              Which one?
                              Sat at the Greek. A royal blue hanky.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Sat at the Greek. A royal blue hanky.
                                Great. My sweat towel is gray though. Come say hi after the concert. I'll slow walk to the bus.

Comment

Working...
                                X