Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I saw this on FB and was pretty jealous. I troll craigslist for high quality smokers and come up empty handed. How are you finding these gems, DT?
    I found this one on a Yoder smoker page on FB. Can’t say I’ve seen one in Utah, but have seen them come up in AZ and Colorado. And a bunch back east.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

I saw this on FB and was pretty jealous. I troll craigslist for high quality smokers and come up empty handed. How are you finding these gems, DT?
      Your stock vested in February. Just buy a new one.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Your stock vested in February. Just buy a new one.
        Have you seen our stock price??!! Haha.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/52148527

If you want to one up Lebowski!
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
            https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/52148527

If you want to one up Lebowski!
            Wow, that is a big smoker! Kind of ugly though.

So we have decided to do pulled pork sliders for my daughters wedding reception in August. I will be cooking 20 or so butts. Given the catering bids we have received prior to making this decision, the cost savings on this one event will cover most of the cost of my Stumps smoker.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Wow, that is a big smoker! Kind of ugly though.

So we have decided to do pulled pork sliders for my daughters wedding reception in August. I will be cooking 20 or so butts. Given the catering bids we have received prior to making this decision, the cost savings on this one event will cover most of the cost of my Stumps smoker.
              Which model do you have? I'm thinking about travelling long distance for an XL Baby (or is it Baby XL?), but I'm not sure how I'm going to transport it.

Comment

Which model do you have? I'm thinking about travelling long distance for an XL Baby (or is it Baby XL?), but I'm not sure how I'm going to transport it.
                The Classic:

https://stumpssmokers.com/the-classic/

Wow, the price has gone way up. We negotiated the price down to ~$3200 then paid about $800 for freight from Georgia -> Utah.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

The Classic:

https://stumpssmokers.com/the-classic/

Wow, the price has gone way up. We negotiated the price down to ~$3200 then paid about $800 for freight from Georgia -> Utah.
                  Nice. I'm looking at a trailer with two Stumps smokers mounted on it (a stretch and a junior). My kids and I have been thinking of business ideas for the summer, and I think we can get some traction with BBQ. Plus the added mobility is nice. Now to convince the Mrs.!!!!

Comment

Nice. I'm looking at a trailer with two Stumps smokers mounted on it (a stretch and a junior). My kids and I have been thinking of business ideas for the summer, and I think we can get some traction with BBQ. Plus the added mobility is nice. Now to convince the Mrs.!!!!
                    Ahh...another nice part about living in Texas, am I right? California isn't as friendly as that.

Comment

I have seen guys who travel the city celebration circuit in Utah and sell BBQ plate dinners. Pulled pork sandwiches with sides for $10/plate. I have done this enough to know I can do that for cost of ~$2.50 per plate, including plates, utensils, etc. Or less. I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but it would be fun to do on the side with some kids.

Comment

I have seen guys who travel the city celebration circuit in Utah and sell BBQ plate dinners. Pulled pork sandwiches with sides for $10/plate. I have done this enough to know I can do that for cost of ~$2.50 per plate, including plates, utensils, etc. Or less. I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but it would be fun to do on the side with some kids.
                        I remember a gig that DT and I did for a 60th Wedding Anniversary. 125 people. We did chicken and a handful of side. It was in July. We set a record level for temperatures for that day at 108 degrees. I think it took both of us probably 4 days to recover from the heat stroke. It was bad. I probably drank 6-8 32 oz. Gatorade's, and close to a gallon of water for the 8 hours that we were there. I didn't pee once.

That's when you start to reassess life. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          I remember a gig that DT and I did for a 60th Wedding Anniversary. 125 people. We did chicken and a handful of side. It was in July. We set a record level for temperatures for that day at 108 degrees. I think it took both of us probably 4 days to recover from the heat stroke. It was bad. I probably drank 6-8 32 oz. Gatorade's, and close to a gallon of water for the 8 hours that we were there. I didn't pee once.

That's when you start to reassess life. Lol.
                          My goodness. 108 degrees would be brutal.

Comment

• I guess I'm in the game!

Got a Cabela's gift card a little bit back, then came a 10% off email yesterday. So I went looking with my wife, and she told the salesman we'd take one of the Cabela's name brand pellet grills. I've been looking at various models and types for years - but she decided she wanted something simple that she could use if she wanted to when I wasn't there. And that (to her) meant pellet grill.

I know it's not necessarily top of the line - but the display model looked pretty solid and reviews were good. It's at home now, waiting for me to put it together so I can try it out this weekend. Just gotta decide what to cook first.

If I waited until I could afford the one I "really" want, I'd be waiting a while longer. So I'm excited to get in the game now with what I've got.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              I guess I'm in the game!

Got a Cabela's gift card a little bit back, then came a 10% off email yesterday. So I went looking with my wife, and she told the salesman we'd take one of the Cabela's name brand pellet grills. I've been looking at various models and types for years - but she decided she wanted something simple that she could use if she wanted to when I wasn't there. And that (to her) meant pellet grill.

I know it's not necessarily top of the line - but the display model looked pretty solid and reviews were good. It's at home now, waiting for me to put it together so I can try it out this weekend. Just gotta decide what to cook first.

If I waited until I could afford the one I "really" want, I'd be waiting a while longer. So I'm excited to get in the game now with what I've got.
                              I started smoking ribs with a $40 charcoal grill from Wal-Mart. They were still pretty dang tasty!

Comment

My goodness. 108 degrees would be brutal.
                                Yeah...if the heat wasn't enough, standing next to the trailer was like sitting on the surface of the sun.

Comment

Working...
                                X