Official FIFA 2018 Russia World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    Everything is age until you get to high school. It has been that way for as long as I can remember and I am old.
    See!? They've been screwing us for decades!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
      Everything is age until you get to high school. It has been that way for as long as I can remember and I am old.
      http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/us_yout...ation_mandate/

This is when they split up my son's team that was previously based on school year. I think other Utah clubs were the same at the time, but I could be wrong.
      Last edited by jay santos; 10-11-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Lots of good thoughts.

My observations as to the shortcomings of US Soccer.

Development. The Club system is a money-maker but not good at identifying and developing the best players to end up on the national team. There has been a slow transition to the Academy teams tied to a MLS team and scholarships for poor kids.

Style of Play dictated from the top down. In nations that have successful national campaigns the entire U-17, U-20 and U-23 teams adopt the philosophy and style of play so that the national coaches may encourage a style of play and player to be developed. Spain exemplified this for a while and Germany and France are. Brazil didn't need to dictate a philosophy but now notices other nations have surpassed them so that nation needs a system.

In short, the Hodge-podge approach of the US doesn't work.

How to fix:

1. Beef up the Academy system and create many, many more scholarship for low income youth. The pipeline must be full. There is a mistaken belief we aren't getting enough good athletes. BS. We aren't identifying them and retaining them.

2. Empower the national coaches to set the style and stick to it. Know our strengths and weaknesses. The US does not produce a lot of creative forwards and attacking mids. We produce historically good GKs, sometimes center backs and occasionally wings. We need to adopt a national style which caters to that. Is this a direct or indirect? Do we play from the back? I don't see us having the forwards necessary to use the direct approach, but maybe I'm wrong.

3. We need to encourage and create opportunities for kids just to play. Play in the backyard and on the school grounds. Why does the US produce the most creative basketball players, because every kid is trying out some new move. I was in Brazil in '14 in Rio. Every person was playing with a soccer ball or futsal on beach. It is a cultural thing. In the Latin communities we see that, but not so much in the non-Latin communities. There need to be efforts to change that.

Depositing my two cents.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/us_yout...ation_mandate/

This is when they split up my son's team that was previously based on school year. I think other Utah clubs were the same at the time, but I could be wrong.
          Same thing happened to my daughter's team.
          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            Soccer has done that forever. Youth football around here is the same. Based on age not grade.
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Been doing that since the 90s in Utah, probably longer.
            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            It was based on age, but they had the age calendar year match the same calendar as the school year (Oct-Sept). They changed the year to start at the calendar year at January (Jan-Dec). This change happened a couple of years ago and caused total havoc on comp teams. Old comp teams were essentially from the same grade, they now cross grades.
            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
            SU

Comment

• Americans suck at soccer. That’s why we call it soccer and not football, like the rest of the world. We’ve always sucked. Always have and always will. Time to face the music and focus on other sports we dominate because other countries don’t care for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                It was based on age, but they had the age calendar year match the same calendar as the school year (Oct-Sept). They changed the year to start at the calendar year at January (Jan-Dec). This change happened a couple of years ago and caused total havoc on comp teams. Old comp teams were essentially from the same grade, they now cross grades.
                They also made that change almost concurrent with the silly determination that U-10 and below couldn't head the ball. Lots of silly rules enacted by US Soccer.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  They also made that change almost concurrent with the silly determination that U-10 and below couldn't head the ball. Lots of silly rules enacted by US Soccer.
                  In the current climate why would anyone want to take steps to protect players from repeated head trauma (and themselves from the risk of lawsuits) until science can more conclusively quantify the risks? So silly!
                  Last edited by Omaha 680; 10-11-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    In the current climate why would anyone want to take steps to protect players from repeated head trauma (and themselves from the risk of lawsuits) until science can more conclusively quantify the risks? So silly!
                    American players are already behind skill of other nations and the head trauma literature is conflicted at best.

Comment

• Football is not the only sport.
                      foosball tables by foosball zone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarik View Post
                        Football is not the only sport.
                        Some might consider that blasphemy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          Uh, that's a good one actually.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Yeah, I don't mind that. But it's a bummer when you're a defender and accidentally head it out of instinct and the other team ends up with a PK.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Yeah, I don't mind that. But it's a bummer when you're a defender and accidentally head it out of instinct and the other team ends up with a PK.
                              well that should not happen, the correct restart is an IFK.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Yeah. Kids neck muscles aren't developed enough to safely head a soccer ball. There are some 10 year olds out there with pretty strong legs.

Im all for minimizing head injury risk. Watching my daughter in HS head the ball makes me cringe.
                                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Working...
                                X